Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DM 766 coming soon...anyone else on here going?

Default DM 766 coming soon...anyone else on here going?

I drew the DM 766 tag this year. I have had this tag a couple times in the last 7 years. Just curious if anyone else on this forum got drawn and when they are planning on hunting. I am looking to head out on November 1, but am concerned about the warmer than normal weather and being able to get across the 2 rivers heading out the Rex trail. I will probably try getting out there with a 4 wheeler or side by side and hope the water is low enough to cross and pray that it doesn't dump a bunch of snow on me while out there.

We may be heading out then..... Nov 1st can be a tough time of year for crossing both rivers.
    If your're able to cross both rivers there's a high probability that one of the rivers could glaciate behing you overnight. Seen river swell 4-5' over night with slushy open leads not capable of supporting a wheeler. Nov 1st, 2012 water backed up into trees.

Hillary's use to hanging out with AK Sled Heads and is pretty good at skipping water on her sled... on the other hand good old dad little more hesitant about skipping across slushy open leads. If conditions are to bad dad may head home and leave Hill to fend for herself...

Anyways good luck hope to see you on the trail. Hillary's sled is 600 REV all white with girl devil wings on cowling. Can't miss it.
    Oh she'll be wearing pink camo jacket with fur rough.

I am going to go check out the trail Thursday to see how the rivers look. Depending on what I see I might be out there on the opener or give it a couple weeks. If we don't get more snow, you might have some trouble getting out the trail on snow machines. I will be in a an Arctic Cat 550 prowler side by side. Stop by and say hi if you see me out there.

~Eric

Thinking about second weekend for my trip...love to hear a report.

Went out the trail today on my side by side. Got to the first river and it is still mostly open and deep water. I'm going to wait a couple more weeks and check again.

Eric

thanks for the update. River was open, but was the trail pretty good?

Trail was pretty good. Not a lot of snow on the trail. Ranged from 2 to 4 inches of snow.

Trail update:
    Went in Saturday morning Nov. 8th and it was 43 degrees in Healy but 7 degrees at trail head so I was thinking all was good. Snow was good, rivers were frozen over. The trail was a bit rough in spots but made good time. No worries!

The weekend was pretty dang windy and warm. It was upper 30s and low 40s with strong, dry wind.

Monday November 10th on the way out snow was still pretty good until we got to the Tatlanika River. After that it got sketchy. Rivers were both frozen. The Totalanika had a little overflow and the little surface water made it super slippery, ice rink slippery. A lot of snow had disappeared along the flats and along the burn sections between the two rivers and from the Totatlanika to the highway. There was a lot of standing water, several inches deep on top of the frozen bogs mixed with slush. There were considerable stretches of mud and dirt.
    The last few miles to the truck there was hard packed snow but it was thin.

It looks like the warm weather is supposed to continue. I was supposed to stay another day, but kind of glad I came out early (unfortunately moose-less) because I am guessing it would have been a pretty ugly trip out and possible a walk out to save the snowmachine. It would have been a tough drag with a moose loaded in the tubs. I had a tundra and it would have put a lot of heat onto the hitrax runners. My buddy had a water cooled heat exchanger machine that would have easily overheated had there been much more dry ground/mud.

I saw a couple guys with 4-wheelers in there and followed their tracks out. It looks like it was quite bit of work for them in spots.

Does anyone have an update on the trail, river crossings, success, pics, anything...?

I ended up with obligations at home that couldn't be put off so I didn't get back out there. On the plus side, the troopers called me for a road kill moose so at least I have some moose in the freezer this winter.

~Eric

See you out there?

I made it to the first river crossing. Very little snow. I'll be headed back with a four wheeler. I followed what looked like Argo tracks and they crossed the river so I imagine a guy could get across. Kind of a sketch year on the Rex.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    See you out there?
    Although I drew the ML tag, I shot my moose in September. My friend is out there right now and they only made it about 10 miles down the Rex before they ran out of snow and had to stop. He said they saw a bull coming out on a wheeler. Better take wheelers or something other than a snogo for now.

We gambled and are going thru town right now with trailer full of wheelers. Sounds like we made the right choice.

Good luck - will be looking for your report!

Sounds like it hasn't changed much since I was out a couple weeks ago.
    I see a chance of snow in the forecast for that area. I would like to hear from anyone if it amounts to anything and changes trail conditions or choice of machine for the last weekend.
    thanks in advance

Think wheeler be my first choice. Fan cooled sled close second.
    We went in with side by side and sled two weeks ago. Transferred weight in burn area over to wheeler. Glad we did. Totatlanica but weight back in tub behind sled. Had no problem side by side all the way to Boniface. From base camp we hunted on foot. Would have been nice to have had two sleds once we were to Gold King Creek. Really need two types of machines.
    From our base camp we hunted on foot. Worked great!! As Hillarie was able to call in a nice bull less than mile from camp.
    Two years ago we called on right into camp same location. So as to two weeks ago bulls were still responding to right type of calls.

Good job on being resourceful to access the hunt area. I suspect there will be a few more tag holders out there with the small bit of new snow we received.

Any luck out there?
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Just got home and settled. Got one on Tuesday. Couldn't get one to cooperate for dad. Stalked several. Just tough tromping thru the snow while being careful with his new knee. Great temps. Few inches of fluff fell mid week. Plenty of snow for sleds past the Tat. Couldn't hunt our normal area being on a ranger and 6 wheeler but we adapted and did good. Put a mean stalk on a "bull" going to town on a small spruce. It was behind a group of trees and we got to 62 yards when we realized it was a cow rubbing its head like crazy on a skinned tree. That was a new one on us!

Who was bombing around in a hagglund earlier in the hunt? They went all over the place and spit 2 tracks in the process. Be nice if they had moved them off the trail a bit. We rolled one over so someone wouldn't hit it but didn't get the other.

To the folks with the busted machine. We started carrying those suspension pieces with us on these hunts. We had that same issue our first year back there and luckily we stripped it down and a very nice guy in Nenana welded them for us. Hope all else went well for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast