Thread: S.E Deer Hunt

Default S.E Deer Hunt

First time going after deer (unit 4) at the end of the month.

Q. Are they responsive to calls? Rattling?

Doe bleats during the rut...a sure fire thing.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I had a great time rattling on POW last year, they came in quick and fast for sure. The bleat is always a winner, but remember if you are in an area with a fair number of hunters that they can get wise to that pretty quick. i.e. I never call on Douglas Island because I've literally watched deer run away from my call when I first started hunting here.

Never be afraid to plant your butt in a good area and do it whitetail style.....again, especially if there are a fair amount of hunters aroundl. I'm amazed at how fast SE hunters move when they say they are hunting. I've sat several times for a few hours in one spot and watched guys walk all around me, and never heard a shot....except my own

I now people have luck but two years ago i hunted around Thorn Bay and couldn't get one to come in. I did kill one but it was on a known trail.

Thanks for the info, This hunt is nothing like I've done before.

Good luck.. I hunted there last Nov for 13 days... Saw 9 deer total and shot a PnY buck on the last day. Hunted dusk til dawn each day and worked my tail off. If you plan to shoot one with a bow, don't bring a rifle. Have fun....

Doe bleats are where it's at for the rut here in SE. Over where I'm at, no one rattles antlers to attract bucks. Maybe once as a novelty to say you've done it, but it doesn't seem to produce like a deer call. Deer are beginning to come in to the call over where I'm at. Called in a buck last weekend and the weekend before as well. Others are having luck also.

Just got back, calls did not work for use. Did some sneaking around and ended up with a few. It's a different type of hunting for sure, I'd of liked to see the call work. Always next time.

Quote Originally Posted by FullFreezer View Post
    Just got back, calls did not work for use. Did some sneaking around and ended up with a few. It's a different type of hunting for sure, I'd of liked to see the call work. Always next time.

I've only got three years of blacktail hunting under my belt and am slowly piecing together how this whole calling thing works. My experience so far has ranged from deer bolting in to the point I almost had to shoot in self defense......to them sneaking in 45 minutes later and busting me as they peered at me from 100 yards.....to the doe busting in but the buck holding back in the bushes......to absolutely nothing for two hours of sitting there after a few calling sessions. The biggest thing I've learned is I have a lot to learn..... But deer hunting in SE is absolutely cool.....that's for certain.

After some blown calling situations on Douglas Island, I ended up dancing with the girl that brought me.....that being super duper slow sneak hunting and sitting for long stretches in good spots. Both ended up working really well but I am looking forward to having these epic calling experiences everyone keeps talking about. Just don't have the confidence in it yet.....

I've been calling in deer for almost two weeks now .... slow actions in this very rainy weather pattern but some action ... called in two bucks this week that we took ... one real nice one yesterday followed the Doe in charging at 25 yards.

It's getting better every day.

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    I've been calling in deer for almost two weeks now .... slow actions in this very rainy weather pattern but some action ... called in two bucks this week that we took ... one real nice one yesterday followed the Doe in charging at 25 yards.

It's getting better every day.
    Pics please Johnnie. 😁

Not much to look at, 1st deer with a bow. Looking forward to hunting them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting withing stick flinging range of a blacktail is no small feat, don't shortchange yourself man, that is a sweet photo!!!
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

nice Buck .... FF .... good job ... it's been tough weather.

Nice job, it's a dandy, conrats great job buddy.