Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tustumena lake

Default Tustumena lake

How has moose hunting been on Tustumena Lake these past couple of years?

Always a few killed, but in general.........not really worth beans......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Always a few killed, but not really worth beans......
    I would agree with that.

The group I know who does ok up there hunts it every year with a packstring of horses and may spend over 2 weeks straight up there hunting hard.
    They know the area as good or better than almost anyone.
    I don't know if I would venture too far in up there without horses to pack one out.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

It's been crap for the last 10+ years. And the fire this year ruined some of the best hunting grounds. So now it's even crappier.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I would think the fire would make it better with the lush regrowth that usually takes place in the years following fires!

Highest concentration of brown bear on kp, plus highest concentration of wolves on kp, plus mature forest equals an awfully depressed moose population. Im worried. I hope recent burn can bring them back but im not confident in that alone.

Ive talked to different groups of hunters up there the last couple of years and just seeing one bull on the hoof is lucky (better pray hes legal, prolly be the only one you see). One group didnt even see a moose riding horses around.

The fire will improve moose habitat. Give it 5-15 years or so though depending on aspect and intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by 33outdoorsman View Post
    One group didnt even see a moose riding horses around.
    I wouldn't get too worried if they didn't see one for a year or two. Heck, in over 30 years of going on hunting trips up here I have yet to ever see a single moose riding a horse around.....

Sorry, couldn't pass that one up.

LMAO @ "the fire will make it better ... just wait 15 years"

Whatever.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I wouldn't get too worried if they didn't see one for a year or two. Heck, in over 30 years of going on hunting trips up here I have yet to ever see a single moose riding a horse around.....

Sorry, couldn't pass that one up.
    Not on horses, but I saw a moose flying over Tustumena.

Well the trophy moose area behind t lake was pretty much done in due to factors mentioned in previous posts. However four or more succesive fires in the area should restore the moose population within a few years. This summers fire burned from the summer range up high all the way to the winter range down low. Together with increased bear harvest this area may rebound.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Well the trophy moose area behind t lake was pretty much done in due to factors mentioned in previous posts. However four or more succesive fires in the area should restore the moose population within a few years. This summers fire burned from the summer range up high all the way to the winter range down low. Together with increased bear harvest this area may rebound.
    Personally I don't know if the op was referring to the trophy (permit) area or just the Tustumena area itself. As far as the "trophy" area goes, from what I hear from local hard hunters, it has been over-run by bears for a number of years now. Another good couple of years of bear killin' and that "may" help.

The fire was a Godsend.....imo. No matter how you look at it, in the long run fires make incredible habitat.....15c is doing the best because of it. I will try to remain positive that things will turn around.....hopefully the sooner the better.

The south side of Tusty can still have some some good bulls. It's thick in a lot of areas and hard to hunt, but there are good bulls in there and access can be hard. If a guy is lucky enough to fly it first and spot some bulls not too far from the lake he may be successful. But, be advised. because of the recent fires the the burnt up beetle killed downfall is horrendous. Packing out a moose from this area can be brutal....

plenty of moose, access is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by t-storm View Post
    plenty of moose, access is the problem.
    I don't know if I'd go as far as to say........"plenty"..........lol

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    LMAO @ "the fire will make it better ... just wait 15 years"

Whatever.
    Why is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Why is that?

Because he feels this way:

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Everyone who keeps claiming how wonderful this fire will be for moose is being too narrow minded. This area was one of the highest concentrations of moose on the KP. The week prior to the fire was calving week, so all of the cows had just dropped their calves. With us being in the middle of a drought with red flag winds hitting 30mph on the day the fire started (jerk SOB walking away from a campfire... ought to be shot), the fire ran from Soldotna to Tustumena lake in a matter of hours. Nothing could get out of the way of that. All the moose (and especially all the newborn calves) in an area of over 60 square miles are now dead.

Just like the caribou hills after two massive fires that have "refreshed" the entire region over the last decade, there's still a lack of moose in that area. This area of the KNWR was already full of moose, now it's empty of moose. Now you have a decade to wait for nature to clean up the mess and wait for moose in other areas to procreate and eventually move into the area. You'll be lucky to see any positive effect on the moose population before 2025.

It would have been so much better to utilize segmented clear cutting.
    Which I don't agree with.....First off 15C (south of the Kasilof river) has the highest concentration of moose and that is BECAUSE of the last few fires. Secondly I just don't believe in his view of how many moose were killed by fire......

Oh yeah, I did read that some time ago, thanks.

4mer--
    not trying to say fires arent good for moose but ive continually watched the numbers of moose in caribou hills burn decline post burn. Theres plenty of willow but they continually seem to be declining in numbers of moose using it. The tustumena burn could see different moose usage patterns but the recent 15c burns are overrated for contributing to 15c moose imo.

4mer--
    not trying to say fires arent good for moose but ive continually watched the numbers of moose in caribou hills burn decline post burn. Theres plenty of willow but they continually seem to be declining in numbers of moose using it. The tustumena burn could see different moose usage patterns but the recent 15c burns are overrated for contributing to 15c moose imo.
    I agree. Moose come back to the burnt area for a year or two then they leave for a couple years and then start coming back slowly.

4mer--
    I've seen a bunch in there the last several winters from a helicopter, a couple decent size bulls even. I wonder if poaching in that area isn't significantly higher that less accessible parts of the peninsula and a few of the "user groups" which are more prevalent on the south end of the peninsula.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast