Thread: 170gr Partition in 30-30

Default 170gr Partition in 30-30

I just picked up a couple hundred 170gr partitions from sps. I think this should be a perfect bullet for Blackbear, caribou, and moose in the 30-30.

I picked up an older marlin 336 last summer from a buddy of mine and put a lyman peep on it. I figured my 11 year old could use it for spring bear baiting next year. He shoots my encore 308, 130 TTSX @ 3000fps, pretty good but the recoil starts to get to him after a few shots and the 30-30 is more fun for him to shoot. I also figured a repeater might be nice too.

Depending on how well he does with the peep I might mount a small red dot on the rifle for spring bear. Ranges would most likely be under 50-60 yards with plenty of time for him to line up the shot and I'll be there to back him up with a big gun, 375 Rum or 45/70. Too many brownies around to go in without an artillery piece!

I have quite a bit of IMR 4895, varget, H414, and 748 to play with. Anybody have any pet loads for the 30-30 and this bullet? Any experience with this bullet on big game?

There's a good deal on a Truglo red dot sight on the swap and sell forum.
    I used that bullet in a 30-30 Contender for Columbia Blacktail deer. More bullet than needed for such a small animal, but I had a bunch from a trade, and they put them down quite handily. I usually used Hornady 150s on them, which worked fine also. Ranges were 30-50 yards. I think the Partitions would be excellent on spring bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    ...perfect bullet for Blackbear, caribou, and moose....
    No doubt. Haven't used that bullet, but I can't say I've ever had trouble with ANY bullet in the 30-30. In fact, I've probably killed more animals (all deer) with a 170 grain cast bullet @ 1800fps from a rifle than any other. Never recovered a bullet and never had to track the recipient of a shot. My historic go-to powder with the round was 3031 until I came across RL7 while testing loads for a 30-30 Contender barrel. Now I use it for all my 30-30 loads. I bet you'll find a good powder among those you have. The 30-30 is a very forgiving round to load, so long as you don't start chasing max vel.... Max vel loads in a 30-30 just don't make sense to me, but I'm a kinda slow mover myself.

Not going to bad mouth any Partitions for sure as that's what I shoot. But personally I feel that even a 150 would still do just fine and still carry a bit further if needed.

Not to side track....curious as to why you wouldn't want your boy to get used to using regular open sights...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I'm a big peep sight fan, I have had him shoot a 22lr some with the regular open sights but the added sight radius and ease of a peep if far superior for me.

The reason I thought a small red dot might be handy was that black post on black hair in potentially low light could pose a problem.

I started both my kids with red dots on 22lr. The immediate payoff was very evident. It was far simpler to have them put the dot on the balloon and pull the trigger. Reactive targets and simple sighting gives them instant gratification, it might as well be fun instead of frustrating.

Like a drug dealer after I got them hooked I started challenging them a little, making them achieve accuracy goals with peep sights before they could get a scope.

I see hunting much the same, it's my job to do all that I can to assure a good outcome and experience. If it takes a red dot for him to be proficient then that's what we will use.

I don't wAnt to mess with a system that's working

This is the little red dot sighted 22 I started both kids with. My son was 5 in this picture.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I'm dubious that the Nosler Partition bullet design would offer any advantages at 30-30 velocities.

Is there a need to prevent blowups and insure penetration with the 30-30??

I can't see how it would hurt, though. Cept, maybe in the pocket book.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

They were overstock so got them for less than $20 a box. Couldn't see going wrong with them

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

They were overstock so got them for less than $20 a box. Couldn't see going wrong with them
    KOO'wal.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I'm a big peep sight fan, I have had him shoot a 22lr some with the regular open sights but the added sight radius and ease of a peep if far superior for me.

The reason I thought a small red dot might be handy was that black post on black hair in potentially low light could pose a problem.

I started both my kids with red dots on 22lr. The immediate payoff was very evident. It was far simpler to have them put the dot on the balloon and pull the trigger. Reactive targets and simple sighting gives them instant gratification, it might as well be fun instead of frustrating.

Like a drug dealer after I got them hooked I started challenging them a little, making them achieve accuracy goals with peep sights before they could get a scope.

I see hunting much the same, it's my job to do all that I can to assure a good outcome and experience. If it takes a red dot for him to be proficient then that's what we will use.

I don't wAnt to mess with a system that's working

This is the little red dot sighted 22 I started both kids with. My son was 5 in this picture.

Love the picture!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could always used a paint pen and give him a white post up front. Much cheaper alternative and the iron sights leave less to go wrong. 30-30 will be plenty at close range for all the above, post us some pics of your load development hard to beat the old 30-30.

I've only used it in my 94 in .35-30 but Leverevolution works good in that case. Heavy (235 gr. cast) bullet at very low pressures with reduced loads to get that moving below 2K. It's made for the .30-30 to get good performance at lower pressure. RL 7 is also a great powder.

I'd be interested in the experiences with that powder by others.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I picked up two pounds of lever revolution tonight. We were shooting up some of the 150s I had on hand today. He was keeping his shots inside a 2.5-3" group with the peeps at 25 yards. He is still going to need to get a lot of practice in before spring.

I used Nosler 170grn partitions for years in my 30-06 for deer. I was hunting in the big woods where you would never get a shot over 100yrds and they were unreal. I hunted next to a knarly swamp where you did not want to have to chase a deer. I never had a deer go more than a few steps if at all. You had to pour the lungs out of them and there was always an exit wound. Great bullet for what you will be hunting. As for peep sights they can be all bad as that is what the Marines use to qualify with a rifle. they are taught to hit at 500yrds so they are lethal.

I think you made a good choice. Good bullet, good rifle design, and "good enough" for most critters.