Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nonresident who will be resident and draw question

Default Nonresident who will be resident and draw question

The way I read it is a nonresident can apply for a resident tag if they will be a resident when that hunt area opens. Others have told me that as long as the season is open after the date I become a resident even if it actually opens before the residency date I could apply. I have stopped by game and fish and the person I talked to couldn't verify. Does anyone know for sure? It could make a difference in areas I would apply for. I will play on safe side and only apply for areas that open after the residency date unless I can find out for sure. What's your thoughts. Thanks

A quick search of the ADFG site...

I am trying to apply for a resident draw permit because I will have reached residency status by the time the permit is valid. What license do I need to purchase?
    You will need to purchase a nonresident license since at the time of purchase, you are a nonresident. You will then have to log out of the system and go back in and apply for the resident draw permits. To apply for the resident draw permits, you need to select resident for your residency status. The system does not allow you to purchase a nonresident license and apply for resident draw permits in the same transaction, nor does it allow you to apply for resident hunts when you tell it you are a nonresident.

Just my interpretation, so don't take it as gospel. Definitely get confirmation from ADF&G first. If the person you see at the desk isn't sure, keep asking more people until you find someone who is sure.

I think you are good as long as you fit the legal definition of a resident when you go hunting. If you will become a resident before the hunt happens, you should be good. If you become a resident after the hunt starts, but before the end of that season, then if you are hunting it as a resident, you need to make sure to wait until you are a resident. Essentially, if you apply for a resident drawing permit and get it, you can't hunt for that permit until you have passed that date where you legally become a resident even if that season opens before.

I'm not quite sure how applying goes though. If you aren't a resident yet, you won't be able to get a resident hunting license. You need to have a hunting license to apply for permits, so you might still be stuck with getting a non-res hunting license just to apply for permits unless you already have a license from last year.

EDIT: Looks like anything beat me to it.

Thanks I do realize I have to get a nonresident hunting license and I have I problem with that. It would be nice to have someone from game and fish say the same as your interpretation anch!! As I would definitely apply for some other tags as I will be a resident on August 28 and would be nice to be able to apply for certain tags that open before that date. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ryansven View Post
    Thanks I do realize I have to get a nonresident hunting license and I have I problem with that. It would be nice to have someone from game and fish say the same as your interpretation anch!! As I would definitely apply for some other tags as I will be a resident on August 28 and would be nice to be able to apply for certain tags that open before that date. Thanks

Read the way the question I posted was written. It's basically saying that if you are a resident by the time the permit is valid, then you are good to go. If there were any issue with it, I would have thought that the answer to the question would have mentioned it. Anyways, the only way to be more certain is to ask ADFG yourself, and you won't find any ADFG replies on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    Read the way the question I posted was written. It's basically saying that if you are a resident by the time the permit is valid, then you are good to go. If there were any issue with it, I would have thought that the answer to the question would have mentioned it. Anyways, the only way to be more certain is to ask ADFG yourself, and you won't find any ADFG replies on this site.
    Thanks for clarification. I can see that it could be taken both ways too like other pieces I read. I will stop by game and fish and see if I can talk with someone else this time. Thanks

The way I read it is a nonresident can apply for a resident tag if they will be a resident when that hunt area opens. Others have told me that as long as the season is open after the date I become a resident even if it actually opens before the residency date I could apply. I have stopped by game and fish and the person I talked to couldn't verify. Does anyone know for sure? It could make a difference in areas I would apply for. I will play on safe side and only apply for areas that open after the residency date unless I can find out for sure. What's your thoughts. Thanks

I had this issue when I moved up and I never had an issue the way I did it. I purchased a resident license and applied for only tags that I would be a resident at the time. I did purchase a non-res too, so I could hunt before I was officially a resident. I needed to hunt though, so that's why I did it that way.
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

HuntAK59...How can you purchase a resident license if you aren't a resident? And did you have a non-resident license and a resident license at the same time? (That's the way your post looks.)
    "Grin and Bear It"

Draw hunt supplement, READ THIS SECTION BEFORE APPLYING, Non resident hunters who will be a resident BEFORE THE STARTING DATE of the hunt may apply however they will have to buy a non resident license.

HUNTak59 did you also buy non resident tags with your non resident license?

Quote Originally Posted by Happily View Post
    Draw hunt supplement, READ THIS SECTION BEFORE APPLYING, Non resident hunters who will be a resident BEFORE THE STARTING DATE of the hunt may apply however they will have to buy a non resident license.

That's the way I see it...
    "Grin and Bear It"

I feel like I've heard that a non-resident in such a situation can buy a non-resident small game license for purposes of the draw, while obviously needing to buy the full hunting license once becoming a resident. Can anyone verify or refute this? I have a friend in this same situation this year - will be a resident in July, and obviously would be nice if the less expensive small game license would suffice for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I feel like I've heard that a non-resident in such a situation can buy a non-resident small game license for purposes of the draw, while obviously needing to buy the full hunting license once becoming a resident. Can anyone verify or refute this? I have a friend in this same situation this year - will be a resident in July, and obviously would be nice if the less expensive small game license would suffice for now.
    If you are applying for draw permits...you must purchase a 'big game' non-resident license, not a small game non-resident license.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    If you are applying for draw permits...you must purchase a big game non-resident license.
    Yep, you're right - didn't see that it specified big game license.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yep, you're right - didn't see that it specified big game license.
    Yes one must purchase the full hunting license for $85.

I spoke with game and fish today and the actual season you are applying for has to open on or after the date of officialy residency to apply, so it was the way I was interpreting it. Thanks

...Thanks
    You're welcome...
    "Grin and Bear It"

out of curiosity, which F&G office did you talk with? I've had a very different experience in talking to Anchorage vs Palmer

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    HuntAK59...How can you purchase a resident license if you aren't a resident? And did you have a non-resident license and a resident license at the same time? (That's the way your post looks.)
    Yes. I did. And I even drew a tag that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Happily View Post

Not the year I applied. I moved June 2010. Bought non resident license and non res bear tag. (tagged out with akrstabout). Nov 2011, I bought a non resident license (to hunt small game). And then I bought a resident license and appleid for resident tags in drawing supp. So, I paid a heck of a lot of money, but got to hunt all year.

When I moved to Kodiak I put in for draws that I could hunt when I became a resident. I bought the nonresident license and when I became a resident I brought the non-resident license in and they hand wrote on the license saying I was a resident. That way I didn't I have to buy another license.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    Yes. I did. And I even drew a tag that year.
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    Not the year I applied. I moved June 2010. Bought non resident license and non res bear tag. (tagged out with akrstabout). Nov 2011, I bought a non resident license (to hunt small game). And then I bought a resident license and appleid for resident tags in drawing supp. So, I paid a heck of a lot of money, but got to hunt all year.
    Thanks for the response.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast