Thread: First Bow

Default First Bow

Picked up my first bow last week. Matthews Switchback LD. Couldn't be happier and doubt I will need to buy a different bow for a very long time, if ever. Tightening up the groups a little more every day. Plan to take the certification class this summer. I doubt I'll be hunting with it this fall, but I am excited about the opportunities for the future.

The folks at Fletcher's Archery in Wasilla are great!

-Carnivore
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Default Congrats

It is nice to see more people getting in to archery.

Welcome to the club...... Hope to see you in the class soon
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
    Picked up my first bow last week. Matthews Switchback LD. Couldn't be happier and doubt I will need to buy a different bow for a very long time, if ever. Tightening up the groups a little more every day. Plan to take the certification class this summer. I doubt I'll be hunting with it this fall, but I am excited about the opportunities for the future.

The folks at Fletcher's Archery in Wasilla are great!

-Carnivore
    Carnivore, if you don't mind, how much are you in for? Understand I am starting from zero. I am contemplating the same thing and was wondering how prices at home compare to what's advertised as MSRP and internet shopping sites. Thanks.

Default PM

Quote Originally Posted by AKdreamn View Post
    Carnivore, if you don't mind, how much are you in for? Understand I am starting from zero. I am contemplating the same thing and was wondering how prices at home compare to what's advertised as MSRP and internet shopping sites. Thanks.
    Sent you a PM.

Default Draw Weight?

Since you are new to bowhunting, as I will be, I am curious. What draw weight did you start out at? How much weight adjustment does your LD have? Do you find it difficult to draw? Are you getting stronger quickly?

Thanks again for the info. I am really excited to get back home and get started.

Default draw

I had them set it at 60 lbs. I shot it for a couple hours in the shop at that weight. With only a few days of shooting I'm ready to have them move it up to about 65-67 where I expect to hunt from. It is no problem to draw, but my form is noticably different after a while as I start to subconciously fight it a little bit. Today I set the target up in the yard and shot for about a half hour and then just left it set up all day. As I was working on things around the place here I would go and shoot 6 arrows every half hour or so. My patterns decreased considerably by stepping up to the bow fresh and putting complete focus on the form of the shot.

-Carnivore

Quote Originally Posted by AKdreamn View Post
    Since you are new to bowhunting, as I will be, I am curious. What draw weight did you start out at? How much weight adjustment does your LD have? Do you find it difficult to draw? Are you getting stronger quickly?

Thanks again for the info. I am really excited to get back home and get started.