Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You guys seen this repro M1 Carbine?

Default You guys seen this repro M1 Carbine?

I guess someone (MKS Supply, whoever that is) somehow got the use of the name "Inland" (formerly General Motors Division that made the true, original M1 Carbines-aside from a few other wartime manufacturers) and is making reproduction (apparently they're quite accurate copies) of the original Inland/GM wartime carbines. Supposedly, they are 100% Made in USA.

http://outdoorchannel.com/article.as...refID=102514FB

I don't know how I really feel about this-not that how I feel matters much. The guns are MSRP at close to a thousand dollars. So I'm supposed to go out and buy a replica for about the same cost as I can buy the real thing? I like the 100% made in USA part, but I wonder what this will do to the value of the original, real deal Inland M1 Carbines.

I once owned a post war copy of the M1 Carbine, the Universal M1. I guess some of the earliest ones were made from surplus GI parts, but mine, and one that a friend owned (still owns, I think) were both pieces of junk. SO, I don't know if these new gun is a good thing or not.

There are several towns in Japan, Korea and now China called “Made in USA”.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    There are several towns in Japan, Korea and now China called “Made in USA”.
    I've heard that. Usa, Japan.

Just pony up and buy a real GI carbine. They will work. The reproductions will only drive the value of real ones up. My full auto M-2 is a hoot to shoot.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Just pony up and buy a real GI carbine. They will work. The reproductions will only drive the value of real ones up. My full auto M-2 is a hoot to shoot.
    Why do you suppose the presence of the repros will drive up the value of the originals?

Because the ratio of real vs. reproductions will make real ones a smaller portion, plus, it is likely the repros will have function/quality problems as we have seen in the past. Whereas real GI carbines are a pretty safe bet when it comes to quality and reliability. I've got 4 and they all work flawlessly.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Good point. My repro Universal always shot 5 miles to the right at 50 yards, and my friend's keep spitting out extractor claws when it ejects a spent case.

Carried the M-2 alot in vietnam,it always worked perfect.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I have a 1944 Inland...kinda rough on the late in the war ones but still 100% reliable. I'll trade even for a Singer. Wish there was still cheap ammo available.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    I'll trade even for a Singer. Wish there was still cheap ammo available.
    I'm sure you would. LOL I think Rock-Ola Juke Box made them for a while, too, didn't they?

On a semi-related side note, it never ceases to amaze me how every segment of American industry either got behind the war effort or "got in on" the war effort, depending on how cynical of a viewpoint you want to take. Seeing companies, such as Ford and GM make vehicles for the war, is kind of a no brainer. But to switch from juke boxes to guns is a big departure. Another case in point, I'm currently watching ebay and bidding on WWII J-38 Morse Code straight keys, which were made by a bunch of companies, most of which made radio and electrical products before the war. But the really valuable ones today were made by Lionel Toy Company. Yeah, the guys who make model trains. (Then again, years ago, I heard an unconfirmed report that Mattel toys made the stocks for the early M16A and A1 during the Vietnam war.) So maybe it's not such a big deal, or maybe Mattel got the idea because companies like Lionel toys made equipment for the Army in the big war.

Check out these guys:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliant_Techsystems

"Alliant Techsystems Inc. (ATK) is an aerospace, defense, and sporting goods company with its headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, in the United States"

They do aerospace, military, and outdoors. From rockets to airliner engines to 20mm machine guns to Bolle sunglasses.

They also own:

Federal
    Bushnell
    Savage
    Uncle Mikes
    Hoppes
    RCBS
    CCI
    Speer
    Weaver
    Alliant powder

And that company itself was spun off of Honeywell!

I bet it is! Back in the late 70's a buddy and I both got the 1 bang per pull version. We were at the local brush dump which also doubled as the local shooting range. Anyway we both loaded up our guns put the stock against our belt line with our off hand on the forearm. At the same time we pumped the triggers as fast as we could go. The only pause was to swap mags and we each had 3. It weren't long until we had three black and white squad cars coming at us from three different directions. One of them even pulled his gun. It wasn't long until Chief Ahrens showed up. He could almost shoot it as fast as I could. In the end we both agreed that he probably shouldn't have three rookies fresh out of the academy on duty at the same time. In fact now that I think about it I ended up selling that M1 to the Chief.

That would be amazing, as there are no Singer made carbines. (In response to post #9)

That would be amazing, as there are no Singer made carbines. (In response to post #9)
    Must have just been the 1911's they made?

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    I'm sure you would. LOL I think Rock-Ola Juke Box made them for a while, too, didn't they?

(Then again, years ago, I heard an unconfirmed report that Mattel toys made the stocks for the early M16A and A1 during the Vietnam war.)
    I didn't like having to write "unconfirmed report," so I did some checking. Turns out, that is a fable.

http://www.snopes.com/military/m16.asp

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    I have a 1944 Inland...kinda rough on the late in the war ones but still 100% reliable. I'll trade even for a Singer. Wish there was still cheap ammo available.
    I'll trade you! I will even throw in half a dozen spools of thread!

Singer only made 1911's, and only 500 at that. After they made the 500, all the tooling was given to Ithaca. Carbines were made by Inland, Winchester, Underwood, Saginaw S,G in Saginaw, Mich. , National Postal Meter, Quality Hardware, I.B.M., Standard Products, Rock-Ola, Saginaw S'G' in Grand Rapids, Mich., Rochester Defense (Very Few, Poss just a couple hundred), Irwin-Pederson (Approx 1,000), Commercial Controls (Debate exists that any actually exist that are so marked). Blah, blah, blah.

I wonder how these reproduction guys got the legal rights to stamp their guns "Inland"?

Also, didn't IH (International Harvester) make Garands or some other kind of gun during the war?

Probably the same way, Springfield Armory, Inc got their name? If the original company is no longer around (in that case, the Gov't entity), just file the organizational papers and get the rights to use the name.

Int'l Harvester made M1 Garands during the Korean War (with help from H&R). Had one that was "all matching" IH parts, and traded it to a Garand collector for a post-Korea era M1 rifle built by Springfield Armory (Gov't) and an early Inland M1 Carbine that had mixed parts after a post-WW2 refurbishment. Good trade for both of us, mine are good shooters, his is a collectors item.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast