Thread: Izembek National Wildlife Refuge

Default Izembek National Wildlife Refuge

Just got back from a week of waterfowl hunting at Cold Bay with Jeff Wasley of Four Flyways Outfitters. Shot my last duck in 1973. Been a dyed-in-the-poly pro upland hunter most of my life, but I sure had a blast hunting the Izembek Lagoon. After eating Pacific Black Brant I could return each season to shoot those geese! Better than a $60.00 steak.

If you ever get the chance to go down there and hunt, jump on it. Brant, Cacklers, Teal, Harlequin...you name it. And ptarmigan for those other days.

I think that's $120.00 /steak when you travel to cold bay. Jim,great photo in the 2014 NRA hunting dog calendar.

Ha! I'll bet you're right on that. Maybe even more expensive than $120! My agent never did send me a copy of that calander but I'm thinking it's a photo of my then 5 year old Brittany, Charlie, with a sharptail? Glad you like it.

Inspiration to follow up on another item on the list...Thanks Jim.

Jim
    I cant agree with you more! I hunted Izembek the first week of Oct and had a blast. Something to keep in mind for those thinking about a trip for next year, two lodges in Cold Bay offered to support the AWA Banquet with hunting trips.

10703623_10203771648546010_15466054592088843_n.jpg1530491_10203774538938268_5868832735941454170_n.jpg

ruck great photos. what outfitter /lodge/guide did you and or jim use or did you hunt free style? could you tell us a bit more of how you hunted out there, what to expect etc.... thanks. yes jim it was Charles with a sharp. hes NRA nov. play boy of the month!! looking at that photo you could be standing in the field with him its sharp no pun intended!!!

Dream birds right there Ruck, doesn't get any better than tarsus bands. Congrats.

Someone mention bands?

Gonna have cabin rentals out there next season

AK Airboater
    We stayed at Bay View Vacation Rentals with Bill and Lillian and had a absolutely great time. They have a duplex which sleeps six with an option to sleep more. The accomadations are super nice, it is like being at home. We went out with Bill a few days in the boat, on ATVs and on foot. The rest of the time we rented a truck and hunted on our own. It was definitately worth going out with Bill a few times to learn the lay of the land and explore places out of reach by foot. Also Bill is just great guy to be in the field with. As far as the hunts we hunted over decoys and also did some pass shooting. Both methods worked well but there is nothing like getting birds sucked into the decoys. My hunting buddy brought a couple dozen wind socks which worked for great for the Cacklers and were easy to pack across the tundra. Bill also had decoys for us to use but since we had the socks we used ours. We mainly hunted the tide swings but on some of the windy days there seemed to be birds flying all day. As like most situations you have to be where the birds want to be or ambush them enroute. We didnt kill as many ducks as I thought we would but we kind of got hung up on shooting cacklers and brants, which wasnt a bad thing. Ptarmigan hunting was pretty good also. I stopped by Izembek Lodge and checked out thier place, Al also runs a first class operation. This was my first trip out there but I definitately plan on going back.

http://www.bayviewcoldbay.com/