Thread: Bear of a lifetime, now the rug

Default Bear of a lifetime, now the rug

OK, I was fortunate enough to take a kenai penn brown bear yesterday. a nice large adult sow. so....no guff, who does the best rugs in the south central? I'm not worried about the cost or time to complete, I just want the best rug I can get. I figure this mount will be with me for the rest of my life so I don't want any hiccups. Thanks

Congrats on getting another moose eater off the Kenai. What area?

If I ever want to do another mount it would no doubt be Jessie..... https://www.facebook.com/dahlbergstaxidermy?fref=pb
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I would get suggestions for what shops to go visit, see the work and go with what YOU like. I would recommend you go see Juli. I seen a ton of her work she did with Dan, (Fosters Taxidermy) and its top notch for sure. Congrats on the bear.

The bear came from the devil's creek drainage. rolled in their just hoping to see any black bear, but ended up getting on a nice fat sow brownie. no cubs or evidence of cubs this year and all by herself up in the mountains.

Thank you alaskabarbwire. I guess I have seen a few bears during my career.:-) I agree it is best for anyone looking for a taxi to visit shops in person before making a final decision.

Wiz, congrats! Must have been a great surprise to come across that sow. I bet she has phenomenal hair.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Dave Winney, Frontier Taxidermy Valdez.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Nice to see a few closed mouth bear rugs Jessie does great work, he's done a mount for me, and will be doing a lifesize goat and bear for me this year. The only rug I've had done was a couple years ago and Lone Wolf taxidermy did a great job. Dave is on the forum.

In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

IMO, its all a matter of what your looking for. Look around, find your likes and dislikes of the various rugs. Take pictures to illustrate your likes and dislikes. Share them with the taxidermist. The fringe, the eyes, the nose, open or closed mouth. Many of the taxidermists have their own style and signature which shows in their finish product. I'd probably go for the taxidermist who's work is more of what you like.

Communicate to the Taxidermist what you want and work with the taxidermist.

I've facilitated some bears towards a few taxidermists and all have done good work. More recently, I've sent a few to Juli and have been extremely pleased with the results and especially enjoyed the lack of attitude displayed by others. I wish I was a better hunter/facilitator and could send her more business. RJ is top notch as he has helped a few friends. And despite his being a bit north, I wouldn't discount working with him either.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    IMO, its all a matter of what your looking for. Look around, find your likes and dislikes of the various rugs. Take pictures to illustrate your likes and dislikes. Share them with the taxidermist. The fringe, the eyes, the nose, open or closed mouth. Many of the taxidermists have their own style and signature which shows in their finish product. I'd probably go for the taxidermist who's work is more of what you like.

Communicate to the Taxidermist what you want and work with the taxidermist.

I've facilitated some bears towards a few taxidermists and all have done good work. More recently, I've sent a few to Juli and have been extremely pleased with the results and especially enjoyed the lack of attitude displayed by others. I wish I was a better hunter/facilitator and could send her more business. RJ is top notch as he has helped a few friends. And despite his being a bit north, I wouldn't discount working with him either.
    You are correct that every taxidermist has their own style, to be sure, and a hunter should look for the taxidermist that has the style they want or like. Beyond that I would say also that the taxidermist should be able to also convey the type of expression someone is looking for in a mount - relaxed, worried, alert, etc... I wouldn't want on open mouth bear rug with a relaxed expression - but I wouldn't want a closed mouth rug with an angry expression either. LOL...

For Winizebold, I posted a thread some time ago here that discusses in some detail what they might look for in a quality rug. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...rmational-post

Thank you for the very kind words, too.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!