Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Bears and Trichinosis

Default Black Bears and Trichinosis

Steven Rinella discusses how he and his film crew got trichinosis from eating a black bear from the Alaska Range. Funny ending too. I always knew to cook bear meat really well but had no idea how trichinosis works. Originally posted by Frostbit on The Accurate Reloading Alaska Forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx5ZKJ0Vozc

Nothing funny about getting a parasite that lives in your muscle tissue.

Seen it right off that they didn't cook the bear meat very well, 500,000 larva per pound of bear meat.....yummy!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Great video. Thanks for sharing.

I like to eat bear meat...but man, I make sure to cook the crap out of it.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I loved his final statement... LOL!

But seriously, it is important to cook your bear and pig thoroughly and I always do... Thanks for sharing sep!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

When I was younger I just assumed that if you didn't cook black bear meat well enough you would contract trichinosis. Wrong. I found out later that not all blackies carry trichinosis. So essentially one guy could eat under cooked meat and not catch it, when another guy could eat a different bear, cook it the same way and indeed contract the disease.

Even though I hate over cooking anything, and I would "like" to eat any kind of meat medium rare. But a guy really can't take the chance of eating any under cooked black bear meat for sure. So when I cook it I really try to cook it only to the point that there is no pink left inside, but it still has a bit of moisture left in it. So far so good......lol.

It's really too tasty of meat to over cook it till it's too dry......imo.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

He's a pretty cool dude. He's been on Joe Rogans podcast a couple times, it's a pretty good podcast to listen to if you ever have a long drive through an area without radio

He mentioned they eat muscle tissue. I wonder if they would eat fat tissue? It could be a organic lipo suction treatment. :@)

I've always wondered why I had an aversion to eating bear meat even though it tastes good.

Quote Originally Posted by wags View Post
    I've always wondered why I had an aversion to eating bear meat even though it tastes good.
    I can certainly understand how somebody could feel this way, especially if they were to kill an old bear that had been living near a dump for a long time. But from my experience a young black bear in the berries is one of, if not THE cleanest bears I've ever had the pleasure to take home for the freezer. That bear meat didn't just taste good......it was phenomenal...!!! Even the last 6'4" boar I killed, also in the berries, was some real fine eating.

Nope.....never an aversion to bear meat here.

As with anything, you must be wise in choosing how you cook and handle bear meat. I enjoy eating black bear meat, but have seen some I would not think of eating. When cooking it in the field it gets cooked more than when at home. I use a thermometer and cook to 165 and make sure it gets a soak at that temp for 3 to 5 minutes.

Taste great with a sauce of some sort, blueberry works well.

Son's first bear.

Taught him how to skin and prepare it.

Cooked it up nice and DONE.

Surf and Turf

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    As with anything, you must be wise in choosing how you cook and handle bear meat. I enjoy eating black bear meat, but have seen some I would not think of eating. When cooking it in the field it gets cooked more than when at home. I use a thermometer and cook to 165 and make sure it gets a soak at that temp for 3 to 5 minutes.
    Amazing as always. My mouth is watering........lol.

Steve, I don't use a meat thermometer as much as I should I know, but can you remember if there is any pink at all left in the meat after being cooked to 165...???

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post

Steve, I don't use a meat thermometer as much as I should I know, but can you remember if there is any pink at all left in the meat after being cooked to 165...???

Some pink, but just a little and firm to the touch.

I love cooking meat on a stick, but it is always rare near the stick, they should have known better.

This sheep was well done on the ends and rare where the stick went through.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post

I have a few different conventional thermometers and also one of the Instant Read battery ones. I have been cooking since I was a kid in the 60's so I have most of it down pat and the thermometers are just there because sometimes a different cut of meat can cook faster or slower but the little Electronic ones will give you the actual temp in 5-10 seconds.
    I like my bear young.

Eating bear meat makes me nervous. I can't believe those guys ate that meat the way it was, it looked darn near raw.

Reading everything I can find, nothing talks about cleaning surfaces. Does bleach kill trichinella? What is a adequate and safe way to clean surfaces after processing bear?

take a look at the picture of the meat at 45 seconds into his video. That sight alone would have made me think twice.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    Eating bear meat makes me nervous. I can't believe those guys ate that meat the way it was, it looked darn near raw.

Reading everything I can find, nothing talks about cleaning surfaces. Does bleach kill trichinella? What is a adequate and safe way to clean surfaces after processing bear?
    Yes, I believe bleach would kill trichenella worms. They are not some invincible worm that is resistant to being killed. Bottom line is, the way they are transmitted is when raw meat is consumed and the larval cysts are liberated from the meat. This is different from other types of worms like tape worms, pinworms, hookworms, and ascarid worms because with these types of worms usually the eggs are ingested directly. The bad thing about trichenella worms is that they are extremely hard to get rid of, and they might be impossible to get rid of because the larva form cysts in your meat tissue like the guy was saying in the video. It's not like other worms that infect primarily the digestive system. Those worms you can just take a deworming pill of some sort. With the trichenella worm I am not sure if there is any medication that deals with the larva in the meat.

On a side note, Steven Rinella, should change his name to Steven Trichenella.

From what I've researched, Alaska and Canada have an arctic strain of trichinosis that is resistant to freezing. This is unfortunate because the other forms of trichinosis can be neutralized by freezing below -10 f for ten days. This allows me to enjoy wild boar chops rare, and even have some bear steaks rare from local bears. Shame that wouldn't work on your bears, since bear is delicious rare!

I thought I remembered reading on the F&G site a while ago that you could get your meet tested by them. Might be worth looking into.
    Henry Bowman for President

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast