Thread: Looking to follow my dream

Default Looking to follow my dream

Hi i am a 20 year old guy and for as long as i can remember i have wanted to be a alaskan hunting guide, i have been born and raised in fairbanks and have lots of fishing, hunting, and trapping experiance in the interior, alls i am looking for is someone to give me a chance and work with a guide for a season as a pack mule or camp hand, my end goal is to eventually get my guiding licesnse but i know u gotta pay your dues and work your way up, if you may have need for someone like me please send me a message back, thank you for your time.

Some great guides up north. Knock on a few doors. Somebody wants the help. Good luck!
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

You don't happen to know a good place to start knocking do you?

Alaska Professional Hunters annual banquet, December 5th in Anchorage at the Millennium Hotel. Great place to press some flesh and start to network. Best of luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by dakata View Post
    You don't happen to know a good place to start knocking do you?

Search the State's professional license database by using the link below.
    http://commerce.state.ak.us/dnn/cbpl...nseSearch.aspx

Once in the database search page, type "GUI" in the board box, and then "A", "R" or "M" in the license type box. Use Fairbanks as the city. It will only let you search one type at at time. These searches will bring up lists of assistant, registered, and master guides that have current licenses with the state that live in Fairbanks. You can click on the "details" on the far left side of the screen for each one to obtain the address they listed on their license application. The rest is up to you and your google skills for finding how to contact them in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by dakata View Post
    Hi i am a 20 year old guy and for as long as i can remember i have wanted to be a alaskan hunting guide, i have been born and raised in fairbanks and have lots of fishing, hunting, and trapping experiance in the interior, alls i am looking for is someone to give me a chance and work with a guide for a season as a pack mule or camp hand, my end goal is to eventually get my guiding licesnse but i know u gotta pay your dues and work your way up, if you may have need for someone like me please send me a message back, thank you for your time.
    Go get an education....or go learn a trade....trying to make it as a broke dick hunting guide....you can do better than that....

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    Go get an education....or go learn a trade....trying to make it as a broke dick hunting guide....you can do better than that....
    I'll add in with learn a trade, skip the "education." I did trade school and traditional higher ed (Master's Degree.) I paid far less for my vo-tech program than I did for my Master's Degree, and made far more money in my trade than with my degree. If I could give back my Bachelor and Master's Degrees and not be able to use them, and be forgiven all the debt I incurred, I wouldn't hesitate.

I'd say follow your dream. In a couple/ few years its not working out for you then go to school, or learn a trade. The schools aren't going anywhere and you can say that you spent the younger of your days doing what you love then you "Can't do better than that". I'm not for an instant thinking I know you or your situation but you might be a broke 20 year old now with no degree or trade or you could be a broke 24 year old with no degree or trade. but at least you could say you tried!

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post

Speaking as one that followed their dreams when younger and then went back to school I'd say, Go For It while you are young but it's easier when you have a trade.
    I was able to do it on hard work, grit, and determination but some of those years were mighty lean.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

guide wages are pretty good these days, along with tips. If you can put in a good long fall season and a spring bear season, your income could be pretty substantial for 4 months work. None of the benefits associated with a real career job, such as medical or 401k. Put in your summers fish guiding or comm. fishing. I did it and I wouldn't change a thing.And with winters off, possibly you could attend a trade school or get a degree.
    Better to have followed your dream and failed, then to spend the rest of your life regretting.