Thread: Air rifle question

Default Air rifle question

I as looking for a low powered air rifle for shooting in the yard. I want something reasonably low priced and accurate. I was thinking about the pump up Crosman/Benjamin. I know the old Benjamin rifles (from about 40 years ago) were quite nice but haven't had any experience with the new ones. Any recommendations? Thanks....Louis
    Louis Knapp

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    I as looking for a low powered air rifle for shooting in the yard. I want something reasonably low priced and accurate. I was thinking about the pump up Crosman/Benjamin. I know the old Benjamin rifles (from about 40 years ago) were quite nice but haven't had any experience with the new ones. Any recommendations? Thanks....Louis
    Hard to beat a springer (spring piston) for plinking. The pump up rifles can be powerful but all the pumping is a drag.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

If you haven't looked for quite a few years, you are in for a shock! try this to get you up to date, http://www.pyramydair.com/
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I've had a Benjamin for about 40 years. Used to shoot it all the time. But you can mark the date I quit shooting it by the date I picked up a spring piston. I still shoot it once in a while, but never for more than about 5 shots. Then I put it away and go back to the springer.

Several cheaper springers in the house, and they're fine. But I mostly quit shooting those when I picked up a Beeman R7 about 10 years ago. Accuracy is so much better, I'll never be satisfied with anything else ever again.

Lotta folks are in love with the 1k+ fps guns, but not this kid. About as noisy as a 22LR, and problematic for backyard shooting both for noise and extra precautions for backstop. I shoot my R7 indoors a lot, but one visit from a friend with a 1k+ model, and my wife darned near forbade all indoor shooting. Just waaaay too noisy and nowhere near as accurate. Harder to find these days, but if I was going shopping again I'd still be looking for a gun in the 500-750 fps range and as good quality as my budget would allow. I've used the R7 a lot for snowshoe hare and red squirrel, and a head shot is a head shot. No need for all that velocity when the gun is accurate enough to deliver a head shot. If accuracy is such that all you can make is body shots, then by all means pile on the velocity.

Thanks guys for the replies. There does seem to be a huge variety of pneumatic guns to choose from these days! I should have been more specific and said I was going to use the rifle for target shooting in the yard with the family. Having the velocity to humanely dispatch game is not as important as low noise and velocity in order to avoid causing the neighbors grief. I would like to have something that is reasonably accurate in the 25 yard range and was hoping to spend under $200.00.....Louis
    Louis Knapp

In truth, I'd stop well short of your current goal with the family involved. Just get a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun and use bigger targets. Lots lighter and easier to operate than most pellet rifles for small folk use, yet perfect for general safety training and marksmanship practice. Quiet as can be, too. That will get you in the game right away, and you can slow down and make better choices when it's time to move up to the full size gun.

I can tell you for absolute darn tooting that a Sheridan or other multi-pump is likely to be really hard for youngsters to operate, and too heavy for offhand shooting. When our granddaughter was just starting out, I went one step lower and cheaper. Got a cheap air soft rifle and she worked with that for a year before I moved up to the Red Ryder. She really excelled because both were really appropriate for her age and strength. Her mom (our daughter) can be a bit of a tytazz sometimes and she was really anti about starting her so young until I came up with the air soft. Once that was under the belt and going well, it was pretty easy to start moving up the price and power scale.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I've had a Benjamin for about 40 years.
    Me too......22cal w/ scope. Last things I've killed with it was a couple pen raised pheasants that got loose here in AK. Head shots.

Mmmmm......good...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Check out the Crosman Custom Shop:

http://www.crosman.com/custom-shop

I have the pistol (rifle available, too) with the Lothar choked barrel, Williams sight, and rifle stock. Great accuracy, not too loud, very easy to use, light weight - lots of fun.
    Grips are the only plastic and you can upgrade - lots of available mods. Can be fired in the garage with a good pellet trap or such.
    Cost a bit more, but approaches match grade accuracy at far lower cost.

Boys and I have an old Benjamin 132 pistol that has held up for many years. We also had a Crosman pump rifle that lasted.
    The new Crosman I have is far more accurate.
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler