Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Kenai Update

  1. #1

    Default Kenai Update

    Hello,

    I'm looking to take the drift boat down to the Kenai this weekend but heard the water level was very low and the fishing was slow. Has anyone fished the Upper or the Middle recently? Any reports would be appreciated. Thank you.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,763

    Default

    the only thing to know is a bad day of fishing beats a good day at work PLUS YOU ARE OUT SIDE ALL DAY what else do you need to know
    my 2 cts ,, an don't take it wrong have a good trip SID

  3. #3
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    Was out last Friday on the Upper.
    Water was indeed low.
    Level is the same this week as it was last week.

    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ak/nwis/uv...cd=00065,00060

    My friend and I walked in and fished some back channels and did well on 6 & 8mm dead egg beads and small flesh flies.
    There were still plenty of fish but you had to work to find them.

    There were still reds spawning in the back channels we were fishing.


    I fished the middle quite a bit up until the beginning of last week when the catch rate dropped off quite a bit.
    Water was dropping quite a bit also.
    Seems it has dropped even further since.

    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ak/nwis/uv...cd=00065,00060

    There were fish about but the #'s of big fish caught dropped off due to heavy boat traffic and the dropping levels.

  4. #4
    Member Danny Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kenai
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FLYfishin View Post
    Hello,

    I'm looking to take the drift boat down to the Kenai this weekend but heard the water level was very low and the fishing was slow. Has anyone fished the Upper or the Middle recently? Any reports would be appreciated. Thank you.
    There are still some good fish lurking below a Skilak. This fish was caught five days ago (10/20)...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
    There are still some good fish lurking below a Skilak. This fish was caught five days ago (10/20)...
    Nice bow, my favorite time of the year for fishing the Kenai.

  6. #6
    Member Danny Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kenai
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKFly7 View Post
    Nice bow, my favorite time of the year for fishing the Kenai.
    Mine too. From what my buddy tells me we're not the only one who share that sentiment; apparently last weekend was pretty busy. I get home from the slope Friday and am hoping the colder weather brings greater solitude.

  7. #7
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
    Mine too. From what my buddy tells me we're not the only one who share that sentiment; apparently last weekend was pretty busy. I get home from the slope Friday and am hoping the colder weather brings greater solitude.
    I doubt it. Last week was the busiest October day of fishing I've seen in 20+ years. The good old days are long gone.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  8. #8
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    Im surprised there is still enough water for people to run the river still, it was pretty low last time was there. Maybe the guys drifting still have enough water to get around, or the guys with jets.

  9. #9
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    Yep, it's looking pretty skinny now.
    The middle has dropped a foot since I left on the 11th of October.
    It was getting skinny then.

    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ak/nwis/uv...ate=2014-10-31

  10. #10
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Im surprised there is still enough water for people to run the river still, it was pretty low last time was there. Maybe the guys drifting still have enough water to get around, or the guys with jets.
    It's very low. There were plenty of rookies busting prop blades all weekend.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  11. #11
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    I don't doubt it for a minute, I wore one out dodgen boats this out there.

  12. #12

    Default

    Did anyone go this weekend i am planning on floating from sportsmans to jims on thursday? How are the conditions?

  13. #13
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by awwu View Post
    Did anyone go this weekend i am planning on floating from sportsmans to jims on thursday? How are the conditions?
    Pretty low.

    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?15258000

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •