Thread: Who filled their RB300? I did!!!

Default Who filled their RB300? I did!!!

Got out for one last weekend hunt and it finally paid off. Shot a very nice dark brown sow from Henry creek. Who else has some rb300 pictures to share?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Way to go, congrats, nice hide. You may have gotten the last one for the year.
    Just got off the phone with F&G here in Soldotna, supposedly 4 were taken this past weekend and sounds like it will be E.O. closed tomorrow.
    No definite info on the spring baiting of brownies, yet.

yeah thanks, the hide is very thick. its dark brown with blond tips around the shoulders. got it sealed and they estimated up to 15yrs old 22-9/16 skull. i'm glad i got out, this may be my only brown bear ever.

Congrats man! About the second pic posted, is that just a bad angle on the bear skin or did your cuts get off center?? Just had to ask. Again congrats on a good bear and hard tag to fill!

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    .....About the second pic posted, is that just a bad angle on the bear skin or did your cuts get off center??
    If he got that far off center then he's really got a problem......lol But it looks like to me that he just didn't remember to stretch out the bears left front paw/arm for the pic.

Hopefully.......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

It is off center, to be sure. But an easy fix for a competent taxidermist. Wrong skinning cuts are commonly corrected so that the finished rug is symmetrical.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

ah no, skinned very well actually, after 8hrs in the field I was ready to go and just hadn't stretched it all the way. not my first rodeo, just tired after a long hard day, and looking at a 5mile hike out after loading that big girl up. hide measured a tad over 7ft nose to tail.

Lucky take just in time,season closed
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Way to go Wini! Nice bear!

Quote Originally Posted by winibezold View Post
    ah no, skinned very well actually, after 8hrs in the field I was ready to go and just hadn't stretched it all the way. not my first rodeo, just tired after a long hard day, and looking at a 5mile hike out after loading that big girl up. hide measured a tad over 7ft nose to tail.

I can imagine you were tired. A lot of people don't realize the energy needed to manipulate a bear around for skinning - especially if you were hunting by yourself and had no help.

She is very pretty - looks like a glossy/silky hide. Probably a result of not having cubs to raise. I wonder how many years it had been since her last cubs? Any biologists here that might know?
    Taxidermy IS art!

Quote Originally Posted by winibezold View Post
    Whew! Yeah on trophy like that, I was worried for ya. Shoulda took a mountain bike, although, that trail is a butt kicker if not in shape on a bike too pulling a trailer.

actually, i did have a bike. it got me in there in 1/3 the time of hiking and saved my life on the way out. tip..... barney's pack frame is long enough to span between the handle bars and the seat of most normal sized mountain bikes. with the weight of the pack, diminishing light and physical exhaustion the bike was a god send. all in all, the trip was a success and I can say for sure my luck had finally come around. I rode in spotted a nice bear well within stalking range and in an excelent spot to stalk. I made it to within 50yds of the bear before i could see it to shoot. 3 shots from the 338 for safe measure and the bear rolled 250yds down into the creek. I felt like the luckiest person on the mountain that day. got in before dark and made it back to the truck about 30min after dark. F&G estimated age up to 15yrs old, skull measured 22 9/16. Hide was 7ft nose to tail with no prior stretching. Now I just have to wait to get it back from Dahlberg's before I can truly enjoy my bear.

Congratulations again on a very nice bear. I think waiting for the mount is the hardest part. Did you choose open or closed mouth?
    Taxidermy IS art!

Oh......good deal you chose Jessie. I'm sure you'll be happy.

Oh and btw.........congrats for taking another moose eater off the Kenai...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Love your sow, and that beautiful hide she has --what a color!

Real pretty bear with some nice salt pepper marking in the fur, everything was turned, fleshed and salted the night you dropped it off. Got second salting last night, 3rd and hung up to dry today. Cuts were pretty darn near perfect, layed out flat and straight it was a FAT bear. Pretty stubby back legs. Should look like a big flying squirrel.. (Meaning it's almost) as wide in the belly as long.

Thanks,

Jesse
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy