Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sitting on animal for "trophy shot"??

Default Sitting on animal for "trophy shot"??

Why do people feel the need to sit on their animals for their "trophy shot" photos? Maybe it's just me, but I think it's disrespectful as hell to the animal.

I don't care for it either. I try to take 5 minutes and maybe a paper towel to make my pictures look nice. If possible I like it to look like I'm sitting beside a sleeping animal. Not that I'm offended by blood or anything, I just like the photos I hang in my house to look nice.

I agree........it is disrespectful. My guess is that there is a feeling of conquest of a beast. There is the illiusion of superority, having subdued a massive monster. Hunters sitting on a dead animal look like "RICHARDS". Even more un-graspable is the the giddy-eleven year old girl gigglesand high-five on videos. Having guide hundrends of hunters, I have to most respect for the German&Austrian hunters, for their reverence and grace that an animal has just given it's life. REALLY you have just MURDERED something that was majestic, show atleast a small amount of respect.

To the RICHARDS, on this forum who say I should be posting on some bambie forum........Know I have killed/murderd more animals than most here can imagine..........it has been a lot.......there is some pride, and a lot of disguest, so is the truth of an old hunter. And I will NEVER ever forget the first animal I killed, I cried for hours, I was 9 y/o.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    Why do people feel the need to sit on their animals for their "trophy shot" photos? Maybe it's just me, but I think it's disrespectful as hell to the animal.

I agree. Sitting on the animal is disrespectful.

The Kid - I agree with the paper towel usage to clean up blood. I have also used the 'eraser' button when editing photos to take remove 'excess' blood. It just is nice to have a clean and 'peaceful' look. Tuck the legs under, stick the tongue back in the mouth, and pose for a picture you can be proud to show to everyone.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Agree with the OP and the subsequent replies.

As outdoorsfolk we should respect the outdoors, the environment, the Wild...And that respect should especially be shown to the animals we harvest.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    I agree. Sitting on the animal is disrespectful..... stick the tongue back in the mouth, and pose for a picture you can be proud to show to everyone.
    I think sitting on the critter is disrespectful as heck and JuliW hit my second trophy photo pet peeve on the head...a photo with the tongue sticking out.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Another picture peeve is when the hunter sits several feet, or even yards behind the critter in order to make it look larger.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I think sitting on the critter is disrespectful as heck and JuliW hit my second trophy photo pet peeve on the head...a photo with the tongue sticking out.
    #3 pet peeve (less serious, but still bugs me) is the rifle laid across the antlers as though the antlers were a gun rack.

The worst picture ever posted on here (which I subsequently deleted) was a caribou with a beer can balanced on its nose. Disgusting, to be frank.

I too clean blood as much as reasonably possible and close the mouth. I don't necessarily try to make the animal seem as though it is sleeping peacefully - I'll lift the head and turn it to give various views of the animal - but I certainly don't take photos where I'm on the animal. If a particular picture turns out poorly, the simple answer is to not share it. I'd say I take at least 20-30 pictures of every animal, so there are generally a few great ones and a few terrible ones. I really enjoy having those photographic memories of the experience, but it needs to be done with tact and respect.

Are you guys kidding me?

You all have heads decorating your walls, some of you hang your guns on them, and you think back to the time of when you took said animal with fond memories.

The tounge when you shoot an anmial is a given, on a moose unless you cut it out it is going to be there.

Grow up people.

( and I'll bet everyone of you have a pic that you would'nt show, but you took it.)

I bet all of you would give me heck for my avatar, but look what is hanging on it, I used every part of that moose,,,,,,,,,,, enough said.

Just the word trophy gets me.The only way to get a trophy is to best all comers on equal terms
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Last place is awarded trophies now a days. How we love to brag and pat our own backs, even on mediocrity.

Just taking pictures of killed game, no matter how "tasteful" it appears, can be viewed as disrespectful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

I always say they were soooo much prettier when they were standing up, and try to make them as pretty as possible when they are laying down.

The sitting back a few yards thing doesn't really bug me, but I don't do it. My photos are really just 2-d memories of 3-d experiences. If the hunt didn't go down as I had wanted, there usually isn't a picture, and some of my most favorite pictures are not of anything most would call a "tropy"

Lol this threads funny.
    First off, sitting on a critter is in no way any more disrespectful than what you've already done to it. Just a matter of photo preference. That being said I have zero photos sitting on them. Don't like it.
    Hate people holdin horns or antlers as well
    Don't like guns on animals
    Don't like blood
    Don't like crotch shots (bears on their backs)
    Don't like stuff being held up by the ears or the neck while straddling it
    Don't like airplanes boats trucks fourwheelers in pictures either
    I could go on, but I take pictures for my memories, not so much to make other people happy.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Certainly a lot of personal preference here. Over the years I've done a lot of pictures with dead critters that haven't turned out as I wanted (usually because my ugly mug is in them ). Did a bear head on a stump that at the time seemed like a good idea. Don't ever recall sitting on one though. A lot of time blood in unavoidable, especially with the white critters.

My real pet peeve though isn't photo's its the way people display their "trophy". I can't stand the snarling, super angry bear mounts. How often does the bear display that expression in life? I'm sure it wasn't that expression when you shot it.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Certainly a lot of personal preference here. Over the years I've done a lot of pictures with dead critters that haven't turned out as I wanted (usually because my ugly mug is in them ). Did a bear head on a stump that at the time seemed like a good idea. Don't ever recall sitting on one though. A lot of time blood in unavoidable, especially with the white critters.

My real pet peeve though isn't photo's its the way people display their "trophy". I can't stand the snarling, super angry bear mounts. How often does the bear display that expression in life? I'm sure it wasn't that expression when you shot it.
    I agree with you on the bear mounts being super aggressive....I prefer a closed or semi open mouth mount, or relaxed panting/smelling look.... but I could understand a more aggressive mount if the bear had been charging the hunter or if they had been watching the bear fighting with another bear.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    First off, sitting on a critter is in no way any more disrespectful than what you've already done to it.

I completely disagree. When I'm lucky enough to harvest an animal, it's a very special moment and done with respect to the animal. That's the way I was raised and that's the way I will continue to raise my kids. Photos of harvested animals with the hunter sitting on the animal are extremely distasteful in my opinion.

The only solution to this problem is all the picture of dead animals, fish and birds be remove from this web site. A “picture ethical committee” (PEC) be formed. ALL dead animal pictures must be approve by the PEC before posting.

This is the only way to make sure people who don't mind killing animals are not offended by seeing pictures that do not meet there standards.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    The only solution to this problem is all the picture of dead animals, fish and birds be remove from this web site. A “picture ethical committee” (PEC) be formed. ALL dead animal pictures must be approve by the PEC before posting.

This is the only way to make sure people who don't mind killing animals are not offended by seeing pictures that do not meet there standards.
    Great idea! I nominate Laker Taker to be committee chair! All in favor???

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Just the word trophy gets me.The only way to get a trophy is to best all comers on equal terms
    Absolutely agreed. I'm not bothered when others use it, but it's always made me cringe when it's used in reference to something I've taken. I can't quite explain why, but the word doesn't sit well with me in reference to hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    I completely disagree. When I'm lucky enough to harvest an animal, it's a very special moment and done with respect to the animal. That's the way I was raised and that's the way I will continue to raise my kids. Photos of harvested animals with the hunter sitting on the animal are extremely distasteful in my opinion.
    And how is this different than the pictures of hunters holding up the paws, or picking up a bear head? Not saying it is, or isn't, just saying. Slippery slope this "ethics" business.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast