Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got Skunked Again :/

Default Got Skunked Again :/

Got some good advice on where to go down on the KP, Carter Lake Trail, but ended up not seeing anything. We hiked in about 745am, got to the top of the saddle and glassed for about an hour. Didn't see anything so we followed the trail till we were about in the middle of Crescent lake, then hiked about half way up the mountain. Glassed for another hour, still didn't see anything, decided to call it day.

I've gone out about 6 times now on the KP, 3 times in the spring, and 3 in the fall. Never seen any bear. Is there anyone who goes out for day trips that I could tag along and see if I am just all kinds of screwed up. I'm in the Army so I don't really have time for anything other than day trips, I realize overnight trips greatly increase my odds, but all I got for now is day trips.

Is it to late to hunt for Black Bear this season, or are they still out?

They are still out, I tracked a 6 foot`Black Bear on the beach this evening. I never got to see it.

Someone posted here that they watched a Black Bear Sow with three cubs on this past Saturday, up Palmer Creek.

I would suggest you might review your glassing procedures. Much of Alaska hunting success is about skillful use of Optics. It is the single hardest thing to get clients to understand. They think the Guide is just Lazy.

Successfull Alaska hunting is either dumb'ass luck or the skillful use of optics.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelRyanSD View Post

Few years ago bow hunting just off Resurrection trail late Fall... met a few "hikers/non-hunter" along the trail that had been out for couple of days camping, Realizing we were huning so they asked if we had seen any bear... we redirrrected the conversation to see if they had seen any. Hikers reported that they hadn't seen a thing, hardly any sign. They redirrected the question back to us. Wellllllll we saw 16. In disbelief they said .."Sixteen bears!"

Reason we saw bears and they didn't they were looking in all the wrong places. Bears that had been feeding on salmon had now moved up the mountain and were now feeding on berries. Find the food source for the time of year and you're huning and you'll see more bears. With all the snow on the Kenia I would give it another 5-6 days of good hunting after that most of the black bears will be either dened up or looking for a dry den. Last weekend from my experience probable third best weekend of the year for glassing bears.
    Good Luck. Camping out in the back country over night will up your odds tremendously!!

you might be moving too much and not glassing enough.
    I was just up high in the mountains Saturday, there are bears out.

Got some good advice on where to go down on the KP, Carter Lake Trail, but ended up not seeing anything. We hiked in about 745am, got to the top of the saddle and glassed for about an hour. Didn't see anything so we followed the trail till we were about in the middle of Crescent lake, then hiked about half way up the mountain. Glassed for another hour, still didn't see anything, decided to call it day.

I've gone out about 6 times now on the KP, 3 times in the spring, and 3 in the fall. Never seen any bear. Is there anyone who goes out for day trips that I could tag along and see if I am just all kinds of screwed up. I'm in the Army so I don't really have time for anything other than day trips, I realize overnight trips greatly increase my odds, but all I got for now is day trips.

I would love to take a guy out that posts exactly where he went/goes all over the internet. Send me a pm and we will take a trip out!

MAGPIE-POOP, "I'll be your Huckelberry...............but your a daisy if you do".

Maybe you would enjoy a nice beach hike at low tide. It will be OK, as I have ropes hanging from the walls to escape the incoming tide. Yes, after I asscend I will need to retrieve my rope, yes it is "MY" rope.....daisy.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    I would love to take a guy out that posts exactly where he went/goes all over the internet. Send me a pm and we will take a trip out!

Attachment 81539
    SaaaaaAAlooooote!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

That's how day trips go, i'll go 4 trips without seeing one and then find 6 I can't get too in a day, tuff business. I've been at it about 6 years now, I've stalked 3 and didn't get a shot at any of them! Your in their world and they are MUCH more adept at being there, keep at it!

Spend time glassing the south side of the mountains.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

What would be a good resource for glassing techniques. I usually sit still with my binos and go up and down very slowly. If I spot something of interest, I get out my spotting scope for a better look.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong, you just need to keep at it. I tried to kill a fall bear for the last 4 years and finally did it a couple weeks ago and I'd consider myself a pretty good hunter. It's not easy at all. I've been into areas where I see nothing and then one day I'll see a handful of bears. Sometimes it's the weather, sometimes they're just not coming out to play. Be persistent and it will pay off.

As your glassing for hours....
    Remind yourself; patience kills

I know for a fact that there were bears at Carter Lake this year but it seems like they moved on. When I first went back in September I saw 11. When I went last week I only saw one plus a sow with a cub on the mountains directly across the Carter Lake trail parking lot. I was able to spot most of the bears with my naked eye because they were moving around but I did pick up a few with 8x30 binos. I don't have a spotting scope yet. I'm new to glassing for bears or any animals for that matter, but the thing that was helping me see bears was movement. Almost all the bears we saw were near the top of the mountains or they were mid mountain heading up. There was a lot of goats in that area last week too. We saw three at Crescent Lake from the the Carter Lake side and we saw too many to count along the highway, way up the mountains.

What would be a good resource for glassing techniques. I usually sit still with my binos and go up and down very slowly.
    I don't know exactly what you mean by "go up and down very slowly". But in my opinion, you don't move the glasses up and down, you use your eyes to go up and down in the field of view of the glasses BEFORE moving the glasses to a different spot. And, depending on the terrain, that different spot need only be a few feet away from where you were just looking. You really need to canvas a whole section of area, not just look here, move.....look there, move. This is why I like glasses that have a large field of view. Analyze the whole field of view that the glasses allow.

Again, and it's only my opinion, but good glassing actually takes on a form of art. It's almost like you are painting one specific area with your eyes. Concentrate.....give it time. Look for anything out of place and concentrate on it. Look for the slightest movement as well while you're focusing in on each small area.

Train yourself to not move the glasses around too fast. I can't tell you how many times I've seen game come out from behind a tree or bush because I've held the glasses on one spot an extended amount of time. Had I just looked and decided there was nothing there and quickly moved, I never would have seen it.

As has already been said.......be patient. Use those glasses to their fullest potential.

On a side note......When I was guiding I once guided a father/son couple on a brown bear / caribou combo. Turned out the son was quite an artist and carried a sketch book with him all the time. At the end of the hunt he gave me a caricature (cartoon) he had drawn of myself with binos built into my head because he said I was constantly looking through them. To be successful THAT'S how important it is to really use those glasses.

One of the most important things I ever learned about hunting is this..... Animals don't care about time. To be successful we need to take on that same attitude...

Good Luck...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post

he gave me a caricature (cartoon) he had drawn of myself with binos built into my head
    This we gotta see! Still have it?
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Ok, all this advice motivated me to go out one last time this weekend before winter. Any suggestions on which trail I should check out?

I would contact the guy who harvested the Brown Bear back Devils Cr. and find out exactly where that 683 pounds of meat is laying. Even if a Bear has moved it, the Magpie's and Ravens will show you where it is currently. Might be a wolf or wolverine on it. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ir-RB300-I-did!!!

Ok, all this advice motivated me to go out one last time this weekend before winter. Any suggestions on which trail I should check out?

I'm mainly looking for bear right now, any suggestions for another trail that gets up in the alpine quickly like Carter Lake Trail? I've been looking at google maps for the past hour, but its hard to tell which trails gain elevation quickly and which ones don't?

Maybe make your own trail. I have had my best luck going to places with no trail. Sure the walking isn't as easy but that means less human scent and hopefully more animals. I have seen many bears in Turnagain pass this year

Lol I did that about a month ago near Hope, got about a half a mile up the mountain in about 2.5 hours

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast