Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Chickaloon Geese

  1. #1

    Default Chickaloon Geese

    I Never been out there before and talked about doing it for years so my buddies and myself decided to give it a shot, with a ranger 6x6 and an RZR. Its a long run around the point for anyone that is thinking of doing this trip from captain cook. But it is worth it. We left a few hours after high tide and were planning on hunting all the next day and leave the following for a total of two nights. Next time we will plan it a little differently. We saw thousands of geese, more than I have ever seen anywhere in Alaska. That was the problem giant flocks attract even more geese and makes your spread look ridiculously small. We wound up with only three but we were more than happy with that. The three we got were stragglers that hadn't yet seen the giant flocks about a mile away and they dropped in hard to a call and the decs, so frickin fun! No where to hide for jump shooting as we tried that a few times. We had a great trip, one extremely close call involving the ranger 6x6, the tidal mud flats and the tide. That's a whole other story in itself. We will go back next year and are confident that we have it figured out now on what the geese do during the day and how we will be much much more successful. For anyone think of doing this trip I highly recommend it. Remember the bigger spread the better and motion in the spread is your friend.10729088_10203272244991621_450606884_n.jpg10749447_10203272244231602_1681929857_n.jpg

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Member skybust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    2,426

    Default

    COngrat looks like alot of fun you should write about the close call so others dont do it.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

  4. #4
    Member Birdstrike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Very cool. That looks like a true AK adventure. I've been wishing I had a hovercraft to buzz over there with. Lol

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    COngrat looks like alot of fun you should write about the close call so others dont do it.
    YES!! I second that. After reading, I didn't care about the geese. I only cared about the close call, so that if I ever did this hunt, I wouldn't make the same close call


    Looks like a blast. And a good time.

  6. #6

    Default

    So the close call... The first evening we were looking for a place to set up camp and eventually walk our spread and gear in. The beach at this point is rather small and a tree had washed up blocking the beach off and leaving the mud flats.The tree only stuck out about 15 ft into the flats so we got out and walked around the tree, the flats were solid as a rock but water puddles around the area led us to believe that the tide had recently been up that high. There was grass and rocks on top of the mud which led us to believe that we would be good. The RZR went fist with no issues and I followed with no issues. It wasn't until we returned that night around 7 oclock when I followed the same tracks where the problem started. Everything looked great but I made it 15 ft diagonally from the beach and I was sucked in like nothing I have ever been in before. Try the rzr winch with no avail. Two winch's a 4k and 3.5k pulling against each others machine and nothing. That tidal mud is suction cupped like nothing I have ever seen. We dug for 4.5 hrs with one shovel and our bare hands inching the machine forward with winch's, I snapped the left front axel which didn't help matters. We barely beat the tide. I was for sure it was gone as we weren't moving fast enough. Luckily my 17k rig is not still out there as I was certain where it would take its last breath. I will never come within 10 ft of that stuff ever again. I now see why people can die in the Turnagain Arm mud. Stuff is frickin ridiculous.

  7. #7
    Member akblackdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    I know there are a couple ways to access the area, following the beach being one of them. The other is a old road that is very bad but doable with mud rigs and ATV's. Did you consider that route. Bud
    Wasilla

  8. #8

    Default

    Yeah the other route is mystery creek road. You can't drive atv's on it as it is refuge land. Any rig you take has to be registered and highway legal. I live near the road and have been on it many times in a pickup but it can get nasty.

  9. #9
    Sponsor Duckhunter01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, Trapper Creek, Seward
    Posts
    1,799

    Default

    So if an ATV is highway legal and registered it can go right? or a Jeep.

    Whats to stop a guy from driving it on an ATV? Just asking for informative reasons..

    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly30 View Post
    Yeah the other route is mystery creek road. You can't drive atv's on it as it is refuge land. Any rig you take has to be registered and highway legal. I live near the road and have been on it many times in a pickup but it can get nasty.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

  10. #10
    Member akblackdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    Once you get the rig off the beach and on land above the tide line it is also on refuge land and not legal there isn't it. I had heard you follow the road to the refuge, park the atv's and walk in the rest of the way, a short hike I thought. Did not realize the road was on the refuge. Bud
    Wasilla

  11. #11

    Default

    You can try it but it has been tried before. If it is classified as an off-road vehicle it is not allowed on refuge land. A jeep is fine as long as it's registered for highway use.

  12. #12
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    Whats to stop a guy from driving it on an ATV?
    Personal ethics
    Knowing rules and agreeing to follow them
    Not wanting the hassle of lawyering up in a federal courtroom

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Once you get the rig off the beach and on land above the tide line it is also on refuge land and not legal there isn't it. I had heard you follow the road to the refuge, park the atv's and walk in the rest of the way, a short hike I thought. Did not realize the road was on the refuge. Bud
    Are talking about the beach access via captain cook or mystery creek access?

  14. #14
    Member akblackdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly30 View Post
    Are talking about the beach access via captain cook or mystery creek access?
    I was comparing the two access points, and thinking that you could drive the mystery creek road to the refuge boundry and then a short hike into the refuge to hike. Neaver having been there, just going by what I've heard. Will be good to have accurate information from you, thank you. Bud
    Wasilla

  15. #15

    Default

    The mystery creek road is on refuge land. You can take a highway rig but no atv's you can almost get to the chickaloon river via the trail and then walk in from there. Access via the beach/nikiski is 40 miles around pt possession and you have to stop at the boundary marker basically not far into the flats. The chickaloon flats are huge, I think 7 miles across from the two access points. Most of the mudflats even below the high tide line are encompassed in the refuge land. From what we could see most of the geese go sit on the mudflats at low tide and fly into the grassy areas at high tide.

  16. #16
    Member bkbaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly30 View Post
    The mystery creek road is on refuge land. You can take a highway rig but no atv's you can almost get to the chickaloon river via the trail and then walk in from there. Access via the beach/nikiski is 40 miles around pt possession and you have to stop at the boundary marker basically not far into the flats. The chickaloon flats are huge, I think 7 miles across from the two access points. Most of the mudflats even below the high tide line are encompassed in the refuge land. From what we could see most of the geese go sit on the mudflats at low tide and fly into the grassy areas at high tide.
    Thanks for the info!! Rep coming your way

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly30 View Post
    I will never come within 10 ft of that stuff ever again. I now see why people can die in the Turnagain Arm mud. Stuff is frickin ridiculous.
    I also had a near death experience with the tidal mud last year.... One minute I was good and next I was waste deep stuck as a mo fo... I have an entirely new respect and fear of the stuff for sure!!

  18. #18
    Sponsor Duckhunter01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, Trapper Creek, Seward
    Posts
    1,799

    Default

    Awesome information..thanks. Clears up any questions for sure

    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly30 View Post
    The mystery creek road is on refuge land. You can take a highway rig but no atv's you can almost get to the chickaloon river via the trail and then walk in from there. Access via the beach/nikiski is 40 miles around pt possession and you have to stop at the boundary marker basically not far into the flats. The chickaloon flats are huge, I think 7 miles across from the two access points. Most of the mudflats even below the high tide line are encompassed in the refuge land. From what we could see most of the geese go sit on the mudflats at low tide and fly into the grassy areas at high tide.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruckup View Post
    I also had a near death experience with the tidal mud last year.... One minute I was good and next I was waste deep stuck as a mo fo... I have an entirely new respect and fear of the stuff for sure!!
    How did you get out?

  20. #20

    Default

    willy,
    when you get to the refuge boundary is their a tidal gut/creek that basically stops you from going in further. is this were you camped and how were the camping conditions. were you able to cross this gut and hunt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •