Thread: Magazine latch and latch thumb piece removal, Remington Apache 77 (Nylon)

Default Magazine latch and latch thumb piece removal, Remington Apache 77 (Nylon)

Magazine latch and latch thumb piece removal (Apache 77). The Service Manual says to remove both the latch and guide at the same time by removing the guide screw. The guide screw (small machine screw, flat tip) is directly under the latch thumb piece and completely and totally inaccessible. Service manual says to remove the thumb piece from the latch AFTER removal from the gun. Can't be done. How do I get the thumb piece off the latch WITHOUT removing the magazine guide, latch, and guide screw?

Well. I got the magazine parts replaced. But GD this gun to hell. I hate, HATE and DESPISE semi automatic firearms. Now that I'm down to the last few parts, it just will not go back together all the way. I've got the two springs in with the sleeve and the plunger, but the bolt won't go all the way back. The ejector (I don't even KNOW how that could be an ejector, it's just a piece of rigid angle iron) binds up hard (I mean HARD) against the bottom of the bolt. Blocks all movement. I'm 1/4" away from getting the barrel seated int he barrel support. I can't get the bolt back far enough to get the operating handle in the slot (that section is still over the ejection port.) I'm just about ready to get the 2 lb baby sledge and just drive it all home into the back of the receiver. Pissed...off!!! Done for today. F-it-all.

You will have to pull the trigger and press the sear/disconnector down, and hold it down, as you push the bolt to the rear. Then it will go back.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    You will have to pull the trigger and press the sear/disconnector down, and hold it down, as you push the bolt to the rear. Then it will go back.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to gunbugs again.

That was it, spot on. You sure saved my bacon. Probably should have just sent the gun to you in the first place. I had the added trouble of having previously removed the pin which held the trigger in place.

Gun is all back together, and I don't even have any spare parts left over. The magazines stay in place now and don't fall out. Feeds loaded ammo, but won't fully eject an unfired round, but I'll deal with that another day.

Thanks, again, gunbugs.

Make sure the firing pin hasn't put a burr at the top of the chamber, it shouldn't, but that doesn't mean it won't. That will cause failure to extract/eject.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Make sure the firing pin hasn't put a burr at the top of the chamber, it shouldn't, but that doesn't mean it won't. That will cause failure to extract/eject.
    Well that whole "metal flap" thing hinged at the top, front of the bolt has me confused. Can't figure out what it's for, or which way it was supposed to go, but the flipping it forward to let it ride on the top of the barrel matched a worn spot in the blueing on the barrel, and flipping it back kept the outer cover plate from going on all the way.

At this point, it pulls an unfired round a little more than half way out of the chamber, but the extractor claw doesn't hold onto it. It lets go as the bolt continues reward, leaving an unfired bullet protruding from the chamber.