Thread: rm435 success!!

Default rm435 success!!

A friend of mine braved sleeping in the car a night and was lucky enough to get a tag for this hunt. He and I did some scoping of possible routes and we decided on the Indian Pass access point. We rounded up 4 others (6 total people) to help pack out meat and hiked Friday morning into the upper Ship Creek Valley for a total distance of ~9miles. It took us about 7 hours to get to camp through shin deep snow, hummocky tundra, and wet marshy trails. Unzipping the tent just before sunrise my friend spotted a cow 50yds from camp. He followed her for the next hour to 2 more cows and a young bull about a quarter mile from camp. 1 shot through the lungs with a 180g nosler from a .300 win mag from 175yds is all it took to drop the bull where it stood. Rallying the troops, we were able to quarter, trim, and de-bone on site, pack camp and hike it all back to the pass Saturday night. Sunday morning was cold enough to inspire a quick pace down the valley, back to the cars and into the Brown Bear Saloon. We hiked a total of at least 18 miles. We packed out ~350lbs of meat and spent 2 nights out. We saw a total of 3 cows and 1 bull. Thanks to all involved, it was a great first moose hunt. Good luck to all those who we passed on the way out!! This was a tough hunt and definitely not recommended if packing your moose for at least 9 miles, carrying a very heavy pack, or not having a small army of masochistic friends is something you don't enjoy/have. Hope this helps whomever is interested in this hunt. Next up is a float hunt, so we don't have to carry meat that far!!

Quote Originally Posted by smthgfshy View Post
    having a small army of masochistic friends.....
    I would guess that to be accurate, based upon your story. Congratulations! Pix?
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

That is definitely a difficult hunt. Did it last year. Congratulations! !!

Congrats! That hunt actually sounds pretty fun to me, going to have to look into it for next year.

Pic didn't work

Attachment 81905
    +
    10 characters

Well I figured I better chime in now since this was my bull everyone is talking about. I could NOT HAVE DONE THIS HUNT if it was not for the 5 other folks that joined me and committed to such a difficult hunt! I had spent a great deal of time scouting this area, living near the area, and literally have hiked more than 50+ miles in this small valley. Opening day I knew there would be a TON of hunters heading into Ship Creek. This is a "early bird gets the worm" kind of hunt not for the faint heart'ed. I would not recommend this hunt to anyone unless they have horses or some serious help from friends to get the animal packed out! I saw groups back there with parties of 2 or 3 people and I tried to imagine how they might attempt getting 300-500 lbs of meat out without leaving some behind and almost certainty loosing some or all of it to bears!

Long story short, don't plan on doing this hunt unless you spend a considerable amount of time thinking, planning and getting a realistic idea of what your are trying to do! The night that I stood in line for the registration tag it was maybe in the teens and I saw one fellow show up in line with jeans and a short tee shirt. He lasted about 10 minutes and had to leave. Don't be this guy.....your just in my way.

559528_10205293136034844_3979903096882267571_n.jpg
    You will miss 100% of the shots you never take.

Dang that's a cool rack!! Congrats on having friends!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Charterboat Operator

definitly need another pic of that rack, pretty cool looking, and ... congradulations

Here he is.... If anyone out there knows how to score a rack, please contact me and let me know. This bull was really unique. He seemed very healthy and was with two cows when I spotted him. Not sure on his exact age, but I would guess somewheres between 4-6? Anyways, this was my first moose hunt. I have hunted all of my life for mostly whitetails and small game. Moose hunting is a whole different ball of wax!
    IMG_0118.JPG
    You will miss 100% of the shots you never take.

He looked like a young animal maybe 2 3/4 to 3 3/4 years old. The only way to know how old he was by looking at the rings on a tooth.

congratulations I tried this hunt and can testify it isn't easy. It's good to see someone got one as unique as that.