Thread: New sheep hunter, need help choosing best tag

Default New sheep hunter, need help choosing best tag

I would like some help from more experienced sheep hunter. I want to do a hike in sheep hunt but don't know what tag to get or put in for a draw permit. Thanks

You have plenty of time to choose. It should not be too hard to cruise the ADF&G sight, or even use google, to see the area for each draw hunt. From the map of the area, you can choose permits that offer proximity to walking in. The DCUA is regularly hunted by guys walking in. There are also harvest ticket hunts available that are walk in.
    Plenty of info on the net to help a guy pick hunt areas.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I'd second the DCUA. You're looking for DS203 (or DS204 if you want to compete with motorized folks). Worth considering is that flying into the DCUA and the TMA isn't too expensive. When I hunted those areas a few years ago, it was under $900 per person for each area.

For other walk in permits, the odds are REALLY long, but check out the 14C and 14A permits. Quite a few options there. Worth noting is that the 14A permits are for any ram. For a new sheep hunter, this would make your work on judging a legal animal a lot easier (just have to make sure it's a boy and not a girl).

Good luck!

DS123. Kill a big one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Don't waste your time with a harvest ticket, just wait for a draw tag. Might take a few years but it will be worth it hahahahahahhahaa

Muahahahahhahahahanana

Ha Ha! Good one! 26 years of applying and have never drawn a sheep tag! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by cariboumaster View Post
    I want to do a hike in sheep hunt but don't know what tag to get
    Get an over the counter harvest ticket. Then hike into an area that is open to general season harvest tickets. Just look for the trucks parked next to the road near some mountains come August 8 or 9. If you show up too early there will not be enough trucks to tell you that its a good spot.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    .... Just look for the trucks parked next to the road near some mountains come August 8 or 9. If you show up too early there will not be enough trucks to tell you that its a good spot.
    With experience you will be able to read the more subtle signs that you have found the correct trailhead.

Yk