Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Must Read Books

you can try half,com to sell books, i've bought a bunch there.

The Everlasting Stream: A True Story of Rabbits, Guns, Friendship, and Family by Walt Harrington. One of my favorite books, so much so that I gifted a half-dozen of it to friends last Christmas. Not exactly an exciting read, but a story that grabs you, makes you look introspective, and reminds us of what is important.

Last edited by Brian M; 01-08-2018 at 20:00.

Tales of a Big game guide by Russell annabel .All his books about Alaska are awesome.I.bought the last case of the Derry Dale 1992 print of this book .I can ship then for $60 to Alaska book rate.
    I think I.have 50 copies of this book .

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Alaska's Wolfman, is probably my favorite Alaskan book. Frank Glasser lived and incredible Alaskan life. Market hunter, trapper dog musher, wolf caller, etc., what a man!

Yukon Trophies Won and Lost is another great read. The sheer logistics and duration of the early 20th century hunt combined with the hardships is incredible. It was a horse back hunt measured in weeks and not days.

Shadows of The Koyukuk, about Sydney Huntington is a great read and he was a friend of my wife's parents. My wife had him autograph his book when we visited with him in Galena in 2007 on our Koyukuk moose hunt. On the Edge of No Where, about his brother Jimmy Huntington is another great read. They were raised by their native mother and white father on the upper reaches of the Koyukuk in the early days. Lots of adventure and tragedy in both books.

My wife was born in Tanana where her Dad was a U.S. Marshall and lived with her grandparents for awhile in Nulato in the early 50's after her Mom died and the house was built by the Huntington boys Dad who was a gold rush "stampeder".

Another favorite is about an adventurous school teacher who taught school in Seward in the early 50's. The book titled, James "450" Watts, tells many of his out door stories about hunting the Kenai in the early days. Him, his wife and brother-in-law were not the lest bit shy about taking a walk in hunt that would start in Seward and end up at Skilak or Tustumena Lake. They would live off of the land, if they killed a brown bear they would feast on it!

He was also an avid shooter of large calibers and claims to have had a part in the development of many big bore wildcats. He talks about visits and correspondence with P.O. Ackley, Jack O'connor and Elmer Keith. If you like the outdoors and shooting, you will like this book.

Jim Rerardon, has to be my favorite outdoor writer and I wish I would of met him. He knows what he talks about, kind of a been there, done that guy!
    I knew Jim and Bea Watts. He developed the .450 Watts and she was the City Clerk for the City of Seward. Last time I saw them, they were kayaking at Chinitna Bay. They were on their usual spring kayak vacation. A remarkable couple in the old Alaska tradition,

Alaska's Wolfman
    The Final Frontiersman
    Winds of Skilak
    On the Edge of Nowhere
    Wilderness of Denali (if you can find it)

Those will get you a picture of all the events and people who helped mold this into the great state that it is! Lots of lessons about how to be a better outdoorsman (or woman), and neighbor while living in the Last Frontier.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12