Thread: Need a shootgun

North west part of Sweden, close to the mountains

Default Need a shootgun

Hallo!
    Me and two of my friends are going to the nationalpark "gates of artic", for one month of small game hunting(ptarmigan, rabbits etc), fishing and hiking. Our plan is to be out in the mountins for at least 25days. We are flying from Sweden to Fairbanks, shopping there and then go by bus to Wiseman. We need a shootgun for hunting and for bearprotection.
    Does anyone in Fairbanks have a used shootgun to sell to us? We can give it back after our trip if you want. In Sweden i have a Remington 11/96 . Im an used hunter/shooter with Swedish gun/hunting licens but its too dificult for me to bring the guns to Alaska.
    I really like to buy a semiautomatic or a pump(Remington, Winchester or something like that), not to heavy...
    Best regards Karheruk

Default FYI

Gates of the Arctic is National Park / Perserve the park portion is closed to hunting.
    from their web site:

"Hunting Information
    You may carry firearms for protection. Be familiar with the weapon and its potential. Shooting, other than for protection, is prohibited in the park.
    Hunting is allowed for non-local hunters in the Preserve areas only. These lands constitute almost 1 million acres and are located in the northeast and southwest corners of the Park and Preserve. Hunting eligibility, seasons, and bag limits for non-local hunters fall under the State of Alaska Hunting Regulations.
    Ignorance is no excuse - you must know the law! If you violate a game law you are responsible for your actions. "
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

another thing to be aware of. to hunt small game with shotgun you have to be at least 5 miles off the haul road ( when north of the yukon river)
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Im sorry but what i can find out from this two sites its okay to hunt in the unit(area) 24 inside the park. Can somebody explain to me? Idont get it??http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul...dfs/smgame.pdf
    http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul...pdfs/gmu24.pdf

ERIK, IT IS NOT LEGAL TO HUNT IN THE PARK IN ANY GMU, BUT YOU CAN IN THE PRESERVE PART OF GATES OF THE ARCTIC. PRESERVE IS IN THE FAR NE AND SSW PORTIONS OF GATES OF THE ARCTIC......NOT NEAR TO WHERE YOU ARE PLANNING ON GOING. GATES OF THE ARCTIC WEB SITE HAS A MAP.....SOMEWHAT POOR BUT A MAP THAT GIVES ROUGH AREA OF WHERE THE PRESERVE IS LOCATED. PARK/ PRESERVE ARE FEDERAL LAND AND HAVE THEIR OWN RULES. PAT

Okay, now i understand. Im not so good at english:-(
    (Mostly of the time in school during englishclass, i was dreaming about hunting).
    So now i have to change my plan.Its okay to hunt in the north east of the park and north , outside the park?
    5miles from the road wouldnt cause any problem...
    Thanks for all help.

the park / perserve thing is confusing to many of us as are the game regulations. your english is fine. you speak and under stand at least two languages so you are doing great......i to was dreaming of hunting or fishing. during english class

yes NE portion of the "Gates of the Arctic" is part of the Preserve. if you look at the link i sent you about the Gates of the Arctic section that says map will show section in lighter green that are labeled perserve. getting USGS maps that would have the better detail would be advisable. so as you travel west you do not go too far and hunt in park...they are very.strict on that.
    suggestion look at south side of atigan pass, at bottom of steep portion head out of that valley to west and loop north shooting for galbreath lake area.......depending on how many miles you are looking at traveling. or start at G. lake and loop west and south up a valley there and turn back toward road at what ever point works for you.

Karhuerik, the laws regarding foreign tourists (called nonimmigrant aliens) posessing firearms in the United States are very strict. I looked at the statutes here:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#r

It appears that you would be allowed to posess a firearm if you are engaged in lawful sport hunting and have a sport hunting license. But even then, you are not allowed to buy a gun from a gun dealer unless you have been in the state for at least 90 days. I would strongly encourage you to contact the U.S. ATF and find out exactly what the regulations are. It would be a darn shame to fly all the way from Sweden only to find out that you are unable to posess a firearm.

A possible solution, if you are only interested in small game, would be a high powered air rifle. A good fine pellet rifle that might fit your needs would be something like this:

http://www.airgunsbbguns.com/Benjami...2_p/bnj392.htm

A head shot on a bird with a rifle like that would drop it dead. You also might be able to bring an air rifle into the country with you, it would definetely be something to look into. You could also look into bow hunting for birds, you will definetely need to practice practice practice if you do. Best of luck.

p.s. As far as bear protection goes, you're on your own there. Lots and lots of bear pepper spray would be an option I guess.