Thread: Goat Hunt

Default Goat Hunt

So has anyone ever have a goat jump/roll 1,500+ feet? I was out scouting around with some friends and we spotted a one horn goat about 800 yards away and moved in on it and got just under 500 yards where we set up to look and possibly shoot. Judging a goat with one horn is incredible hard to do. There was a group of 4 of us and 2 of them said it was a nanny and my other friend and I said it was a billy. When looking strait down on us it looked like it had a big gland behind its horn and the horn looked like it "y'ed" out. And when looking from the side it looked like it had a nice long curvature to it. I told my buddy range me in and he said 479 yards at 5.5 moa. I clicked in, took two deep breaths and squeezed the trigger. Goat dropped like a rock but got back up. As soon as I squeezed my second shot off the goat was at the top of a ridge and did a front flip down the other side. Not knowing what the other side was like me and my buddy went up to investigate while the other two went after another goat. After getting to the top of a very steep rock slide we looked over the edge to see nothing but a vertical drop off.....crap. Needless to say my buddy I had with me is deathly afraid of heights, so we cruise down and I run into another buddy on trial who had more courage for vertical hiking. We hiked the rest of the way up to the top of the trail we where on and climbed down a steep shoot which had plenty of trees and plants to grab on to. After about 4 hours of searching and climbing down 1,500 feet we come across my goat....JOY! Sad to say it was not a billy but a nanny...very big nanny but no horns What do you expect though from a fall/roll like that? We skinned her out and took all meat and began our climb down, we did talk about going back up and over but on the side of the mountain we where on it would extreme dangerous to pack out and up with the load we had. After a scary fall from my buddy we come across a sheer cliff which we ended up traversing and going down a very lose rock slop to come out on a glacier. Picking our path carefully we made it to the top of the glacier and saw the main trail! Little did we know we where anywhere from 1 to 1.5 miles from the trial. Not to many things scare me in life but walking a glacier with no gear is one of them. But we made it back to the trial and my original friend I went up with and went home. Never will I take a shot on a goat that high up on a mountain. Many lessons where learned today but out of all of it I have fresh delicious goat meat in the fridge waiting to be ground up.

Congrats on bding in one piece & on the goat!
    And for having 1 smart friend Weall need ay least one to keep us out of trouble!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I shot one years ago in unit 357 that rolled down the shale nearly to the bottom of the drainage. Took several hours to hike around to where we could get to it. Luckily the horns were still on it, although the skull plate was broke and they were folded back. (I had shot it in the head) That probably save the horns from breaking off.
    Took 2 trips to get it packed back to camp. It is the only animal I have ever had messed with by predators. We were able to recover all the meat with the exception of a small amount that was eaten.
    A week later I was in another unit with my brother and cousin. They both took B&C goats. Mine would make the 3 year book, but I have not entered it. My brother's goat is in the top 3rd of the all time book, with horns more than 10". Was a great year for goats on the Kenai.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by MntMan69 View Post
    Needless to say my buddy I had with me is deathly afraid of heights
    Sounds like the perfect goat hunting partner!

Where you using a spotting scope to judge sex on the goat? Spotting scopes are basically a necessity for goat hunting IMO.

Congrats on your goat though! I guess without the horns it's going to be a little more difficult to determine age.

Yes we where using a spotting scope! Just with only one horn to look at it was difficult. If I go goat hunting again I will not be shooting unless the goat is at least 500 feet from any ridge! Going up and over a mountain was fun but very tiring!