Thread: Rossi Rio Grande 45-70

Default Rossi Rio Grande 45-70

I obtained a Rossi Rio Grand 45-70 in a trade a couple of years ago. Less than a week later I loaned the gun to a friend of a very good friend to hunt the 2012 Missouri whitetail season. I don't know if he thought that I was going to forget about the gun or what but when loaning a gun for a week turns into 2 years it kinda ruffled my feathers.

I got the gun back and it is still unfired. I cleaned it and there was a piece of styrofoam in the bore. That had me wondering where the guy went the week that he told his wife he was going deer hunting? He told me that he hunted hard the whole week and saw nothing but does. Hmmm I went out to shoot the gun last night and you can't even load the gun through the loading gate. It's like the loading gate is too thick or the spring behind the gate is to thick or something. With the loading gate bottomed out I am still the thickness of a dime away from getting the rim of the round to fit. If this dude hunted in Missouri for a week with this gun then he did so with 1 round in the chamber and never fired the thing.

I have always had a high opinion of the Rossi 92s, but am wondering how this thing got through any kind of quality control at the factory? I haven't taken the gun apart or even taken the time to read any Rio Grande reviews but figure there are more 45-70's in Alaska than anywhere?

Are any of you guys familiar with this gun?

Nope. Not familiar with the gun. But I'm familiar with the "hunter" even if I've never met that particular one.

Reminds me of the story about the guy who came back from a hunt and really gave his wife the attitude for not packing any clean socks for him. Nasty weather, lots of rain and snow, and miserable feet the whole week. His wife listened calmly, then said "But Honey, I packed your clean socks in your gun case."

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Nope. Not familiar with the gun. But I'm familiar with the "hunter" even if I've never met that particular one.

Reminds me of the story about the guy who came back from a hunt and really gave his wife the attitude for not packing any clean socks for him. Nasty weather, lots of rain and snow, and miserable feet the whole week. His wife listened calmly, then said "But Honey, I packed your clean socks in your gun case."
    He's lucky he wasn't my son-in-law! I have been married to the same little lady for 38 years and jumping the fence isn't something that I have ever even considered. I went on a short notice prairie dog hunt shortly after I was married and I found my underwear in my snake boots. I though she was just being funny, I'm going to ask her when I get home! Ha!

Yup. We've got 46 happy years and counting. Our son-in-law KNOWS that if he jumped the fence, facing our daughter would only be the small part of his problems.

Never even fondled one, in Alaska you can get a Marlin for $500 if you shop so never needed the Rossi. If you want you can send it here and I'll see if I can make it worth knowing.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Friends don't let friends buy Rossi. Or Taurus. Fact. Quality out of control. Good ideas, bad execution. VERY high warranty return rate. It's why we quit dealing them years ago.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Friends don't let friends buy Rossi. Or Taurus. Fact. Quality out of control. Good ideas, bad execution. VERY high warranty return rate. It's why we quit dealing them years ago.
    Yup with the exception of the 92s which make good little rifles but usually do need some tuning due to their sloppy work. The 92 "good idea bad execution" thing is the 480, like all Rossi 92s they need tuned but due to the size of the round in the little 92 platform I've had a couple without enough meat left on the bone to be fixed.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have a Henry 22lr that is a wonderfully smooth and fun gun to shoot, well made IMO, why do we not hear of more people shooting their big bore guns like 45/70's? Are they not well made also?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I have a Henry 22lr that is a wonderfully smooth and fun gun to shoot, well made IMO, why do we not hear of more people shooting their big bore guns like 45/70's? Are they not well made also?
    Love my little Henry H001 22lr also. I think the bigger ones are just too pricy, again you can get a Marlin for like or even less money.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I haven't held the Rossi 45/70 but my wife has the H001 which works very well. I have the Rossi 92 in 454 Casull that has worked without any tweeking. I don't think you can touch a Marlin or anything else similar for the $370 I paid for mine. I did replace the phony safety switch with a peep sight.

I followed some advice found over on the Rossi forum on how to make it work and it solved the problem. I then sold it. I really hadn't planned on buying many guns for myself in the near future as it just wasn't in the budget. However I got asked to clear a patch of timber that is going to have a new house on it next summer. Little did I know that patch of timber was full of dead Red Elm trees. Not only do I get paid to clear the ground but Red Elm sells for $80 bucks a load. It's a hard way to make a buck but it allows me to justify buying some guns.

I found a real clean JM Guide gun with the ported barrel for $510 and I am happy as a lark. However for you guys that like Henrys I have to share this. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=449604237 ..........................I really like the Henry's too. I like the way Henry has their 45-70 set up....I like everything about them except for not having a loading gate and having to load through the tube like a 22. That probably would not keep me from buying one however the one on the shelf at the local gun shop had a price of $750 and he wasn't willing to budge. So I weighed that against the Guide Gun and the guide gun won hands down.

I love the 92 Rossi. I have had several of them and never had a bad one. I have one grandson that is old enough to hunt, his first rifle was a 22 but his second was a 92 44mag and he loves it. I have 5 more grandsons ranging from 1-7 and what you do for one you have to do for all. I hope my body doesn't wear out before I get all that wood cut.

Sharp looking Henry EKC
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

What is the red elm desirable for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I'm sure they are well made.

Some of the Henry LAs have butt stock design with Excessive Drop.

Also, some, particularly those with octogon barrels are a bit Hefty.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

That sure is a nice looking Henry! I agree Smitty, I have had a Golden Boy in 22lr and it was smooth as butter but the drop on the buttstock seemed way to much.... The have a few models without that radical drop though...
    EKC, be sure to post a pick of your truck with a big Ole tree mushed across it when you get to choppin and cut'n so we can have a chuckle!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....