Thread: Air Cargo warning, you lose

Default Air Cargo warning, you lose

This is intended to be a warning to anyone who ships gear air cargo. I recently left POW for a vacation that included a caribou trip to the Haul Road. Rather than cart my pack and gear around the US, I figured I had an ACE in the hole so I shipped my gear to Anchorage, priority, to be picked up by a buddy.

Well the gear disappeared. Pilot remembers loading it, so it disappeared in the warehouse. Either way I now am out all my gear for my trip. I had to scramble around Anchorage to replace what was lost to the tune of $1500+ just to get me outfitted for the trip.

Air Cargo shipper apparently is only liable up to $50. Yep, $50. So the warning is if you can't afford to lose it, send it via USPS where at least you can insure it. Insurance isn't available through the air cargo shipper since "we never lose anything".

I was obviously a little pissed but I understand crap happens. I just wish I would have had an insurance option. I don't want to make a homeowner claim since the cost/benefit doesn't pencil out.

In closing, I wasn't entirely happy with how the situation was handled by the carrier. I am sure I wasn't too easy to talk to but there was no true one on one with the claims guy about the pack. I haven't heard anything back since the loss though they could have sent a letter to Coffman. I would like a call but who knows. At least i'd like my $50 and the money I spent to ship it to Anchorage.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

And the aircargo company is ?

Quote Originally Posted by brokeeye View Post
    Reread the 2nd line in the OP's post. I think he spell's it out.

Quote Originally Posted by brokeeye View Post
    In situations like this, we don't allow the name of the company to be mentioned on the forums (see our FORUM RULES). Either contact the poster directly via the PM system or re-read the post more carefully.

The main reason for this restriction is that it can quickly turn ugly, and the other party may not even see (or respond to) the post. So we only get one side of the story.

As a registered guide I have experienced getting blamed for a client's lack of success, when it was not my fault at all. Example: I was working for another operator one season and my client weighed over 350#. He was in extremely poor physical condition. We were float-hunting brown bear in an area that required getting a few hundred yards off the valley floor for glassing purposes. He only made it about 20 yards up the hillside before caving in, and I spent the day way up in a birch tree, trying to glass the valley with one arm wrapped around the tree for balance, while he slept on the ground below. At another point, we set up along the river, where a huge back-eddy was full of spawning silvers. Bear tracks everywhere. We set up in the evening, the wind was perfect and it was an ideal place to take a bear. The hunter grew impatient and eventually gave up, deciding he wanted to go back to camp about two hours before dark. I could not persuade him otherwise, so we did, and about a half-hour after dark, the other guide and hunter came into camp. Around dinner that evening they told of watching us from a distance, and they said that right after we left, a 9 1/2 foot bear came out right on that sand bar. Later I was blamed for the hunter not getting a bear. So negative comments often only show one side of the story.

In this case, I really trust Gooch, and am sure his account is 100% accurate. But if we allow an open discussion of bad operators in this instance, we open a whole can of worms. I would just write him directly for details.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Seen it before

Man I feel for you! I have been outfitting out of Kotzebue for many years and I have had guys arrive desperate to rent gear because their gear got lost oolong the way. Not to pump the rental business too much but this is why renting can bee so much better than shipping gear up to remote locations. Nothing messes up a hunt faster than not having your camp or raft ready to go. The pilots who are dropping you off are on a very tight sschedule and can't wait for you to fix the mess so plan carefully.

I have shipped gear with all of the major haulers and I ship only with one because they do a good job and have not messes up a shipment yet. Shoot me a PM and I will share me experiences. There are 2 who I will not ship with for this same reason.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters
    Drop Camps and Float hunts -Unit 23
    www.northwestalaska.net
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Just a warning

Mike, you are spot on, no reason to bring a business down it only takes one unhappy client to ruin a positive experience by hundreds of others. I am in the biz too and it is a tough spot to be in.

This post was intended to be a warning to all who ship air cargo and the implications of what lost gear looks like. Am I upset - sure. I could have used that money for a variety of other things besides new gear to replace what I already had collected over the years. But their policies are written on the back of the air bill so they are covered.

I typically use this carrier as it is one that works SE. I have only had 2 bad experiences in 12 years so that is better than commercial air service. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt and waiting on at least some sort of correspondence from them. If I had one suggestion for them it would be to fire the fella I worked with on the issue. He was dismissive, rude, and walked away for extended periods of time during our conversation. I made a list of exactly what was contained in the bad right down to the ExOfficio underwear. I hope they do find it some day and match what I wrote with what's in the bags.

If you see anyone wandering around the Anchorage area, who may or may not work at the airport, rocking some sweet gear built for a chubby dude go ahead and tell him he's a jerk. The pack was BRAND NEW still had the tags on it.

At least the caribou hunt was successful. Have a great Sunday all, back south to chase deer and elk tomorrow!

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

On my last air freight shipment, the shipper was trying hard to sell me insurance.

Thanks for sharing the brand of underwear. I'll keep an eye out for it. You never know, its a long winter.

Good advice Gooch, I guess sometimes they mean it when they say "shippers risk."
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Didn`t read between the lines

Keep your eye on craigslist.org or Alaskaslist.com. Just because it is declared "lost" by the shipper doesn't mean it won't turn up on a classified ad. A sour apple that works for the shipper could have walked off with it. I hope that is not the case but just a thought.

Happens now and again. I sent a Boat package to a Client and Friend to Mike S. I had it completely shrink wrapped sent from Fairbanks to Anchorage Major Cargo Hauler in the state to Mike's house. when it arrived to Mike the Pallet was not there and the equipment was lose packed and delivered. Missing most of the straps, and an Oar Blade not to mention prior to shipping the boat I had it blown up for three days to check for any leeks. Seems when the client went to use it guess what? the floor leaked. First time for every thing eh!

OK, it won't do anything to make the trip better, but perhaps lighten the financial hit. For years I worked for a local airline and occasionally our partner carriers would lose passenger luggage. One of the first things we would tell them is to file with their homeowners or renters insurance. Surprisingly, most policies cover this sort of thing. Again, it won't save the trip, but it may end up putting some cash back in your wallet to pay that credit card bill when you get back home.

Quote Originally Posted by MTfisher View Post
    Keep your eye on craigslist.org or Alaskaslist.com. Just because it is declared "lost" by the shipper doesn't mean it won't turn up on a classified ad. A sour apple that works for the shipper could have walked off with it. I hope that is not the case but just a thought.
    What he said!!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

btw...that air shipper is terrible.....I'm surprised they can stay in business.....funny how they declare weather day for not getting in when its clear out & only make 1 trip a wekk, I;m sure they were charging full boat there services tho.......gooch hope you find what you need, I got a bunch of stuff you can use if you need...pm if needed

If it only goes from one airport to another, the most likely way for "loss" is for employee theft. A police report would be in order. Value of gear puts it in felony territory.