Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crown Mountain Goat!

Default Crown Mountain Goat!

Flew to Kodiak on Oct 5 with the intent to harvest a goat on my coveted Crown mountain goat tag. 2 friends and myself arrived in Kodiak and were picked up by Seahawk air and driven around to collect fuel and have breakfast.

Weighed all of us and our gear, 85 pounds under! Perfect! Roland arrived at the dock and unloaded Louis and Ruth Cusack and Ruth was nice enough to show us pics of her goat harvest. Congratulations and Good lucks were exchanged, fuel pumped in the plane and we were off. Unfortunately it was to windy to land up high on a lake and we used the backup plan of landing on Hidden Basin on the saltwater.

Unloaded gear and set up campimage.jpg we then grabbed optics and headed up Wild creek to see what we could see. Watched a beautiful Billy until sundown and returned to camp for some dinner.

Next morning up for a quick breakfast and packs loaded. Beautiful morning of sunny skies and no wind. We headed up Wild creek again to choose a route up the mountain. 2500 feet to go! We picked a route that looked doable to get high and get into the area we needed to be. We started up a chute and the higher we got the more loose the rocks became and it became a 3 steps forward, 2 slides back. But we were gaining elevation slowly but surely, as we got higher i also noticed the small seeps of water were becoming less frequent so I guzzled a quart of Gatorade and refilled my water. Little did we know that would be the last water we saw until we got to our camping spot.

As we climbed higher and higher it became apparent that things from below are not reality on the side of the mountain, the bench that we saw from below that we thought we could cross was an impenetrable morass of alders and the infamous "Kodiak sticker whip". So we did what we had to do and continued climbing until our chute ran out and we had to just plunge into the jungle and after that it was hand over hand climbing and cussing. We finally sidehilled enough to start getting clear of brush and I found a patch of blueberries and greedily ate handful after handful.

We finally got into a bowl and found a level spot to pitch our tents and had a nice little stream running by it. And even better news. Goats were everywhere. We ate a Mountain house and hit the rack, tired but happy we had made it. That night the moon and stars were out so bright I'm pretty sure we could have seen goats.

The next morning it was COLD!! Up and Jetboiled water for oatmeal and coffee, stamped out our frozen boots and started glass ing. 7 goats magically appeared over a far ridge and the Big Billy we had watched had decided he was leaving the area he had been staying. So, we waited for him to feed around the corner of the mountain and headed in his direction. Meanwhile the 7 other goats we had seen had bedded down. We got in position to drop our packs and creep over a small hill and hopefully get a shot at the Big Billy. As we crept up to the top, No Goat! ***! Where did he go? We started glassing and finally found him he had started climbing and had gotten higher than we thought. Then, we also saw he was close to a Nanny and kid now that we hadn't seen before. We backed down and started circling around the mountain more to get into better position. We were moving when we looked up and "Busted" the nanny was watching us. I ranged her at 367 yards and it was a standoff as we waited fo the Billy to show himself. No dice, Billy never shows. The Nanny moves back behind a rock pile and we move to a small drainage out of sight. We climbed another 500 up the small drainage and dropped our packs below the top to crawl up to the top. As we topped out we could see the Billy still feeding across the mountain, out of range. ****!

As we are sitting there, my friend Adam says: Don't move! There are goats right behind us. Yep. Right above us. 3 goats. I slowly turned around, grabbed my rifle and scooch slowly up a little higher. As they goats were above us one steps out and looks down at us. It's a Billy! Safety off, Boom! 24 yards! One shot, dead goat! After helping others pack goats off the mountain it was finally my turn! The other 2 goats just stood there looking at their partner who barely wiggled. This is what we got.image.jpg

8.5 inch with 5.5 inch bases. caped for a full body mount and boned out the meat. Packed up and headed back to camp. Celebrated with a Mountain house and coffee and went to bed. Next morning dawned beautiful again so we packed up and started off the mountain. It was going along well until the drainage we were following out waterfalled out and we had to backtrack and bushwhack 2 different times. We arrived back at our base camp right at dark and were so exhausted we didn't even eat, just rolled out our sleeping bags and went to bed. 30 minutes later it started raining and blowing. Perfect timing! The next day we rested around camp and fleshed out the cape. The next morning as we were not seeing any deer we called Roland for a pickup and broke down our camp. Roland picked us up around noon and we managed to change our flights and get back to Anchorage at 7 pm.

Great hunt, great service from Roland and big thanks to my friends Adam and Jason for going along and being pack mules.

Nice writeup with beautiful pictures. Congrats and thanks, you made my Monday.

Congratulations........Nice`story & photos.

Well done Gents, was cool to meet ya. Nice Billy indeed!!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Congrats on a great animal. You earned that one!

Sounds like a great trip. Congrats on a fine looking billy.

That's a fun area to hunt. Kind of late now, but there is a trail that would have taken you all the way up to the bowl to the lake on top bypassing all of the alders and salmon berries. It originates by that creeks that flows into the east side of Hidden Basin.

Ha Ha! Thanks Adam! A little late is better than never! Besides, we needed the excerise!

Congratulations! That sounds like a great hunt and its a fantastic story.

Congrats! sounds like a great hunt, nice pics

Congrats again on a great goat and adventure! It was fun meeting you guys and hearing some of the stories in person!

Thanks Becca! Can't wait to read your write-up but still mostly waiting for pics of what Steve cooked on your trip!

Wow 24 yards! Nice job!

It was for sure the hardest hunt for me so far!! But I am now putting in for goat and sheep permits!! What an experience!!

Great story great goat.

I have killed 2 billies in Washington.
    Everybody needs to hunt these bad boys at least once in their life!!!!

You goat hunters have me inspired! Hitting the treadmill again & getting the permit suplement
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Great job, Kelly and company! Enjoyed the story and photos. Glad you're looking at a life-size for your goat. What an awesome trophy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast