Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many...???

Default How many...???

Just curious as to how many hunting guides, or 4mer hunting guides we have here on the forum? That includes assistant hunting guides as well.

Thanks....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I guided for a couple of years before moving to Alaska 40 years ago, if that counts.

I greatly respect the ethical guides of the world, and have nothing but contempt for the bad actors.

As for the guiding itself, they earn every cent and still fall short in my book. There's not enough money in the world to make me want to do it again.

I'm just not cut out for dealing with rich folks trading money for trophies. Gimme the common man any day, the guy who can seldom afford a guide and truly earns every trophy. That's real hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I guided for a couple of years before moving to Alaska 40 years ago, if that counts.

I greatly respect the ethical guides of the world, and have nothing but contempt for the bad actors.

As for the guiding itself, they earn every cent and still fall short in my book. There's not enough money in the world to make me want to do it again.

I'm just not cut out for dealing with rich folks trading money for trophies. Gimme the common man any day, the guy who can seldom afford a guide and truly earns every trophy. That's real hunting.

A wise man once told me that you should never feel that you should have to voice every opinion. However, I can't help but have an issue with this. People trade money for everything in this life, thats the essence of commerce. To enfer that someone hasn't earned a "trophy" just because he has paid someone is quite insulting. That people without means are "real hunters" and those with means are not, that is insulting.

There are plenty of people in this world that can buy whatever they want, and the lionshare who scratch for what little they have. To say that one person has earned someting more or deserves something more because of the how much, or little $$ they have is quite frankly offensive.

I have spent my entire sporting life in search of what is a bucket list item for me, a 50lb ocean caught king salmon. Most of that time has been on my own boat(s). I have also spent quite a bit of time on charter boats, and the closest i have come to my magic mark was several years ago on a charter. Would it mean more or less because i paid someone to guide me? Certainly not to me. Am i less of a sportsman because I can afford such charters? Certainly not.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I'm speaking only about the people I ran into while guiding, and no one else. Fear of encountering another like them is enough to keep me out of the game. Forever. Like I said, I'm not cut out for it.

I was a former assistant guide and I had my registered guide license for a couple years but I found the career wasn't healthy for my family life. I did most of my assistant guiding while I was young and single. I gave it up and now I just enjoy hunting for myself and with my family and friends. That and that fact that I got tired of babysitting nonresidents and not being able to pull the trigger myself. But, I'm glad I did it when I did. I got to see some great parts of the state, spend lots of time outdoors, and I learned a lot about the outdoors and hunting. I would gladly do it all over again. For all the young bucks that don't have a lot of responsibilities or a family to take care of I highly recommend it.

been doin it for 39 years. best job in the world. gettin paid to camp and hunt in the awesome wilderness of Alaska. 60 now and hope I can keep on keepin on!

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    been doin it for 39 years. best job in the world. gettin paid to camp and hunt in the awesome wilderness of Alaska. 60 now and hope I can keep on keepin on!
    Wow. That is impressive gunner. Hopefully you got some young strong packers to help you with the dirty work.

Former Asst Guide. Only worked for 2 different guides on the Sew. Pen. Enjoyed the work mostly, tho for alot of the time I was flying my plane. Enjoyed all the folks I met and guided or helped guide.
    Guiding biz ain't so profitable in that area any more and I don't like risking the plane. Spring bear guiding/flying/etc. was a hoot!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Just cooked,cleanest hands and best food.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Thats awesome! Hearing that enthusiasm after four decades says alot about a guy and what he chose to spend his life doing
    ...cheers to time well spent, and many years to come.

Guys like me say prayers for longetivity like that. Cause im certain of one thing: however long im fortunate enough to ply my trade...it wont be long enough. Theres just no "job" or lifestyle i'd love as much, or work as hard at.

I did some guiding for elk, mule deer, and pronghorn in Wyoming for a few years before moving up here. My dad was an outfitter and/or guide for most my life growing up, so I'm pretty familiar with the guiding industry in Wyoming and spent a lot of time in the field and at camp with guides and hunters. It was a lot of fun, though definitely a lot of work, too.

Haven't done any guiding in Alaska, other than guiding my dad to a pretty nice dall sheep this year.

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I had an assistant license for a few years. Enjoyed chasing goats most of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    Haven't done any guiding in Alaska, other than guiding my dad to a pretty nice dall sheep this year.

Cheers,
    Rich
    Indeed you did...!!!

I have a class a assistant guide license and guide part time mostly for sheep. It is very rewarding. Helping others fulfill their dreams and sharing the great state of Alaska is something I truly enjoy. The main things I don't like about it are being away from my family and conflicts of scheduling with my full time job.

I guided....
    15 years....Cordova, Kodiak, dillingham, talkeetna's, chugachs's, wrangels, south end ak peninsula, north end ak peninsula, mighta forgot one...
    Was averaging almost 17 hunts a year for the last six years. Loved it, got out of it because the industry was getting iffy, so I headed to the slope. Don't like the new job but it's consistent at least. I thought the longer I was out of guiding the easier it would be. Not so, been two years now and I ache inside looking at pictures, seeing the seasons change, smelling the air and just day dreaming.
    I have my master guide license and hope to do a hunt or two here and there. Maybe someday get my pilots license and fly for a guide or lodge. That would be enjoyable for me. But man do I miss Kodiak right now......I'm gonna go cry now.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I am an assistant guide, part time due to full time career. Wish I could do it more but I get in a month or so every year depending on clients. I'v seen the good, bad, and ugly....both clients and Registered guides. I'm not in it for the $$, I mostly do it to spend more time in the woods and better myself.
    I am now in the process of trying to find work with/for other outfitters, I have grown tired of the "shifty" business practices from some........

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Don't like the new job but it's consistent at least. .
    Same reason I got out of it too. Didn't do it half as long as you did....couldn't afford it raising 4 kids. Same guys I guided for asked me if I wanted to guide fishing as well, but I didn't want any part of that rat race..... I have to say I don't miss the baby sitting, but I do miss just being out there. Remote Alaska is to die for and I'm sure glad I did it when I did. But I still think I was born a hundred years too late.....

I started guiding in 1995 and obtained a Registered Guide license as soon as I finished my apprenticeship about three years later. So I haven't been at it nearly as long as some of you old codgers! I really enjoy it, and even though once in a while you get a hunter that's not as much fun, almost all of them are great people, and I think being with some of them has made me a better person. I don't know of another way to cram in as much hunting in a short amount of time as guiding does; it's really something. And you get to test yourself. Not just your physical capabilities (you can always do more than you think), but your personal standards and ethics too. I remember passing on a nice ram once, because he was bedded just over the saddle in another guide's area. Nobody would have known, and the guide was not working that area and would have never known the difference... but my hunter and I felt better walking away from that sheep than just about anything. It's nice to be tested now and then, if for no other reason than just to know who you really are, for yourself.

I have kept my license active, though I don't do much guiding anymore. I am licensed for GMUs 9, 13, 19, 21 and 23 and have guided for Dall sheep, moose, caribou, black bear and brown bear. My specialty is float hunting, but I have done many drop camp hunts too. It's been a part of my life I would not trade for anything.

The money is certainly an issue for me, as it has been for many others. No way could I have supported my family on it.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Alaska Registered Guide, Licensed to Guide Game Units #6, 8, 9, 13, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21, 25, 26 Started in 69' in Idaho. Retired in 2007 (Commercial Pilot, SEL MEL SES IR and skilled at crashing Super Cubs and C-180 and C-185)

Guided out of Kotzebue for 7 years, loved it but got out of it when my master guide retired. After 21 years of guiding between fishing and hunting I no longer do any of it anymore. I miss it a lot but on the other hand it's nice to shoot your own animal or hold your own fishing rod.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast