Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving/ATV questions

Default Moving/ATV questions

We are moving to Palmer in a few months from Atlanta Georgia. We want to buy a couple of atv's and my debate is whether to buy them done here at a reasonable price and haul them in the moving truck vs buy them up there. Any input on atv prices up there vs the lower 48 vs transportation cost and space to get them up there?

Thanks for the help

You'll find better prices down there, freight cost/space is always an issue. I try to support local shops, but on a couple ATV's you will save a lot down there.

Do some calling, internet searching on the prices. You'll burn more fuel with a couple atv's driving up. Also when you purchase something like that, it is prepped for the area you buy it in. Think anti freeze, gear lube, carb settings, and things like that.
    A company I worked for here on the Kenai used to purchase their trucks near the company headquarters in Dallas and have them shipped up. They had NO insulation in the cab, and all the fluids were compatible with Texas weather. We had to do a lot of work on them before we could use them in our climate.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

There is a great used market (CL, Alaska List, this Forum, etc.) for ATVs here, but new is mostly MSRP...depends on what you want and the style you plan to ride. There are trails, but almost everywhere you have mud, mud, and more mud, so keep that in mind. Side by sides are very popular, but due to the width they can not go every place a 4 wheeler can without the use of a chainsaw ;-) Almost everywhere you go you will need a trailer, and trailers are very expensive here. Many folks buy a trailer down in America, tow it up here with there stuff, then either use it or sell it to pay for their trip north. Hope that gives you a few thinks to think about...
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Just a thought, but what is a "few months"? Are you driving the ALCAN in January or are you using a moving company? I live in Palmer and drove the ALCAN last December towing a 35' fifth wheel. Not fun, wouldn't want to do it again. Good luck on your move and your ATV decision...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

It would depend on the price of the machine, etc....but in large- any money you save on the machine will be gobbled up in fuel and moving expenses.

The only person I saw that made it pay off was a guy who bought a decked out Argo.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Depends on what your looking for ? I went back To SC last year and priced the Yamaha's I buy up here vs down there I got them cheaper up here.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I would think that the quantity of machines sold up here is huge compared with the number sold in Atlanta. At the end of year like we are in now you can probably get a great deal on two machines up here. If you are sure about moving up here it might pay to have them waiting for you. You can deal over the dealer websites.

Thank you guys for replying so far! It has given me a lot to think through. We are looking to purchase either Yamaha or Honda between the 400-550CC range, fuel injection and or power steering would be a plus.

We are moving in about 4 months- March time frame and are driving up the Alcan, and if we can't do that we have already spoken to a moving company and worked that out as a back up. Either way it is either expensive or miserable but that is the hand we are dealt so we will make the best of it!

We love Atlanta, but we are looking forward to something new and different! Bring it on!

Someone mentioned side by sides.. I have 2 kids ages 4 and 6. Would you guys get a side by side (4 person) instead of 2 quads? We mostly want them for fishing trips, hunting and getting out the the middle of nowhere to relax

Quote Originally Posted by jakewilliams View Post
    We are moving to Palmer in a few months from Atlanta Georgia. We want to buy a couple of atv's and my debate is whether to buy them done here at a reasonable price and haul them in the moving truck vs buy them up there. Any input on atv prices up there vs the lower 48 vs transportation cost and space to get them up there?

Thanks for the help
    We moved up here three years ago from Paulding county. Are you already hauling a trailer? And when are you moving up? A few months means it'll still be winter up here. Might not e the safest for a southern boy to drive on the icy roads (assuming you are originally from the ATL).
    Anyways I say all this to say that coming from your location it's about a 4200 mile drive. I think the extra cost I'm gas is offset by the higher cost to buy up here. Not sure what the resale value of your ATvs are but it might cost the same to just sell then rebuy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in_AK View Post
    I would think that the quantity of machines sold up here is huge compared with the number sold in Atlanta. At the end of year like we are in now you can probably get a great deal on two machines up here. If you are sure about moving up here it might pay to have them waiting for you. You can deal over the dealer websites.
    Believe it or not I would wager to say there are more ATVs sold down in ATL than up here.

My suggestion would be to wait until you got up here, to see what type of riding you will be doing. Not all machines are good for all types of riding. While some of the prices might be a little higher here, if you watch the sales and Craig's list, ine can get some good deals.
    Also if you are gong to attempting the Alcan in the winter months, you will need to spend more time getting your vehicle and passengers ready for the trip. It can be done and is done by quite a few people, just be ready for the enexpected. It is not a trip for the timmid!!!!

If you drive up the Parks in September you might see some well maintained lightly used wheelers for sale near the Big Su!
    If we all agreed....this would be no fun

The biggest issue with wide by sides is that they are big, excuse the pun. The bigger your rig, the more limitations you will find in Alaska. Almost every off road opportunity will find you in mud and/or swamps with tons of trees. The bigger SxS will require either a winch in front and one in back, or a set up where you can easily move your winch from front to back. I would suggest a small chain saw as well, as you will need it on many trails to get one of these where all the 4 wheelers are going.

Brand wise, you see mostly Polaris on the trails here. I don't own one, but they are very popular...then Arctic Cat and Can-Am where I ride. A few Yamaha machines and Hondas on a rare occasion. Not sure why, but that is what I see (not trying to start a flame war). I think all the main brands have great machines. Things I look for are first, a high ground clearance then EFI. Most of the stock tires are garbage IMHO, so getting good mud tires is a must and you will find them FAR cheaper in SC than in AK.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I know that House of Yamaha in Big Lake will give you prices via e-mail so it might be worth checking with them on prices versus what you are looking for. They were $500 cheaper per atv than another local dealer here when I bought 2.

Just bought a 2014 polaris sportsman 570 without power steering in august. Cost was $6400 WITH A WINCH <-- must have

You can find deals up here. In the Fall they are selling last years models. I like Hondas, I wouldn't own a cheap *** Polaris, unless you like working on them more than riding them...

As to brands: the OP talked about riding 2 up on the machine. I think that is one of the +++ for the Polaris. I like how their box can be used to haul stuff and then be changed into a seat for the second rider.

I stopped by the Polaris dealer near Nancy Lakes in August to pick up a brochure and get a ball park $...it was higher than HunterHicks. I would need power steering and I'm not sure how the models he bought compare to what I was looking at. Didn't seem like any discount, but they did include a winch. On the drive back to the cabin I saw a guy riding his wheeler on the side of the road...actually he was pulling his cable out as he was stuck in the mud. Winch looked like a good idea!

I agree with the winch idea. I keep my wheeler on maintained trails. I rarely take it off road. I stay away from the muck, except during spring goose hunting season. Main reason is that the wheeler is our family car in the village. I had to help pull some students out of the muck last year. It was late september/early october. They were riding along the shrinking beach and they just got stuck. 5 hours later we were able to pull them out with my machine and their shoveling. I still ahven't put a winch on yet, but eventually I will be.

I have the Polaris 4x4 that can ride 2 up or use the box on the back. My dog rides back there. Also have a Polaris 6 wheeler. Both very useful machines. Go big on the rubber, and don't leave the hard trail without a winch mounted, and tools. I even carry a small set of jumper cables as these machines aren't that easy to pull start, especially in cold weather when they've been sitting. I buried a tire and wheel I found on the beach in the midddle of nowhere and had a tail hold to winch myself out. Glad I had a small shovel.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast