Thread: Transport back to the lower 48

Question Transport back to the lower 48

I am trying to get a jump on our trip this fall in terms of getting the meat and or antlers back. Can anyone give some direction or recommendations on how to get meat back to MN from Anchorage. I get a discount with Fed-Express and am looking for someplace that I can get packing material. Do the antlers have to be crated? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Anchorage, Alaska, United States

Antlers on airlines have to have the tip covered. Most people either use cardboard or cut a hose into small pieces and place the on the antler/horn tips. I would assume Sportsman warehouse should have that.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Mail the antlers

When I had my dad up , he got a decent caribou, and the easier & cheapest way to get them back to the states was to split the skull and ship through UPS. They did all the packaging, and shipped them to Missouri for about $170. He got them in like 3 days with no problems.

Missoula, MT

I absolutely agree with Monte. Major airline no longer take antlers, unless it is Alaska Air. Might want to check out with airline. D&C Expaditers can ship the horns and cape for you but it is the cost of another hunt!!

Meat is always expensive. It might be best to have in vaccum sealed and frozen while in AK.

Good luck. J.

Las Vegas Nevada

Default Antlers

Most airlines will still take antlers for a fee and if they are covered (the tips) US air/America west charges $75 for 1 set. Check your airline website under baggage requirements for more info. As far as meat, get it cut and flash frozen overnight and then ship it overnight to your home in 50 lbs boxes via fed ex ect. Most fish and meat companies in anchorage or fairbanks can accomplish this for you.

Thanks this is the kind of infomation I was looking for. Sounds like it could get expensive. Three of us are comming up and we are planning on donating most of the meat. I get a discount with Fed-Ex so I will proablbly use them.

Default Depends on how fast and how big

Last year I had to deal with both meat and antlers out of Fairbanks. If you choose to have some of the meat sent to you, leave that to the company that is doing the processing. They do that sort of thing on a regular basis. Of course I would compare the discount you get and they could also use your shipping number.

Another hunter I met on the fly out was determined to get his antlers shipped out without cutting the skull plate along with the cape. He ended up using Alaskan Air Freight but be warned... you must have a "Known Shipper" ID to do this. I called in a favor and arranged it for him. Size of the antlers is the biggest factor to consider. If you are willing to cut the skull plate, you have several options open to you including UPS & FedEx. Another consideration if you don't mind a wait is the postal service. The price is definately right as I mail back a lot of my gear.

As for the packing... The easiest way I have found is a trip to the local Home Depot or Lowes. Buy a cheap garden hose, some duct tape, and plastic stretch film. Walk around back and you will find plenty of cardboard boxes and packing materials that they are throwing away. May sound a bit "redneck" but I trust what I do a lot more than what others do.

3 years ago I shipped all of my personal gear in carboard boxes scrounged from a local grocery store in Bethel along with my split 'bou antlers wrapped in carboard to Michigan via good old US Postal Service. I sent mine pirority mail and they beat me home due to a little sight seeing we did out of Anchorage before flying home. My buddy sent his regular parcel post and his three packages arrived over a four week week period with the antlers arriving last of course. I paid more but felt it was worth it to have everything back fast.

We then brought three 70 lb boxes of boned, frozen meat and one 40 lb box with both capes back as checked luggage plus one double gun case. We paid the extra baggage fee for the one extra piece of checked baggage and for the three boxes that weighed over 50 lbs.

I've read about many different ways of getting stuff back home but would do it this same way again - and hopefully will be again this fall though it will be moose meat and antlers this time!

Default Moose will be a LOT of Meat

Wayne G - sure you already know this, but boned out moose meat will require many more boxes, as it can be between 500 and 600 pounds for a big one. I shot a decent bull last year, 56" but only about 5 years old, not huge in body compared to some old fellers, and it was just under 500 pounds of boned out meat and burger when all was said and done.

Default Usps

USPS has a size limitation on mailing boxes. My father-in-law and I managed to mail 2 split racks in one box after some creative packaging and a nice mail lady measuring the box in Kotzebue.

I 2nd getting approved as a "Known Shipper" for Alaska Airlines.

If you intend to mount a moose, you don't want to split the rack. I got mine home in one piece from King Salmon last year for that reason. They were 63 inches wide with big brows.

First of all, NWA and United will not accept unsplit antlers as cargo anymore. Period. I shipped them from King Salmon whole in a huge cardboard box they supplied with Alaska air. They got it to Anchoarge, where Fed Ex then shipped in on to my home in Indiana. It cost me $510 to get my intact- though smelly and green- antlers to my door.

I shipped the cape separate the same way. It cost an additional $250. Meat was also shipped this way for even more money.

I used an D&C expeditors in Anchorage to ship a rack in 2005, but I was able to get the rack to Anc. myself. It was a 53 inch rack, but was also shipped without splitting it.

Don mulligan