Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any deer reports from Kodiak?

Default Any deer reports from Kodiak?

I'm headed there in a week and I'm getting anxious for any news or reports. Please post some photos or stories if you can. Also, how is has the weather been down there? Snow on the mountaintops yet? Are the lakes frozen?

I have a buddy down there right now and he said they got one so far and could have killed their limit the first day. He has a bear tag so he's taking his time with the deer.
    I'm headed down on Wednesday to hunt my raspberry elk tag and I'm hoping to see some deer too. Reports from raspberry Island Lodge are good numbers of deer around.

I had a guided goat and deer hunt in November on Kodiak Island. Unfortunate boat issues has caused the trip to get cancelled. Looking to do a self guided hunt. Would be all hike in. I'm not asking for hunting spots, just any help as this is my first Kodiak hunt. Area's best way to get to a good hunting area etc. It seems almost all of the public use cabins are booked for the time I'm looking to be in Kodiak. Any suggestions?

I would call both andrews and seashawk flight services to see where they can drop you. It is kind of late in the season to be planning a hunt like that but could be done. Also the guy that guides fishing and hunting out of old harbor that is on this forum would also be a good one to contact kodiak combos. Their is lots of area open to over the counter tags on kodiak.this is all good if you are a resident

Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post
    Their is lots of area open to over the counter tags on kodiak.this is all good if you are a resident
    Huh?

All deer tags are OTC. Residency is not a requirement for deer, either.

Deer numbers are great, but big heads are few and far between.

I was talking about goat tags as that was his primary hunt that was canceled

I was talking about goat tags as that was his primary hunt that was canceled
    And this is the title of the thread:

Any deer reports from Kodiak?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaveman View Post
    I had a guided goat and deer hunt in November on Kodiak Island. Unfortunate boat issues has caused the trip to get cancelled. Looking to do a self guided hunt. Would be all hike in. I'm not asking for hunting spots, just any help as this is my first Kodiak hunt. Area's best way to get to a good hunting area etc. It seems almost all of the public use cabins are booked for the time I'm looking to be in Kodiak. Any suggestions?
    I would call both andrews and seashawk flight services to see where they can drop you. It is kind of late in the season to be planning a hunt like that but could be done. Also the guy that guides fishing and hunting out of old harbor that is on this forum would also be a good one to contact kodiak combos. Their is lots of area open to over the counter tags on kodiak.this is all good if you are a resident
    The thread got sidetracked a bit...
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaveman View Post

Get yourself a good tent & contact an airtaxi. Might be a little late to book the taxi. Start planning for next year.

I was on the south side of the island two weeks ago for a goat/deer hunt. We each got a goat and there were more to be had, but we didn't even see much sign of deer. When Andrew's picked us up the high lakes were begining to freeze over and snow was on the mountains.

So I wouldn't plan on getting put in on any lakes, and I would look on the west side for deer. But that's just my $0.02.

Got back this week from hunting deer on the west side. Weather couldn't have been any better. Good numbers but not many large racks. There was 18 inches of snow in upper elevations that fell about 12 days ago. Most higher alpine lakes were already frozen and according to Roland at Seahawk, there were some missed opportunities for goat hunters due to deep snows and potential lake freeze-ups. Those travelling very light might walk down to lower elevations.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFrontier View Post
    I was on the south side of the island two weeks ago for a goat/deer hunt. We each got a goat and there were more to be had, but we didn't even see much sign of deer. When Andrew's picked us up the high lakes were begining to freeze over and snow was on the mountains.

So I wouldn't plan on getting put in on any lakes, and I would look on the west side for deer. But that's just my $0.02.
    Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    Got back this week from hunting deer on the west side. Weather couldn't have been any better. Good numbers but not many large racks. There was 18 inches of snow in upper elevations that fell about 12 days ago. Most higher alpine lakes were already frozen and according to Roland at Seahawk, there were some missed opportunities for goat hunters due to deep snows and potential lake freeze-ups. Those travelling very light might walk down to lower elevations.
    Pictures please?

Good luck BJ! 4 weeks from today I will be chasing deer and goats with the family on the west side..

We got 3 during the end of salmon season (August/September). In the two full days we hunted, probably saw close to 100 deer total. It seemed like the west side got a lot more pressure than normal from the fleet this year, but that is kind of hard to quantify. The two we got on the west side were within 500 vertical feet of the beach, the one we got on Uganik Island was all the way on top. We didn't see a single deer in our 2000ft hike until we broke on to the ridge above treeline. Not an area I can strongly recommend, we worked our tails off.
    Got a text this morning from a fishing buddy who just came back from the Sturgeon River with family, they were there almost a week and got 7 bucks, but he said they had to work extremely hard for them. Here's a couple shots. The one in the sun is from Uganik. The other from the west side. Hope this helps.
    photo (1).jpgphoto (2).jpg

I just got back from Kodiak yesterday. I'm the buddy that Tony mentioned. I was in Kiliuda bay, could have limited out on opening day, but took our time. We were walking down the beach 3 hours after setting up camp looking for a fresh water source, and heard the gravel crunch behind us. We turned around and a spike had jumped out of the grass and started following us about 20 yards away. I turned to my buddy and said "he's yours if you want him." He raised the rifle and dropped him. While he tended to the business of quartering I continued down the beach in search of water and had 2 more pop out. One spike and one doe. I passed on them and continued my mission. Next day we saw 5 more, but were focused on bear hunting so we let them walk. On day 3 we had just started our walk up the dry river bed we'd found and a nice 3x4 was standing there. I took a knee and dropped him. I caped him out, and we stashed the meat and hide in a tree, and glassed for bears again. On our way back we saw several deer. Next day we saw a couple but weather turned bad so we headed back to camp early. Lots of deer overall. We could have limited out on day 2 but were looking for bigger bucks, most deer we saw were spikes or young does. Population is growing again, and most of these deer are 1 or 2 years old. There are some big ones around you just got to hunt a little harder for them. They're rutting hard right now, so the bucks are out and about. Just watch those tarsal glands while you're processing.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Can anyone tell me how long deer season is open? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tuvok View Post
    Can anyone tell me how long deer season is open? Thanks
    It varies by location, so the best thing to do is read the regulations that are specific to where you want to go.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ations.hunting

Plenty of deer to be had. Buds of mine are slaughtering the youngins on the beaches. If you want bigger bucks, they're around, but you have to get higher for them. Just came off or Raspberry, all the nice bucks we saw were still in the alpine.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Default Meat Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Pictures please?
    Here's a pic of one of our typical buck. Like I said we didn't pursue anything bigger though we had time and I believe we very well could have. We took spikes, forkies and a 3 X 2. The meat is very tasty and we've been eating it a lot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A buddy of mine hunted the west side last week and they limited out easily. He also took two 4x4s. Here's a pic of one of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast