Thread: Making shotshells into slugs... Cut shells - never heard of this..

Default Making shotshells into slugs... Cut shells - never heard of this..

This was interesting video - never heard of this conversion...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3M46XVfVOU
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

There was a thread about it on here some years back. Neat concept.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Notice that he's using a double. You don't even want to think about using them in a pump or auto.... BTDT, and it's not pretty when a shell bends on the way into the chamber. Increase the amount of plastic uncut to make the shell stiffer, and the case mouth can open part way. Might leave the rest of the case in the chamber or part way down the barrel as the shot departs..... Antidote is to epoxy the folds closed, but we're getting into the realm of decaf non-fat latte's with sugar-free syrup, otherwise known as a Why Bother.

Another old approach was "candle" shells, with hot wax poured down over the shot. You'd get a nice plug of wax on the first few pellets, but the dense lead would cool the wax and stop the fill before it reached the bottom of the shot column.

Yup, we talked about this. I've done it (in a pump), it works. Some people hate the idea, but to each his own.

we did this growing up down in Texas. IF we were squirrel hunting and that big ol buck was seen..we cut shells and went into sneak mode...does work and will do some serious damage under 40 yards. I wouldnt shoot anything over that and havnt dont it in decades. Will work in pumps just as good as single barrels etc...but not recommeneded in autos..lot of pressure

We were doing this back in the 50's with paper hulls. Then slugs were call Pumpkin Balls. Another thing we did was empty the shot`out, and put split-shot wrapped around a loop of copper wire, then use candle wax to re-seal the shells.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    we did this growing up down in Texas. IF we were squirrel hunting and that big ol buck was seen..we cut shells and went into sneak mode...does work and will do some serious damage under 40 yards. I wouldnt shoot anything over that and havnt dont it in decades. Will work in pumps just as good as single barrels etc...but not recommeneded in autos..lot of pressure
    A student out in Dillingham, many years ago showed me how to do this on a shell while doing an explanatory speech in front of class (the good old days). That fall, after a big storm, I flew down to check on our set net cabin far down the coast from Dillingham. All I had with me was a 12 ga shotgun, as I was hoping to bag a few geese. I saw no geese, but brown bear tracks were everywhere, so I made a handful of those slugs from 3" no.2s. After doing my work, and while waiting for my plane, I tried out a few of those slugs on a driftwood log at about 25 yards. I was amazed at how they penetrated. They cycled just fine also. I never had a chance to try them on a living animal... which is just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    A student out in Dillingham, many years ago showed me how to do this on a shell while doing an explanatory speech in front of class (the good old days). That fall, after a big storm, I flew down to check on our set net cabin far down the coast from Dillingham. All I had with me was a 12 ga shotgun, as I was hoping to bag a few geese. I saw no geese, but brown bear tracks were everywhere, so I made a handful of those slugs from 3" no.2s. After doing my work, and while waiting for my plane, I tried out a few of those slugs on a driftwood log at about 25 yards. I was amazed at how they penetrated. They cycled just fine also. I never had a chance to try them on a living animal... which is just as well.
    My grandfather taught me to do this many years ago, though he called them "rung shells." I can't say that it is recommended, but I've shot enough of them to know that they are either "safe" or that my number must be about up.....

There effectiveness on game can be substantial and their accuracy is better than most would imagine. I've used them in single barrel and double barrel shotguns with and without ejectors and never had a problem. I've cycled countless cut shells through Model 12s, 870s, 500s, an old Savage that its model # evades me and never had a problem in their cycling. Can't recall firing them in an auto, but certainly wouldn't wager that I haven't.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

His analogy of "70 caliber glaser" was all the explaining I needed. I've never seen that before. Pretty crafty. Thanks for posting.

Yep you can do it. The flip side is set the projectile end of the shotgun shell on the muzzle of your shotgun and see the squish factor needed.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

My Dad was a big fan of the 28 ga Winchester 37 and I remember him killing deer with it when I was too young to stay quiet so I got left at home. I wonder if he used cut shells? I always heard of "punkin balls" as the way to kill deer with a shotgun but I don't think they ever made them for 28 ga.

Once I outgrew the power trip with guns, I've become pretty fond of the 28 ga too. You can load 1 oz loads of lead #5's and kill ducks out to 40 yds back before the steel became the rule. I have a 28 ga Winchester 101 and an 870 and they have killed a bunch of birds and bunnies...with a lot less fuss than the 12ga.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I just came up with my morning activity....going to have to give this a try.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Done it before, but never shot anything with it.

This does work but, you need to make sure to cut them enough so the shell breaks before opening the crimp. Some testing with one shot and check the barrel for obstruction making sure you have good separation would be a good plan. Half a shell casing left in the barrel would be a bad thing. A better idea would be a $20 lee slug mold.

I learned about it while marching in the legions back in the day.

When I was stationed in northern CA at my first duty station, we would go out into the desert and shoot up the local jack rabbit population on our days off. One of the guys I worked with would cut a few rounds to reach out and take a whack at jacks that had run out beyond the reach and pellet of his .410. I tried it with my 12ga and it worked okay.
    Now what ?

Friend of mine killed a B&C caribou years ago while duck hunting by using this method. 1 1/2 oz of #6s did the deed at about 70yds right in the neck, he was using an auto too, rem 1100 I believe.

Of course if you're close enough you don't have to cut them. Another pal killed the biggest Columbia blacktail I've ever seen with a handload using and ounce and a quarter of #9s at about 12 feet!