Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DP (Dog Proof Traps) for marten?

Default DP (Dog Proof Traps) for marten?

Anyone tried those DP coon traps for marten? I keep seeing them on the trapping show and they seem pretty effective for coon. Just not sure they would work for other critters? Anyhow, curious if anyone has tried them, and if they worked.

Thanks,
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Never seen or heard of a dog proof trap. I rarely make any cubby sets for marten anymore. I make all of my sets off of the ground on lean-pole sets where the marten will hang off the ground a ways with a conibear or leghold. Unless you have a tree climbing dog, your dog will be just fine. That being said; I do catch the occasional house cat.

I don't have to worry about any dogs around here. It was more of trying out what appears to be an easy trap to set and make. Currently all my marten sets are on pole sets using leg holds.

Here's a link to them: http://www.flemingtraps.com/dp-coon-traps.html

Claude

120 conibears all day long. I wouldn't even consider coon traps for marten when there are specific marten traps that are proven. I personally prefer the coni over a foothold without a doubt. A quick dead marten is not getting pitched or struggling and causing fur damage. Why mess around with a hide that is that valuable?

The dogproof is tripped by the coon pulling the trigger I believe, I don't see any use for it here in Alaska. #0's and #1's are about as easy as it gets for marten and all I use anymore................
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

I've trapped thousands of marten in my life. I just asked if anyone had tried the DP traps for them. I almost exclusively use pole sets with a #1, but that wasn't the question here.

Think I might by one or two and give it a try who's knows might work might not.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.”--Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by thunder chicken1 View Post
    The dogproof is tripped by the coon pulling the trigger I believe,
    Pretty sure he's right, Claude. I would suspect that you would catch "some" marten with these, but not the percentage that would make it economical to buy them.
    If your still curious, ask the question on www.trapperman.com on the "Trap Talk" forum. That is the forum for the lower 48 trappers.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Pretty sure he's right, Claude. I would suspect that you would catch "some" marten with these, but not the percentage that would make it economical to buy them.
    If your still curious, ask the question on www.trapperman.com on the "Trap Talk" forum. That is the forum for the lower 48 trappers.
    [QUOTE=thunder chicken1;1434595]The dogproof is tripped by the coon pulling the trigger I believe"

There are two kinds of dog proofs a pull only trigger as mentioned already and a push pull trigger. Obviously the push pull design would have a higher percent chance of catching nontarget critters such as the marten, since the dog proof is coon trap design. I know you can catch just about anything in a dog proof even a pull only. I personally know of fox being caught in a pull only trap so anything is possible. But as stated I would stick with a #0 or #1 if you are looking for leg traps for marten! I don' think I would waist your time buying dog proofs for Alaska!

Great info and thoughts, guys. I thought I would check to make sure I wasn't missing out on some secret. Just a few days until trapping season starts for everything! Good luck all!

I have experience with dog proof traps but have never saw a live martin. They work for coon mainly because of the coons nature. Coon here are used to finding food in trash left behind by people and they will investigate anything that could hold a meal. They do catch some coon but will not catch any more than I could with a leg hold trap. The big advantage here is you can set them in the edge of your yard and not catch a dog. If I knew more about martin I would try to give you a better answer. I saw this post over a week ago and did not answer because I did not know much about martin. I hope this helps.

Claude,
    I have used the DP pull type a lot for coons and they can catch possum's also. I think a martin could fire one off if they have long enough arms? I agree the push/pull type would be my choice to experiment with... Around here you can buy packages of catfish bait balls that are treated with different scents that the coons really go for. I usually drop a cpl of those and a cpl small marshmallows in and its good to go! Mice can be bait stealers so that could be a martin set issue??? The marshmallows make a good snack for me also but you want to be sure NOT to get in a hurry and toss the catfish bait in your yapper!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    I have experience with dog proof traps but have never saw a live martin. They work for coon mainly because of the coons nature. Coon here are used to finding food in trash left behind by people and they will investigate anything that could hold a meal. They do catch some coon but will not catch any more than I could with a leg hold trap. The big advantage here is you can set them in the edge of your yard and not catch a dog. If I knew more about martin I would try to give you a better answer. I saw this post over a week ago and did not answer because I did not know much about martin. I hope this helps.
    They will catch more coon by far just because you can set them so much faster, they even work great in place of pocket sets on slide wires. You can plop them down without the need for digging the pocket. Not saying that leg holds are not effective they are very much so but you can set dog proofs way faster. I wouldn't say they won't catch dogs because anything is possible I have caught fox in them before and that is with pull only so you just never know. That said there is definitely more efficient sets for marten. I wouldn't go purchase some just for marten I guess.

One of the states I trap is legal to bait deer. A lot of my trapping is at these bait sites to remove the coon. Several of these sites has game cameras on them and I see more coon come to a set with dog proof traps and leave the set without getting caught than I see getting caught. Around a medium size dog and up there foot will not fit in a dog proof trap. They do have there place in trapping but they are not fool proof. Because the dog proofs are so quick to set I usually put 2 or 3 of them at a bait site and use 1 or 2 coil springs also. Way more than 50% of my coon come in the coil spring traps. I have saw several pictures from these bait sites with a dozen coon or more in the picture and I have put 3 or more dog proofs out at a time but have never had a triple with the dog proofs. I read this thread several times and did not reply until two weeks had passed and there still was not much posted about the dog proofs. I only tried to give information about the dog proofs because I do not know anything about martin.

I agree that it is always best to set different traps and that will increase your catch. I do not have experience trapping over deer bait only experience trapping over coon bait stations. So there sure could be something there. I have caught up to 6 coon in one check with dog proofs though! And triples were very common! I don't know what you were using for bait or if you switched it up at all but I have tried a lot of baits experimenting in feeders and found that there are some baits the coon will clean up and others they won't touch. I have put several baits out at the same time and some get cleaned while others not even touched so bait choice is very important. Coons may just be a little different were you were from to. That is just how my experience differenced from yours. There is a time and a place were most traps will outperform others. On another note my good friend from Nebraska sent me his first days catch yesterday nabbed 95 coon!! Makes a guy miss it a little!!

I have to agree with ryansven on the DP effectiveness, I think the bait choice may have more to do with success? I have dbls and triples often and that's only setting 2 or 3 sets. Put out my first four yesterday as I am still deer hunting hard, working and just wanting to trap a little for fun and today had a triple out of four sets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coon 20141.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	81912
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

If it is the bait choice would you let me in on what you are using? I have tried many different baits and still only catch a few coon in the DP's.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    If it is the bait choice would you let me in on what you are using? I have tried many different baits and still only catch a few coon in the DP's.
    Good Evening Cast Iron,
    Darn cold here, was 12 degrees when I left for work and no coons today, only had four sets out but in a spot that really produces about 20 plus a season. Brrr a bit early here for freeze up! I have the best luck using 2 baits in the DP's, One is marshmallows, big one under the trigger unless its going to freeze then I put smaller ones under it. But, they do not give out much odor so you have to be right on top of their path. My favorite bait is catfish bait balls, they come in many flavors and they all seem to work but shrimp and crawfish flavor are great! A couple of them under the trigger and a small marshmallow or two on top and you better get the skinning knives sharpened!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Catfish baits.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	81945

If you can find them local give it a go, if not Bass Pro, Cabella's etc all sell them online...

Good evening Smokey. Not as cold here but wind is blowing and it is still cold. I have tried marshmallows several times and caught a few coons with them. I have used the catfish balls to fish with but not to trap. I will give them a try. These coons have been used to eating from the feeders and it seems like that is all they have on there mind. They have set up a couple of the game cameras on video and the coons come straight to the feeder and straight back out. I started spraying coon urine at the dp traps and that helped a lot. A friend of mine told me the other day he had good luck using gummy bears candy in the dp's. He opens a couple bags and pours in a zip lock bag then pours a pack of grape kool-aid in on them. Will try this and the catfish bait in a couple more weeks. thanks!

Shot this old timer this AM about 8 oçlock and since the grandsons were up I enlisted the tracking services of my favorite tracker, Cruz age 5 , and he did a stellar job! Old boy only had 4 bottom teeth left in the front but dressed 238lbs! Bit chilly sitting in a tree at 17 degrees!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast