Thread: Rendering Bear Fat??

Default Rendering Bear Fat??

I thought this would be a good place to ask. I need to know how to render bear fat. Got a small black bear recently while on my wife's once in a life time Idaho moose hunt. Came away with about 2 full gallon ziplocs full of good bear fat. Several years ago someone gave my wife some bear lard and she made huckleberry oatmeal cookies with bear lard in them, best darn cookies I have ever eaten. So, anyway I have some bear fat in the freezer and need to know how to get it one step closer to having some delicious cookies to eat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don't if that link will work but it is my wifes moose.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Make sure it's nice and clean and free of any bits of meat (which will impart undesirable flavors). Cut it into very small uniform pieces (1/4 inch cubes or so), or run it through a grinder. Place in a clean cast iron (preferable) or other heavy pot. I have a large porcelain lined cast iron dutch oven which works great. Add a little water to the bottom (helps get the heating started without scorching, and will cook off before it's done) and place over medium-low heat. Heat VERY GENTLY and initially stir frequently/constantly to prevent scorching (which will impart undesirable flavors) until the fat begins to melt. Continue to heat gently for the better part of a day (maybe up to 12 hours). Never let it get hot enough to smoke (which will impart undesirable flavors), just barely simmering is all you want. Long and slow is the way to go, don't try to rush it! Pour through several layers of clean cheese cloth to filter out the cracklins. Package in sterile canning jars. When cooled the finished product will be pure white and have a very mild clean flavor. Sealed jars will keep a couple years in the freezer, or a few months in the fridge. Best pastry shortening known to man!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Thanks for the information. And yes it is the best shortening.

I render lard in the crock pot- it takes a long time 12-16hours but it doesn't get hot enough to scorch or smoke and doesn't need constant attention. Be sure to leave the lid cracked to let some moisture escape. Other than that, pretty much exactly as IOT describes.

Be sure to label the jars in the order you skim them off. The earlier ones will be lighter and less flavored than later ones for use in pastry.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

My current crock pot get too ****ed hot. Lots of newer ones do.... I'm guessing it's an attempt to appease our increasingly impatient society. But it's contrary to the intent of a crock pot...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Pour through several layers of clean cheese cloth to filter out the cracklins.
    Have never done this before but may in the future. What exactly are the "cracklins"...???

Oh and congrats to you and your wife bigswede for connecting on the moose. That's a great pic...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    What exactly are the "cracklins"...???
    The tasty little crispy bits left over after the fat is rendered out. Think cross between pork-rinds and bacon. You should google it.
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    Got a small black bear recently while on my wife's once in a life time Idaho moose hunt.
    I'm wondering if literally means "once in a lifetime" meaning......you can't put in for the permit ever again once you've drawn it? Or do you mean the odds are probably too great to ever draw it again...???

Hard to beat that moose meat.....eh?

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    The tasty little crispy bits left over after the fat is rendered out. Think cross between pork-rinds and bacon. You should google it.
    ...and how!

Probably won't make your cardiologist very happy...but they're a notoriously humorless bunch.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I'm wondering if literally means "once in a lifetime" meaning......you can't put in for the permit ever again once you've drawn it? Or do you mean the odds are probably too great to ever draw it again...???

Hard to beat that moose meat.....eh?
    You only get one in a lifetime in Idaho, you can get 1 bull moose, 1 cow moose, 1 mountain goat, 1 Rocky Mt bighorn sheep, and 1 california/desert bighorn.

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    You only get one in a lifetime in Idaho, you can get 1 bull moose, 1 cow moose, 1 mountain goat, 1 Rocky Mt bighorn sheep, and 1 california/desert bighorn.
    Thanks......I kinda had the feeling that you meant "once in a lifetime" literally. Do you and the wife apply for all the rest as well...???

Thanks......I kinda had the feeling that you meant "once in a lifetime" literally. Do you and the wife apply for all the rest as well...???
    Not yet. The draw system is frustrating to say the least. If a person puts in for a controlled hunt for say deer or elk, trophy unit or antlerless hunt, then you can't put in for one of the once in a lifetime hunts that same year. Also, if you draw a once in a lifetime hunt or trophy deer and elk hunt, you must skip a year before applying again. And all drawings are random, my wife drew her moose tag within about 3 or4 years of trying, I talked to one old timer who had been applying for 29 years straight without drawing.

You're right Swede...hard to draw for sure.

Congrats to your wife!! Moose meat balls are my favorite with some fat pig mixed in. Having to settle for elk balls lately but nothing wrong with that.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I saved all the fat from a bear I got a couple years ago with the intention of rendering it, But never got around to it. It still looked ok last time I was in the freezer. Is there a good chance that it will still turn out good.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    I saved all the fat from a bear I got a couple years ago with the intention of rendering it, But never got around to it. It still looked ok last time I was in the freezer. Is there a good chance that it will still turn out good.
    If it has been a couple years, the odds are not good.
    #Resist