Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping blued rifles from rusting??

Default Keeping blued rifles from rusting??

L1090035.jpg I am looking for tricks/tips on keeping old blued rifles from rusting during long periods in the bush. My guiding season runs close to two months and those that have done it will know what I mean when I say you dont always have time to throughly clean your rifle each day. I was lucky enough to get these two Savages in the last year and since the top one is a 358 (my favorite caliber) I would like to use it guiding.....but dont want to ruin it. I have been carrying a 375 Ruger, stainless and while almost perfect, I have a real affinity for these old rifles. I have heard that car wax helps, anyone try it??

For my beat around skiff guns I've always been happy with LPS3, but it's pretty thick and gooey for all day handling. In cooler weather it hardens up pretty good, almost like a lacquer coating, but in warm, not so good. I sure wouldn't want to get it on any moving parts cool or warm, though.

Forum member Rancid Crabtree did a rust preventive test thread, not sure which area it is in...you may find his thread useful.
    "Grin and Bear It"

I keep an oiled shop rag in a ziplock in my pocket and periodically wipe the gun down during the day. Just takes a minute, no rust after many weeks of hunting. Keeping rust off will require some effort on your part. There is no magic "rust proof" aerosol or grease that will stay put forever.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    L1090035.jpg I am looking for tricks/tips on keeping old blued rifles from rusting during long periods in the bush. My guiding season runs close to two months and those that have done it will know what I mean when I say you dont always have time to throughly clean your rifle each day. I was lucky enough to get these two Savages in the last year and since the top one is a 358 (my favorite caliber) I would like to use it guiding.....but dont want to ruin it. I have been carrying a 375 Ruger, stainless and while almost perfect, I have a real affinity for these old rifles. I have heard that car wax helps, anyone try it??
    Lovin' the picture. My kinda coat and rifles.
    I've heard that vaseline works as temporary rust preventative, but I've never tried it. I just keep a rag with gun oil inside a ziploc bag and apply every so often.
    Edit- Oops sorry gunbugs. I see you said the same thing.

I use a barber brush and a small bottle of CLP. The brush allows you to get all the nooks and crannies. I put a few drops on the brush and paint. Once the brush has some in it you can whip it out when you need it. This is a trick we used in the Army as the brush is handy and fast. Barrels that have gotten real hot then cool down and then exposed to moisture rust right before your eyes. The brush is fast and handy. I still use them and have them all over the place in my shop and huntin kit. I think they are 5 bucks and Fred Meyers always has them.

Thanks for the tips, going to get one of those brushes!

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    Thanks for the tips, going to get one of those brushes!
    On a different note, those are some nice rifles. Some feel they are just a tool and they are, but I like hunting with guns like that. So far I have never bagged a thing with a stainless firearm. Not trying to sound like a purist or anything and I may someday take the SS out for a hunt but, I like the blued guns. I learned to take care of them as a kid with a Winchester Model 12 20gauge that I still have. There wasn't much blueing on it even back then so, I had to stay on top of the rust prevention discipline or it would rust. If I forgot and put it away without wiping it down, my Dad would always somehow find out and let me know that it is a responsibility that is not negotiable and, if I wasn't responsible enough to wipe it down after use, I might be back to the pellet gun.

I'm trying Renaissance wax on a blued rifle. I'll be hunting Prince of Wales the first two weeks of November and am expecting a lot of rain. I've read other posts on other web sites of folks using Johnson paste wax on their guns for years.

here is the link to all the info you need! http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ghlight=rancid
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I generally take a plastic stock out hunting now when I know it's going to be a wet hunt. However, if I knew that my wood stocked rifle was going to get a soaking, I would not only protect the barrel, but I would wax the heck out of the barrel channel and anywhere else water can seep in. For the 99s, it is easy to take off the fore arm to do that. The butt is easy to take off as well and wax where the wings meet the receiver and around the tang and recoil lug. Additionally I would squirt a bunch of oil under the rear sight leaf, they sure like to rust there.

I have looked all over Anchorage for LPS#3............Where can I find it......??? I even went to the new Alaska Industrial Hardware store.......no-joy.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    For my beat around skiff guns I've always been happy with LPS3, but it's pretty thick and gooey for all day handling. In cooler weather it hardens up pretty good, almost like a lacquer coating, but in warm, not so good. I sure wouldn't want to get it on any moving parts cool or warm, though.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I have looked all over Anchorage for LPS#3............Where can I find it......??? I even went to the new Alaska Industrial Hardware store.......no-joy.
    Try aircraft mx supply stores... Give Aviall and Stoddards a call
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    I keep an oiled shop rag in a ziplock in my pocket and periodically wipe the gun down during the day. Just takes a minute, no rust after many weeks of hunting. Keeping rust off will require some effort on your part. There is no magic "rust proof" aerosol or grease that will stay put forever.
    That sounds like a good idea. I'm gonna start doin that.

I coat everything with rig grease, tape the muzzle, and paint the stock insides with that thick Birchwood stock finish.

Talking BA here, I empty the magazine and wipe any moisture out of the inside, and off the cartridges each evening if it's very wet.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Armymark View Post
    I use a barber brush and a small bottle of CLP. The brush allows you to get all the nooks and crannies. I put a few drops on the brush and paint. Once the brush has some in it you can whip it out when you need it. This is a trick we used in the Army as the brush is handy and fast. Barrels that have gotten real hot then cool down and then exposed to moisture rust right before your eyes. The brush is fast and handy. I still use them and have them all over the place in my shop and huntin kit. I think they are 5 bucks and Fred Meyers always has them.
    THAT is a SHAVING BRUSH. I got a couple, but I've been using a lil ole paint brush for the guns.

I never thought of putting oil on it.

Thanks to you and the Army for the idea.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    THAT is a SHAVING BRUSH. I got a couple, but I've been using a lil ole paint brush for the guns.

I never thought of putting oil on it.

Thanks to you and the Army for the idea.

SOTN
    Hooah! Have one for oiling leather kit like boots, belts and slings too.

I started using Frog Lube after reading and enjoying Rancid Crabtrees extensive testing and I really like the results so far. It seems to really fill in the pores in metal and clings strongly without feeling sticky or gummy. They sell very small packs that are easy to stuff in a gear bag or zip lock. I may try rubbing it on wood and see what happens, it should be fine for that use as well....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Buying a shaving brush.

Wax works really well. Used it for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I started using Frog Lube after reading and enjoying Rancid Crabtrees extensive testing and I really like the results so far. It seems to really fill in the pores in metal and clings strongly without feeling sticky or gummy. They sell very small packs that are easy to stuff in a gear bag or zip lock. I may try rubbing it on wood and see what happens, it should be fine for that use as well....
    I picked up a can of Oneshot based on Crabtree's test. Easy to apply, dries on, doesn't smell, and kept my 12 ga "bear" gun rust free after spending a day in the rain on the ATV. I didn't do anything else with the gun until the following weekend and it was still fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast