Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whittier deer hunting

Default Whittier deer hunting

Heading out tomorrow morning through the weekend. Anyone else going to be out there?
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Heading out tomorrow morning through the weekend. Anyone else going to be out there?
    No, but sure wish I could go with you........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    We were considering it.. But I have to work... Maybe another day! Have fun down there
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Still working on the new heater install, so we won't be out there this weekend... Leave us some!
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

just got back from Montague, populations are good but not booming. Please don't kill does. Let them multiply for the years to come.
    Seems to be more bears this year on Montague, I had some issues with a young bear that seemed to have no fear of me and was a huge pain in the $$$$ near stump lake and Jeanie cove

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    We were considering it.. But I have to work... Maybe another day! Have fun down there
    Juli, you're a taxidermist. Hunting IS working. Can't you just call it research and write it off?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Juli, you're a taxidermist. Hunting IS working. Can't you just call it research and write it off?
    I wish! Actually someone told me I can write off hunting trips if I have a successful hunt and use the animal as a showroom piece. I will look into it further to be sure..Last thing I need is the IRS knocking at my door. LOL....
    While hunting would be a up a notch from working on the sliding scale of activities I enjoy, I love going to work too...even on the weekends. So 'having to work' is not like torture. LOL!
    Taxidermy IS art!

You should totally be writing off any and everything relating to hunting, you are in the industry. Every game animal you mount can be classified at least as office furniture. Every hunt you go on has the educational prospects for you to better your product. Everything is an expense from the bullets you buy to the air charter you purchase to fly out to remote areas. These are standard expenses associated with your business as you are always learning while in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    You should totally be writing off any and everything relating to hunting, you are in the industry. Every game animal you mount can be classified at least as office furniture. Every hunt you go on has the educational prospects for you to better your product. Everything is an expense from the bullets you buy to the air charter you purchase to fly out to remote areas. These are standard expenses associated with your business as you are always learning while in the field.

Africa, here I come.
    Taxidermy IS art!

The IRS has a recent history of targeting certain groups. Just sayin..............................
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Back to the original thread, I had contacted Aquetec about a trip in November from the 12-17th. Right now I'm on call if weather allows, but I might need an extra person to tag along since my dad had to back out and my brother is too busy to head out with me. PM me if you might be interested. It is not a guarantee that they will proceed with the hunt, but they said they would let me know around the first week of November. I would be driving down from Fairbanks on the night of the 11th to be there at noon for the pickup.

http://directory.alaskaoutdoorssuper...orters-hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Back to the original thread, I had contacted Aquetec about a trip in November from the 12-17th. Right now I'm on call if weather allows, but I might need an extra person to tag along since my dad had to back out and my brother is too busy to head out with me. PM me if you might be interested. It is not a guarantee that they will proceed with the hunt, but they said they would let me know around the first week of November. I would be driving down from Fairbanks on the night of the 11th to be there at noon for the pickup.

http://directory.alaskaoutdoorssuper...orters-hunting
    Hope it holds I'm headed out with them Nov 7-12
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Hope the weather holds for another week, taking the boat out over Halloween weekend with the boys. They think this is better than trick or treating.....must be doing something right!

Bearsnack....where were you having issues with the bear. When you are on the island, Stump Lake and Jeanie Cove are a good distance apart. Headed out next Friday, 31 Oct to Stump Lake. Hoping the bears are denned up by then.

Don't count on the bears being denned up. Especially if there is no snow and there are gut piles to feed on.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Yep. Next weekend it is. Sure hope this weather holds out a bit longer. GAredneck, we need to work out the details here soon.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by alaska9301 View Post
    Bearsnack....where were you having issues with the bear. When you are on the island, Stump Lake and Jeanie Cove are a good distance apart. Headed out next Friday, 31 Oct to Stump Lake. Hoping the bears are denned up by then.
    Jeanie Cove is where the problem bear was. Youngster maybe 3 to 4 years old. Came in 15 mins after sighting in my rifle down on the beach. Possible he came in to the shots looking for meat. He tried coming into my camp twice, second time I could hardly run him off.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearsnack View Post
    Jeanie Cove is where the problem bear was. Youngster maybe 3 to 4 years old. Came in 15 mins after sighting in my rifle down on the beach. Possible he came in to the shots looking for meat. He tried coming into my camp twice, second time I could hardly run him off.
    Pepperspray.

Funny thing about Montague, I've heard stories from people who used to work at Fish and Game in Cordova, And they say back when they used to relocate problem bears, a lot of those bears were shipped off to Montague. So maybe those bears out there have a mean gene in them. I know that locl hunters from Cordova seem to have more trouble with Montague bears and Hinchinbrook bears than any place else.

There was a bear back in the 70's tho that was causing trouble getting into garbage cans so finally fish and game darted it in a friend's yard and shipped it out to Montague. They tatooed it's lip for identification. Dropped it off in the water out on Montague and they said it swam around confused for a while, then made its way ashore. About two weeks later the same bear, identified by the lip tatoo, was shot and killed in my friend's yard where it had returned and was acting overly aggressive. That bear had swum across Hinchinbrook entrance, traversed Hinchinbrook Is, and then probably swum to Hawkins Is, then across to the mainland near Whiteshed. And found it's way to where it considered home. That is the last bear that I'm aware of being relocated.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

A few years ago my partner came really close to getting mauled by an old sow on Hinchinbrook island. She was really grumpy.
    She got shot at his feet.
    The bears around these islands can definitely have bad attitudes.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast