Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Elk Bullet

Default New Elk Bullet

Was looking for a heavy 454 Casull bullet that would fit in my Freedom Arms, a big game bullet for 100 yards and in (more like 65-75 is my comfort zone). I pulled the trigger on this bullet a few days ago, should be here today, will get some bullets cast up this weekend.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...vjlmgcbv270hj0
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good looking slug. I'm curious what alloy you'll use to take advantage of that big cavity.

Wheel weights for the solid version, and wheel weights with pure lead for the HP. Will have to mess around until I get an HP that expands reliably without shattering. A little much for deer, but the HP might be just the ticket for a cow elk, for a big bull I think I would want the solid, but some testing will be in order. Just hope I can lay in some more H110 and HS6 one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBman View Post
    Will have to mess around until I get an HP that expands reliably without shattering.
    Play lots with the classic Lyman #2 alloy. Between the gas check and a good lube, I doubt you can drive it fast enough from your handgun to lead up. But that alloy expands beautifully and holds together well. I've used it a lot over the years in GC rifle bullets up close to 2k fps, and even then leading wasn't a particular issue with a good lube.

I will try and duplicate the Lyman #2, I have a boatload of almost pure lead.

I have an old Cramer mold with a cavity to produce a HP bullet similar to the Gould bullet for the 45/70. The difference is that the hollow point in my mould is monstrous in comparison and bullets cast of WW only weigh about 250gr. I like to cast them hard even though I know the front end isn't going to stay together. I've found that they behave much like a nosler partition if I cast them out of straight wheel weights. The hollow nose opens up and shears off in the first 6-8 inches of penetration and the solid base continues to penetrate in a fairly straight line for a pretty long ways.

Not telling you how to use your mould but just offering some insight from my experience with my HP mould. Good luck

Hey, I listen to advice, I may not follow it, but reading about other's experiences is often a short cut to success. I have a hollow point 357 mold, it has a rather large hollow point, displaces about 20 grains when cast of straight wheel weights, they are devastating on jack rabbits, but I wouldn't trust them to anything much larger.

10407929_10205102278907033_1645387520642333881_n.jpg10661688_10205102280067062_7591445943732797235_o.jpg

New bullets, still working on becoming acquainted with the mold, but I like them. This is as big as I want to go in the Freedom Arms. The bullet on the right is my 325 gr WFNGC. Solid comes in at 355gr, HP is 346gr.

Lookin good. Are you gonna have to seat it deep to the second (or first depending on perspective) crimp groove to fit the FA cylinder? Looks like it will take up some case capacity but I'm sure if you fill it up with H110 it'll get it movin plenty fast! Be sure to post your load/shooting results.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I seated them deep, as heavy as they are, when seated to the bottom crimp groove, they are just a little too close to the end of the cylinder for my liking. With a milder load I might seat them out to reduce pressures, but I am looking for a good solid elk hunting load. Even though the HP bullets weigh almost 340 grains, I don't think I will be using them for elk, the solids tip the scales at 355 grains, and should shoot stem to stern and anywhere in between if needs be.

First trip out with these was a bust, not the bullet but the shooter.

...not the bullet but the shooter.
    I hate it when that happens!

Thanks for the honest reports. Too many keyboard jockeys would be labeling it a bullet fault.

Didn't Elmer Keith kill elk and moose with a 250 gr out of a hot .44 Special? But then those were the puny Idaho elk.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Oh yeah. Don't recall the baloostics on his load, but it was up near today's factory 44 Mag.

But then again, I've killed two Roosevelts over the years with a 44 mag- one with Federal factory 240 grain HPs at about 50 yards and one with a 240 grain HC at about 25 yards. Both went down about as fast as they do with most rifle shots.

Them elk in Idaho are on the small side, much rather hunt the bigger ones in Eastern Oregon! I like heavy for caliber bullets, I mean I cast a 350gr for my 375 Ruger. My 44 with the Lee 305s would dispatch an elk with no problem, heck, as crappy a hunter as I am, I'll be lucky to see any elk, since I left Alaska 10 years ago, I haven't been very lucky.

10423914_10205151738423490_8857284756882561328_n.jpg

They are big,I'm thinking I'm going to try them in 45 Colt brass next, as you can see, they cast much bigger than .452 and need significant sizing.

10423914_10205151738423490_8857284756882561328_n.jpg

They are big,I'm thinking I'm going to try them in 45 Colt brass next, as you can see, they cast much bigger than .452 and need significant sizing.

What's your alloy? What size are they dropping at?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

My alloy is wheel weights and a smidgen of aircraft ballast which is hard. The solid version weighs 355, the HP weighs 335, they drop at .454. The mold is a NOE 454350.

My alloy is wheel weights and a smidgen of aircraft ballast which is hard. The solid version weighs 355, the HP weighs 335, they drop at .454. The mold is a NOE 454350.
    Speaking of aircraft ballast....

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...tid=GLSPPT3220

Yeah, I wish! Aircraft ballast is hard! I was given about 75lbs of it, and I use it to harden my alloy a little bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast