Thread: Taking Trip from Anchorage to Valdez

Default Taking Trip from Anchorage to Valdez

I am going to be going to Valdez this weekend, since I have lived here my whole life and never been there.

I am an avid fisherman but most of my expertise is on the Kenai Pennisula. I have been reading about fishing on the Richardson Highway and it looks like Gulkana and Klutina are my best bets for Salmon(I will not have a boat). Where would you recommend and possibly camping in those areas? I will be fishing for kings a bit, but mostly for reds. Can you drive all the way to Klutina Lake or is that dirt road still blocked?

Also, once we get to Valdez what are some good lakes for Grayling and does anyone know if the Pinks are in strong yet?

Thanks any other advice you can give me would be great.

Brian

I was just in Valdez and the pinks are not in yet
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Klutina road is not yet driveable for the average rig. One last bypass the state is working on at 10 mile. Plus down on the river about 20 mile there is a washed out section on the edge of the water that will turn back the cautious. Have fun!

Summit Lake will be the only Grayling fishing to be had near Valdez. You will see the lake on your drive into town. As you are coming down Thompson pass you will come to a very long "hair pin" corner. There will be a lake on your right visible from the road. It will be about mile 23 or so on the Richardson. Try near the small creek that flows into the lake on the north side.

The fish are on the smaller side but there are a lot of them. Late evening or early morning would be best to beat the winds. Small black fly or a small spinner works well.

Nearby Blueberry Lake has some Rainbows in it but they are getting fewer every year. Both lakes are/where stocked at on time.

No pinks yet.

Thanks for the info.