Thread: Timing Black Bear Hibernation????

Default Timing Black Bear Hibernation????

Just wondering when black bears, that live on the Kenai Peninsula, take to hibernating? Would a trip on Halloween weekend be too late? #huntwhenicanhaveababy

Well, I'm probably not the best to answer this since I don't have much experience but Kenai blackies are where all my focus has been. Ive seen 9-11 black bears this fall though that was only on one hunt and it was about a month ago. I haven't seen any since and I've been out twice since then, including back to the same area I originally saw the bears. I will keep trying until the weather says I'm done. Halloween weekend may be a little late but based on my research bear hibernation isn't so much based on time as it is conditions. If the snow isn't there yet and the food is still out then there may be some bears out still. You wont know unless you try so if you have the time and opportunity you might as well give it a shot. You will never know if you would have had a chance at a bear if you stay home. Once they den up you will probably have to wait until May or so before you get another chance.

So long as there is food available, they'll stay out.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    So long as there is food available, they'll stay out.
    What he said.

Bears don't hibernate because it's winter. They hibernate because winter eliminates their food.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

And some BIG boars do no really hibernate. In the 80's a 10 foot brown bear was coming into Port Alsworth (on Lake Clark) pretty much daily all winter. It was shot on Jan. first, and found to be in perfect health.