Thread: Cold Bay Ptarmigan!

Default Cold Bay Ptarmigan!

I recently returned from doing a magazine assignment down at Cold Bay on the furthermost tip of the Alaska Peninsula. We were there to hunt waterfowl, but top "model" and pal, Ryan Schmidt, brought along one of his English Setters so that we could work her on the many willow ptarmigan on the Izembek Wildlife Refuge. Since I was "working" my dogs had to stay at home.

Thought you might like to see just a few of the photos I took on that adventure. The light was terrible for the most part because this is where bad weather is born, but we got some good images.

Good stuff, I really enjoyed ptarmigan hunting out there, almost more than waterfowl!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a great time. I look forward to going back out there someday.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Another teaser to complete the bucket list! Thanks Jim!
    When and what publication?

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    Another teaser to complete the bucket list! Thanks Jim!
    When and what publication?
    I believe Jim told me he should have something in Hunt Alaska, and Shooting Sportman from this trip!
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Hunt Alaska will carry the story on this trip in their Fall issue. Not sure when Shooting Sportsman will publish the story I did with them. They buy the story and photos and then place it into their "inventory" and fit it in where it's best for them. Might not go in until the November waterfowl issue?

Burke, did you see the article I have in the current issue of Gun Dog on my newest pup Clyde? Titled "Clyde and Me."

Jim

Cold Bay has a special place in my heart. Been going there almost 20 years. Packed alot of bears across those tundra humps. The kiddo thought she was all that AND a bag of chips when she shot this ptarmigan on the fly with one shot from the .22 pistol. I was shocked..

Jim, I did just pick up the magazine with Clyde and me story...gonna read it this week...in between spring break ptarmigan jaunts!
    I hope the snow conditions allow the dogs to get out and run...so far this winter has been crappy conditions around here. I havent been out in a few weeks though...