Thread: heaviest motor on a Scott HB?

Default heaviest motor on a Scott HB?

I tried to read threads on this, but fell asleep reading and finding stink. So.... how heavy a motor do you guys run on a Scott Hudson Bay? I can brace up the transom if need be. I've got a 155 lb Mud Buddy now, but am considering a jetted outboard.... again, but bigger this time. 30 hp to 50 hp jumps you up 50 lbs. Is 210 lbs too much? I thought I read a few years ago where one guy here runs a 40 hp on his. Thanks. john

Transom would be ok on the water. IMHO but would not want to trailer it that way to much weight out of the water. Have you ran it with a lift with setback?

kk: thanks for the reply. motor would be supported, just like my mud buddy is. i built the trailer long enough just for that reason: flat bed. i don't want a lift; i am apparently going to pioneer installing a tunnel, as i have not been able to get any feedback on such on two forums. i'll have to check into tunnels on flat bottoms and give mine my best guess. john

A tunnel on a "Y" stern? Not sure how you are going to accomplish that? What are you going to attach it to? After you figure that out, run the scenario of all that weight you are talking about...bouncing ( smashing ) it into the rocky bottom of a river....

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    A tunnel on a "Y" stern? That is the plan.
    Not sure how you are going to accomplish that? Neither am I. That is why I am asking questions. I can't find anyone who's done this.
    What are you going to attach it to? "Attach it to"? The hull will be cut out to form the tunnel.
    After you figure that out, run the scenario of all that weight you are talking about...bouncing... Run the scenario of a 155 lb motor (Mud Buddy) and a 175 lb driver sitting right in front of it. Both far outweigh a 210 lb outboard. With an outboard, the driver will be up front, using a steering wheel.
    Pls see after the bullets. j