Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New can-am 6X6

Default New can-am 6X6

Just wondering if anyone has look at the new 6X6 from Can-am. Any knowledge, info, insights etc would be appreciated. I'm really liking the idea that they are a 1000cc and that you can unlock the rear axles so they can be independent. How do you think they stack up against polaris? I guess the first issue that comes to mind is that since it's their first year out that working out any bugs but I'm really thinking about getting one.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

they look pretty skookum, and like you said, 1000 cc .
    what does unlock the axles mean?

Not to sure a out the about the axles, has a pin that you can remove to allow independent movement. Something about having all axles touching the ground
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Not to sure a out the about the axles, has a pin that you can remove to allow independent movement. Something about having all axles touching the ground
    Polaris has four bolts allowing you to unhook ANY of the four rear wheels from the ground. If the new can am is reliable, it will do well in Alaska. This is at least the fourth thread about it here, but not much feedback other than a smooth ride and power.

I'm surprised people feel the need for a 1000cc engine. I actually wish Polaris would bring back the 500 engine with the newer shaft drive design. I've never, ever felt underpowered on my 500, but would like to be done with the chain drive.

I agree. I have an '05 with a 500 cc engine and it's great. Chains are a pain. Love to have a shaft drive with 500 cc.

Probably a great machine, but the can am 6x6 looks too 'nice' to me. Doesn't look like a workhorse, plus the price tag is astronomical. I wouldn't want the first model year either.

Love to read a first hand review about one though.

I looked at a few at AMDS about four weeks ago, and they look mean. Out of my price range at the moment, but I think they will be a big success.

I'm pretty interested in the 650cc version...I agree with Brian- I just don't have much interest in the 1000cc version. Too heavy, too much fuel. If I have to tow or pull a heavy load a low gear should do the trick.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

good comments. I guess the one thing that surprises me is the liking of smaller motors. I don't think that I have ever heard of someone that had a larger engine saying that they had less power wether it's a boat plane auto or atv,
    Semper Fi and God Bless

good comments. I guess the one thing that surprises me is the liking of smaller motors. I don't think that I have ever heard of someone that had a larger engine saying that they had less power wether it's a boat plane auto or atv,
    I far prefer taking my 500 compared to my father's 800 if the trip is going to be of any length. The primary reason why I prefer the smaller engine is that it is far more fuel efficient, with its lighter weight (and thus better performance in mud) being a secondary benefit. I have to carry way less fuel or have better range.

To add to what Brian mentioned. There are a few threads/posts on here where guys that were used to their sportsman 500 six wheelers then running out of fuel in their new 800 machines. IIRC some of them were not even close to their hunting spot before they needed to obtain additional fuel from others in their group. All that power is useless if you cant feed it fuel, and when it takes twice the fuel for only a handful of additional power what are you gaining?

For me it has little to do with power unless I am planning on towing a two moose load. However, I don't have a trailer big enough for two moose so I don't have to worry about it. My Kodiak 450 tows my heavy welded river boat into and out of the back yard really well and I can man handle it in the field or the garage without needing two people the lize of NFL linebackers. 400cc and 500cc machines are pretty decent for most of AK.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    To add to what Brian mentioned. There are a few threads/posts on here where guys that were used to their sportsman 500 six wheelers then running out of fuel in their new 800 machines. IIRC some of them were not even close to their hunting spot before they needed to obtain additional fuel from others in their group. All that power is useless if you cant feed it fuel, and when it takes twice the fuel for only a handful of additional power what are you gaining?

For me it has little to do with power unless I am planning on towing a two moose load. However, I don't have a trailer big enough for two moose so I don't have to worry about it. My Kodiak 450 tows my heavy welded river boat into and out of the back yard really well and I can man handle it in the field or the garage without needing two people the lize of NFL linebackers. 400cc and 500cc machines are pretty decent for most of AK.
    Up until this year I was on the same thinking field as you. This year I had issues with my 6x6 and needed to tow it back to the truck. I had a 550 yami and it just didn't have enough power to get the heavier machine up some small hills and water crossings. Had I had a 7-800 I have no doubt it would have towed the heavier machine. Just my .02
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    Up until this year I was on the same thinking field as you. This year I had issues with my 6x6 and needed to tow it back to the truck. I had a 550 yami and it just didn't have enough power to get the heavier machine up some small hills and water crossings. Had I had a 7-800 I have no doubt it would have towed the heavier machine. Just my .02
    My buddy has a 700 Griz and it is amazing what he can (and does) tow with it. The videos online for the can am 6x6 are pretty amazing though!

Yes I agree Akbee they are. I'm seriously considering one and am torn on which one I'd get. Leaning more towards the 650 for reasons others have already stated. The 650 had 10 more hp that the polaris 800s that were in the 6x6.

Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I'm not sold. I've had 2 Can Am 4 wheelers that had just as many problems (if not more) as the 2 Big Boss 6x6s I've had. The Can Am problems I experienced on both of the rigs I owned were clutch covers that leaked like sives, shift levers that stuck like no tomorrow, weak frame members and clutch problems. There's no way I'd pay what they're asking for a Can Am 6x when I could have a Ranger 6x for less. They all have there quirks

I guess that this may turn out to be a Ford Chevy conversation. I really like the sounds of that 1000
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Just a note- the Can Am site lists the weight of the 650 and 1000 as being the same. Just like the Yamaha Grizz 550 and 700 weigh the same.

oh a new cant-am how exciting.
    Semper Fi!

I am done with smaller machines, they were nice for the kids growing up but i learned my lesson hauling trailers up slick muddy hills and getting tossed around all day. now I want something big,heavy and powerful. all depends on your preferences. i would not go less than 700cc for steep stuff,trailers and wheel spin. I am currently looking at the longer wheel based ca-am's in 1000cc, the 6x6 can am looks awesome after they work out the bugs and bring the price down a bit.
    "f/64 and be there"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast