Thread: "Rowing" (not paddling) a canoe?

Question "Rowing" (not paddling) a canoe?

Anybody using oars, either instead of paddling, or in addition to paddling, to propel their canoe?

Thinking about adding some extra "man-power" to a big double-ender.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Quote Originally Posted by BluNosDav View Post
    Anybody using oars, either instead of paddling, or in addition to paddling, to propel their canoe?

Thinking about adding some extra "man-power" to a big double-ender.
    My Radisson came with them. It is easier then a row boat.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

I purchased a frame that clamps on a canoe that allows rowing. It is very useful when one wants to solo canoe with a stiff wind when otherwise it would be almost impossible. I have used this set-up when traveling long distances upstream with my wife paddling in the stern as well. I used it in the bow by turning around in that seat to row.
    I used this on a 17' plastic Old Town, and with some modification on an 18' Kevlar canoe with aluminum trim. I think the company that sells them is Essex, and I could spend some time to verify that if you want.
    RandyS

we row my Grumman sport boat on a regular basis. Works really good. I don't leave shore without them.

image.jpgimage.jpg
    I've been piecing that very same idea together for quite a while now. Actually a rowing/sailing combination for versatility on any lengthy expeditions. This is a 1962 Grumman freighter in the wife's laundry room!

Google Hannu Vartiala. He has written some great stuff on rowing. I attempted to post a link but was unsuccessful.

image.jpg
    Find this page of Hannu's as it is extremely helpful for a proper set up of your canoe or any boat that you want to row efficiently.