Thread: Scope clearance

Default Scope clearance

I am trying a Leupold 3x9 on My 99F (it had an old Tasco on it when I bought it). It has swing-away mounts which worked fine for the Tasco, but the Leupy barely has any clearance between the barrel and the bell. I removed the rear sight leaf already. Will I be OK with a paper width's space between the scope and barrel or will it crack the scope? Is it possible to shim under the mounts to give extra clearance assuming the screws are long enough? First time I have run across this problem.

Look at leupold 3x9 ultralight,,little bit smaller diameter on both ends

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I am trying a Leupold 3x9 on My 99F (it had an old Tasco on it when I bought it). It has swing-away mounts which worked fine for the Tasco, but the Leupy barely has any clearance between the barrel and the bell. I removed the rear sight leaf already. Will I be OK with a paper width's space between the scope and barrel or will it crack the scope? Is it possible to shim under the mounts to give extra clearance assuming the screws are long enough? First time I have run across this problem.
    You can shim the bases, should you desire, but so long as the bases and rings are tight/secure and the scope objective bell is not binding against the barrel it'll work just fine. The only issue I'd have is with a scope cover. The neoprene type covers will work for this, though they aren't the best scope covers IME.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Thanks guys. I may just go to a shorter scope such as a Leupold 4x20 VX. I think I would like to put the rear sight back on so I can use the tip-off mount for short range shooting and still have the optic for longer range shooting (probably no more than 100-150 yds.) The rifle is now .358 and ammo is at a premium. I'm hoping to avoid too much range time/ammo for sighting-in all over again.

I've been using a burris fullfield II 1.75x5 for years on my 338 with successful range and field shooting up to 250 yards. This won't have the light gathering, but it will clear barrel by a long ways and will allow you to keep your iron sights. It's what I will probably scope my 99 with when I am at that stage of getting it set up.

This scope, or some of the tohers of the same construction could help the situation.....though perhaps not your pocket book on project's bottom line.