Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picking from 2 New Rifles and 1 scope

Default Picking from 2 New Rifles and 1 scope

I'm new to the forum (long time reader) and live in Kentucky. I have two rifles I really like, one is a .308 and the other a .257 Weatherby. I wanted something larger for larger game, so I ordered 2 new rifles. The first is a Kimber Talkeetna in .375 H&H, and the other is a Winchester model 70 extreme weather in .300 win mag. I also have a new Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 in hand.

I feel most of these rifles cover the same ground with only the 375 really standing out as a step up in rifle. So my questions. For elk and larger would you put the scope on the model 70 or Talkeetna to set up as my large game rifle? I've hunted in the west and know I don't want a 15 pound rifle, but I also understand I could get drawn for an elk tag in Kentucky. I know there may not be a right answer, but what are your thoughts with my options?

I'm also a reloader.

Thanks,

Potato, potahto to some degree. For elk, your .308 seems like the obvious choice. If you're looking at coastal brown bear or you just want another rifle for kicks, I think the 375 would be the way I would go. That said, I'm not a reloader and can't speak to what you can pull out of each round given tinkering with various loads.

For anything in the L48 the .300WM is plenty..more than plenty for anything.

The Talkeetna is a really nice rifle and using a 250 or 260gr bullet will shoot flat enough for about any hunting you may do. It's "overkill"....but it still winds up in the freezer. That 2.5-8x will be a little tough to mount since the Talkeetna has a fairly long distance between mounting holes and you will very likely have to use an extension ring.

I'd say shoot them both and set up the one you like the best.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

If you are just looking at big game in lower 48 that 300wm is a perfect caliber for elk plenty of nock down power and is probably the most common caliber of the ones you listed for elk. Probably more shot with that one by far! They all will do the job but I like the heavier 30 cal bullet that is still pretty flat shooting!!

I'd rather have my 375 without the scope than a 300 without the scope. Both are dandy for elk, but in tight country and fast shots, I'd be lots happier with the 375 and open sights.

Put the scope on the .300 Win Mag. Period.

You can realistically kill every large game in N.A. with the .300; save the .375 H&H for big bears in AK or for a trip to Africa. Save up for some Talley QD mounts for the Kimber and then a 1.5x5 Leupold.

300 is all you need for anything in North America....anything. The 2.5-8 is a perfect scope choice, by far my favorite scope.
    Don't over think this.....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Both rifles came in on the same day. I'm really let down by 375 H&H recoil ( I guess this is really a good thing, but my girlfriend keeps telling me to buy a rifle with some recoil. She says she likes recoil.) I don't know if it's all of them or just that kimber, but recoil isn't that bad at all. My muzzleloader, with 120 gr of Blackhorn 209 and a 300 gr Barnes Expander MZs, and a 12 gauge with slugs and turkey loads are much worse.

I put the scope on the Model 70 .300 win mag, but I haven't shot it yet. A big reason why is scoped the Winchester is because I hand the rings and picked up the bases locally. The Boone and Crockett reticle seems to match the 180 gr 300 better. I got standard Warne bases and rings. The eye relief is just a little long. Extended bases would probably make it perfect. Not that big of a deal, just added comment.

With my short time with the rifles, I like the trigger and grip of the Kimber better. I like the look of the Winchester, but it feels like the stock is kind of slippery, but it's also very dry here and my hands could be a bit dry and hard. I don't know how it will feel when wet.

Quote Originally Posted by iunderpressure View Post
    ...stock is kind of slippery, but it's also very dry here and my hands could be a bit dry and hard. I don't know how it will feel when wet.
    I can't seem to find it listed anywhere at the moment, but years ago I got an aerosol can of "non-skid" for backpacking sleeping pads. Goes on in a thin, transparent layer that's easy to remove with alcohol. Haven't used it on a sleeping pad in years, but it's my all time favorite for slick stocks and rain. Definitely worth tracking down a source.

Ya the 375 is typically unimpressive from the shooters end. You could put a different stock on it so it kicks worse...? I've always thought the .338 is worse for recoil. There is however a big jump from a 375 to a 416....
    Master guide 212

Never heard of anyone ever wanting more recoil, lmao.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I think his wife asked for the recoil....perhaps there are some inadiqueces that are better discussed in a different forum?! Lol
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I can't seem to find it listed anywhere at the moment, but years ago I got an aerosol can of "non-skid" for backpacking sleeping pads. Goes on in a thin, transparent layer that's easy to remove with alcohol. Haven't used it on a sleeping pad in years, but it's my all time favorite for slick stocks and rain. Definitely worth tracking down a source.
    Aaahh! How is that a thing?! I've been fighting my sleeping pads for years!

Got it from REI long ago. Can't find it on their site now. One light coat every year or so completely solves the slick pad syndrome, so I bet I haven't gone through 1/4 can in all those years. Maybe that's why they quit selling it? I've squirted a little onto slick rifle stocks before a week long hunt and come home with plenty of grip left. Comes right off with most gun solvents or alcohol, so no harm no foul. Guess I better start conserving the can, huh?

Edit:

Just googled again for the product and didn't find it. But I did find this in Backpacker magazine that might help with your sleeping pads:

Question:
    I love my sleeping bag/pad combo, except for one thing. I can’t stop sliding off the pad! Is there anything that I can do to my pad to cut down on the sliding

Answer:
    Yes! Here’s a cheap, easy fix–the very best kind!

Buy a tube of SeamGrip for about $7 (mcnett.com, wash the surface of your pad with soap and water, and let it dry thoroughly. Then just create a pattern of little dots along the surface of the pad. Focus on the torso and hip area, where most of your body weight resides. Let it cure for 24 hours or so and you’ve got a non-slip sleeping pad!

You can customize the stickiness by adding more dots later on, and if you find that the pad slips on the floor of your tent, you can even add a few dots to the bottom surface for better grip there. Sweet dreams!
    - See more at: http://www.backpacker.com/gear/exper....VNp2cfNi.dpuf

Agree that the 300 win mag will do everything you need for anything in north america. I used one for 20 years. However I love the 375 for moose, caribou, etc as you can generally eat right to the bullet hole. That win mag does some serious meat damage.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

[QUOTE=[B]iunderpressure[/B];1436262]Both rifles came in on the same day. I'm really let down by 375 H&H recoil ( I guess this is really a good thing, but my girlfriend keeps telling me to buy a rifle with some recoil. She says she likes recoil.) OK,,, here you go, this is my Go-Too Rifle, for the "BIG-Stuff" here in Alaska, and beyond.
    This Rifle is a Weatherby .375Mag and when you shoot .375 H&H rounds, you end-up with a "Fire-Formed" Case, ready to re-load for .375 Wby.
    I think your Girl will be all-over you,,,, after she touches off a few 300gr. Factory Loads, in fact I'll "Guarantee-It"
    Enjoy,,,,,

Attachment 81796Attachment 81797

"TG"
    [ Retired and Living the "Dream" in Alaska, Semper-Fi ]

Yep. A weatherby stock will kill you every time. Ain't their loads as much as it is their stock.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Yep. A weatherby stock will kill you every time. Ain't their loads as much as it is their stock.

Yea-Buddy,,,, it will definitely get your attention, but all-in-all, my partners .458 Lott,,,, Dam, it makes my "Eyes" water just talking about it.
    "TG"
    [ Retired and Living the "Dream" in Alaska, Semper-Fi ]

Count one more in agreement that a 308 cal can do everything you need in N.A., but I think the 375 will do a better job on the big stuff with the same amount of powder used. But really, I think taking extra care to shoot with your best accuracy will probably trump any difference.

The first caribou I shot was with a 375 h&h. I was laying prone. Couldn't walk straight for a week. I hate that round. It's been years and every time I hear people wanting one I almost develop a limp at the thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast