Thread: Read this, they want our marsh and wildlife habitat

Default Read this, they want our marsh and wildlife habitat

Share on emailEmailPrint

Text Size-A+A

Add my name to the growing list of Alaskans opposed to the Department of Natural Resources quietly changing its mission statement without input from the residents of this state. Commissioner Dan Sullivan argues that there is no philosophical change intended with the new mission statement. Hogwash. If that were the case, then why was it done unilaterally rather than collaboratively with the people who own the natural resources? Why change the statement at all?
    The rewritten mission constitutes a substantial shift as demonstrated by the removal of "conserve" and "enhance" from the statement while leaving only "develop." Removing the reference to "future Alaskans" seals the deal.
    If you're going to do this, at least don't insult the intelligence of the residents of Alaska. We know we're being cut out of the process, we know who's being cut in, and we know you're cutting "future Alaskans," i.e., our children, out as well.
    -- Sharon Stockard
    Anchorage

Wasilla

Im not sure I would jump to the conclusion they want to close down the Hayflats...lol, but it is worth keeping an eye on. In the arcticle below Parnell said "the mission statement comes straight out of Alaska’s constitution, for department of naturals resources. It is Article 8 section 1 of the constitution". Not sure if this is good or bad.... Also note the date of both arcticles were in 2012?

http://www.alaskapublic.org/2012/02/...tement-change/

This is old news.... And it doesn't necessarily mean that they are coming for waterfowl habitat.

I'm really not all that interested in getting involved in a lot of politics, but this will affect us in the long run. They are trying to eliminate the public comment period and public review that is currently required to issue permits for mining and drilling within the Alaska refuge system. Many are not aware, but there is a great deal of privitely held marsh land within the Susitna Flats area across the inlet from Anchorage. The holders have discussed leasing out for oil and gas drilling and expolration. Some of the leaders of this state want to be able to lease out refuge property for the same thing, and this has been discussed. The Parnel administration has actively taken steps to bypass the public meeting and issue permits for this type of use. THIS IS A EXTREAMLY IMPORTANT ISSUE FOR US TO BE INVOLVED IN. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    I'm really not all that interested in getting involved in a lot of politics, but this will affect us in the long run. They are trying to eliminate the public comment period and public review that is currently required to issue permits for mining and drilling within the Alaska refuge system. Many are not aware, but there is a great deal of privitely held marsh land within the Susitna Flats area across the inlet from Anchorage. The holders have discussed leasing out for oil and gas drilling and expolration. Some of the leaders of this state want to be able to lease out refuge property for the same thing, and this has been discussed. The Parnel administration has actively taken steps to bypass the public meeting and issue permits for this type of use. THIS IS A EXTREAMLY IMPORTANT ISSUE FOR US TO BE INVOLVED IN. Bud
    True story. And not limited to the refuge system. They are actively working to remove public input from the permitting process and land use decisions across the board. Look at the effort that went into killing the Coastal Management Plan. This guy is all about exploitation for private profit, and citizen-owner input is a hindrance toward that end.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist