Thread: Insurance on cabin

Default Insurance on cabin

Wondering who you folks use for cabin insurance. We currently have insurance that falls under our home insurance- but the agent says it's crappy & we should shop around.

Quote Originally Posted by jubilation View Post
    Wondering who you folks use for cabin insurance. We currently have insurance that falls under our home insurance- but the agent says it's crappy & we should shop around.
    We just spoke with our agent about this issue. He would piggy back my home owners insurance for $35000, but there is a big catch. when they piggy back on your home insurance you have to pay the deductible for you house and property. So if you home costs 300,000 and your cabin is 50,000 you and you deductible is 2 percent, you would pay a lot. 6,700 roughly to pay the deductible on you cabin if something crazy happened. The good thing about this is usually they will not even send an agent. So if it is a total loss due to a massive forest fire, you can claim it. This is what I got out of all of this, I want to do it eventually when I get enough things on my property worth 35000.

Joe

I've heard State Farm will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't found a carrier yet for a cabin off the road system.
    Would love to be contacted by someone that has though....I think that agent would have alot of business if they would.
    BK

http://www.kenmurray.com/ << provides my insurance out of fire service area but road accessible, worth a shot.

Or

http://www.ruralalaska.com/
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Haven't found a carrier yet for a cabin off the road system.
    Would love to be contacted by someone that has though....I think that agent would have alot of business if they would.
    BK
    STATE FARM, But like I said, they attach it to your house insurance. Still not a bad gig if a fire sweeps through or a big flood.

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    http://www.kenmurray.com/ << provides my insurance out of fire service area but road accessible, worth a shot.

Or

http://www.ruralalaska.com/
    AKICE,
    Spoke with Heather at ruralalaska....must be on the road system as well....aarrgghhhh!

BK

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    STATE FARM, But like I said, they attach it to your house insurance. Still not a bad gig if a fire sweeps through or a big flood.
    Should I ask for "Jake"?
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Jake is definitely the one you want to speak to! Ours is insured through State Farm.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

We have State Farm as well- attached to our home insurance. I asked one of the ppl in the office & she wasn't sure WHAT/how coverage worked. (ie how a payout/proof/value of a potential claim would work). Another gal explained that we had 2 choices $35K & $70K. There are a bunch of exclusions in my opinion. The $35K doesn't include vandalism- the $70K does. Neither include 'willful destruction' (not an issue), neither include damage from rain/snow in case a window blows out or a pc of roof blows off. So, basically fire & they aren't sure how 'value' is calculated- we were advised to keep rcts & make an accounting of expense. No personal property is included- nor vehicles (unless we get a seperate policy for that). The $35K is about $600/yr & I *think* the $70K is around $800/yr. I wasn't sure about the deductable- thought it was the same as the house (about $3K)- but I'm expecting paperwork soon. Will be watching for better policies though....

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Should I ask for "Jake"?
    I speak with Andrew at the Eagle River Office, he is very knowledgeable. Tell him Joe Dunlavey Sent you.

We went through Safeco, which is the same company that our homeowners insurance is through. It is a seperate policy from our HO insurance.

We were long time State Farm users until we bought our cabin. We were told if the cabin was on a road it had to have elect. in order to be covered. If it wasn't on a road it didn't have to have elect. Ours was on a road, but we didn't have elect. hooked up. They would not cover our cabin. Made no sense.

We switched to All State for all our insurance. The cabin is on a separate policy. The agent is in Wasilla, just off the Lake by Fred's. Nice folks. The Wife was paying the bill over the phone one time and the gal told her to let them know when we started to build because they would start covering the materials when they hit our land. I'm sure there are no thieves in AK but it gave me some peace of mind.

Try Pippil insurance in Palmer.

I have had my homeowners with Allstate and they won't insure a cabin off the road system so we switched to State Farm. State Farm only has coverage for either 35,000 or 75,000, it is attached to your homeowners policy. Price is in the 600 range for the 35k and 800 range for the 75k. Deductible is the same as the house deductible which is 1% of what the house is covered for. They told me they will only reimburse up to 10% of contents inside the cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can try Rentschler Insurance. Larry insures Remote lodges and remote businesses. He could probably send you in the right direction. 272-8496 or ria@Alaska.net
    JOHN

I think there's alot of good info in this thread that will be handy for folks to view. I still have SF and the info I have is exactly the same as akriverunner mentioned. Fairly small coverage & no toys covered without a separate policy- but it's something. Seems like there are lots of rles & exclusions, but it always seems that way to me with insurance. I checked around & there were some places that would cover- but wow! The premiums were cost prohibitive. i hope I never have to make a claim!