Thread: 2014 Moose antler mount

Default 2014 Moose antler mount

So I decided to try and save a little bit money and try and mount my antlers from this year. After spending time at the craft stores and fabric store I have about $75 worth of material. And with about 4-5 hours including surfing youtube for help here is the finished product.
    image.jpgimage.jpg

flippin nice. have a few to do if you want.

Nice work!!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

That is nice. Like the bullet mount. }:>
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Nice job there.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Nice job! Always fun to diy I think
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Wow that's awesome, were the antlers attached to the skull plate or did you use some sort of shed connector? What did you use for filler under the felt? How did you attach the rope trim at the base of the antlers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks awesome!

Looks good and by no means is the below link meant to take away from your work. Just showing that the kits are available delivered to your door for what you spent. I have used these kits and done my moose and caribou antlers. I did go to the fabric store to get fabric other than red so I guess it was not completely a "to my door step" kit, but in general the kits are not that expensive.

Again nice job!

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/AK6WR-P65C22.aspx

Limon32. First the skull plate as in tact I just had to cut it down a bit and secure it to a base board that ended up being covered in the leather in the end. The filler, well after watching youtube videos I ended up using pillow stuffing and it worked great. Used a heavy duty staple gun to secure the bottom of the leather the started stuffing and stapling as I went along. The used a hot glue gun to secure the decorticative rope around the antler base and another black rope where the leather attaches to the finished board to help get rid of the gap. This was my first mount job and if I were to do it all over again would have done a few things different. First I would have counter sunk the bolts holding the antler base to the finished based wood as they do protrude out the back of the finished board. And that made mounting them interesting. Second I would have bought a bigger finish back board as it's a little small.

Thanks to to all the others for the kinds words of my first mount job.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lookin good, hope that you are able to do more of these!

Quote Originally Posted by SEEBLAZE View Post
    So I decided to try and save a little bit money and try and mount my antlers from this year. After spending time at the craft stores and fabric store I have about $75 worth of material. And with about 4-5 hours including surfing youtube for help here is the finished product.
    image.jpgimage.jpg
    Yep........did my own too. But this was a long time before youtube was even thought about. Nothing to it really.....

Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Limon32. First the skull plate as in tact I just had to cut it down a bit and secure it to a base board that ended up being covered in the leather in the end. The filler, well after watching youtube videos I ended up using pillow stuffing and it worked great. Used a heavy duty staple gun to secure the bottom of the leather the started stuffing and stapling as I went along. The used a hot glue gun to secure the decorticative rope around the antler base and another black rope where the leather attaches to the finished board to help get rid of the gap. This was my first mount job and if I were to do it all over again would have done a few things different. First I would have counter sunk the bolts holding the antler base to the finished based wood as they do protrude out the back of the finished board. And that made mounting them interesting. Second I would have bought a bigger finish back board as it's a little small.

Thanks to to all the others for the kinds words of my first mount job.
    Thanks for the run down. Again that is awesome, I woulda paid for that!

I'm going to do some caribou sheds soon so I really appreciate the pointers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Done a few my self along with a little carving. Her are two Pics of 7 i have done
    20131029_080702 (1).jpgDSC01585.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by akspt View Post
    Done a few my self along with a little carving. Her are two Pics of 7 i have done
    20131029_080702 (1).jpgDSC01585.jpg
    Those are awesome! The carving is awesome, I on the othet hand don't believe I have the artistic ability to carve anything that that would end up looking like any animal that walks the earth. But do have question for you, did you stain the antlers before carving them? If so what did you use?

Those are awesome! The carving is awesome, I on the othet hand don't believe I have the artistic ability to carve anything that that would end up looking like any animal that walks the earth. But do have question for you, did you stain the antlers before carving them? If so what did you use?

The closet I have come to a natural color stain is to use Walnut Old English furniture polish. It getting to harder to find most places just stock the natural oil any more.

20140313_155544.jpgEagle and fish.jpg here are a couple more antlers

This is the set I am going to work on next. Wife wants me to makeDSC04923 (2).jpg
    a coffee table with them. 67.5 inches is going to be big table.