Thread: stupid n00b questions about vaquero smithing

Default stupid n00b questions about vaquero smithing

So I have this idea in my head for my next revolver. I can't buy it from a factory, I am going to have to have something modified.

What I have is a TALO New Vaquero, 3.75" bbl, 45 Colt, birdshead grips. I am keeping it, but it really hurts to fire more than 12 rounds through it. The birdshead carries real nice, I managed to get about 2k rounds through it last year a few at a time. While I do have a redhawk in my safe for special occasions in general I feel pretty safe in most of the interior most of the time packing 45 Colt loaded to 20k psi.

So for my new gun I want a 45 Colt New Vaquero with a 3.75" bbl and a standard plow handle grip. Montado, right? Except for the polished stainless finish, yup, that's exactly the one. So I have one on the way from Ohio and I am going to have to have the polished stainless finish flattened.

Andy suggested I get busy with a scotch-brite pad. Any other ideas? Bench grinder with which pad or brush in it?

Another problem/ challenge/ opportunity at my age the .080" wide standard Ruger front blade isn't real visible to me. In Elmer Keith's _Sixguns_ he mentions .100 to .125 is better for a lot of folks, and even mentions that "older" folks like myself can do better with shorter sight radius guns because our eyes just aren't as accommodating as they used to be. I am, ahem, one of those.

So stupid n00b question number two, how hard is it really to braze in a wider blade? Would it be better to build up the factory sight with JB weld or somesuch?

Also, I am looking to give long distance shooting a whirl with his thing. Whether I widen or replace the factory front blade, I am going to have to do something about the rear sight. Bear in mind I am going to be loading 255gr bullets to 20k psi. I have seen some pretty good velocity with faster powders like tite-group, but much better groups with more moderate powders like Unique.

So I have an idea for a rear sight that ought to leave most of the factory hardened cylinder frame untouched. Stupid Question #3, why not braze in a small piece of flat stock as drawn not to scale - and then I'll file the notch to my load?

FWIW I would like this gun to come out nice enough to pass in open carry for a Texas BBQ gun or more often a Fairbanks wedding gun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by swmn View Post
    Except for the polished stainless finish, yup, that's exactly the one. So I have one on the way from Ohio and I am going to have to have the polished stainless finish flattened.

Andy suggested I get busy with a scotch-brite pad. Any other ideas? Bench grinder with which pad or brush in it?
    You might consider looking into bead blasting it.

how hard is it really to braze in a wider blade? Would it be better to build up the factory sight with JB weld or somesuch?
    If it were me, I'd go with a dovetail sight.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Your front sight is pinned in so you can just widen the hole after the sight is removed drill the hole in the new sight and replace pin. For the rear just file the notch to what you need. Cut down an old buffalo nickle for the front sight.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

3M 7447 Type A very fine scotch brite pads and a little oil matches some Ruger brushed Stainless finishes pretty well.

Pretty easy to make a new sight. I make new rear sight blades for my Redhawks/SuperRedhawks often. I like a .127 rear notch with a .125 front sight.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    You might consider looking into bead blasting it.
    Yup said that too, blasting with walnut hulls dulls nicely to matt without ruffing the surface much. Scotch Bright, 0000 steel, fine wire wheel on a dremmel, and a host of other thinks also work well and each give their own look.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Your front sight is pinned in so you can just widen the hole after the sight is removed drill the hole in the new sight and replace pin. For the rear just file the notch to what you need. Cut down an old buffalo nickle for the front sight.
    Vaquero sight is soldered on so I think Montado would be too. They make slip-over glue on blades for this. I mill them off and re-cut the notch for the new one. The new can be soldered on with lower temp pluming/electrical solder and will hold great because of the notch doing most of the work, JB weld will also work but will show more.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Ok, another dumb question. I noticed on my blued birdshead that holster wear has worn the bluing right off the most critical part of the front sight.

Is there such a thing as a metal that is black all the way through? So it will still be non-reflective after I have been carrying it holstered for twenty years or so?

Nuther stupid question. Whipped up a blank for the rear sight tonight. I am going to shoot some more groups off a rest at measured distances, do some math, cut some off the top of the rear sight blank and cut a notch in the middle of the top.

Once all that is done, how can I attach it stout enough to shoot with it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

swmn; why not save yourself all the trouble ( and expense that can't be recovered ) and buy/trade for a short barrel blackhawk? that way most of your sighting and grip problems are solved?

this is a lipsey's ruger.
    happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    swmn; why not save yourself all the trouble ( and expense that can't be recovered ) and buy/trade for a short barrel blackhawk? that way most of your sighting and grip problems are solved?

this is a lipsey's ruger.
    Yeah, I looked at the Blackhawks pretty hard. For now I am shooting enough to maintain muscle memory with my Redhawk for field use and trying to get enough practice with SA to build that muscle memory up.

To me, pros for the Blackkhawk are 1) Its a ruger

cons: the bigger cylinder is a bit harder for me to conceal (5'10", 180#)

I don't need adjustable sights, I can settle for sights adjusted to the load I already have. I don't need the 32k psi loading limit for EDC around town.

Also, I can see the front sight blade better with a shorter sight radius.

I can see the .130" front blade on my 4" redhawk pretty good. The .080" front blade on my New Vaquero is borderline, and I am not getting any younger. Another thing is the 3.75" bbl NV rides just fine hosltered (I have a Mernickle PSA6xx) everywhere I go, my truck, my boat, my wife's truck, the couch, my desk; it just disappears under a blazer or a sweater or a fleece and is never in my way.

OTOH I can see someday shelving the Redhawk and switching to SA only. When I am good enough with SA to put my DA Redhawk away I will absolutely be bringing home a Blackhawk.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Yeah, I looked at the Blackhawks pretty hard. For now I am shooting enough to maintain muscle memory with my Redhawk for field use and trying to get enough practice with SA to build that muscle memory up.

To me, pros for the Blackkhawk are 1) Its a ruger

cons: the bigger cylinder is a bit harder for me to conceal (5'10", 180#)

I don't need adjustable sights, I can settle for sights adjusted to the load I already have. I don't need the 32k psi loading limit for EDC around town.

Also, I can see the front sight blade better with a shorter sight radius.

I can see the .130" front blade on my 4" redhawk pretty good. The .080" front blade on my New Vaquero is borderline, and I am not getting any younger. Another thing is the 3.75" bbl NV rides just fine hosltered (I have a Mernickle PSA6xx) everywhere I go, my truck, my boat, my wife's truck, the couch, my desk; it just disappears under a blazer or a sweater or a fleece and is never in my way.

OTOH I can see someday shelving the Redhawk and switching to SA only. When I am good enough with SA to put my DA Redhawk away I will absolutely be bringing home a Blackhawk.
    Ever bodie's difffent, eye-wise, BUT mine can see the front sight better with a wider Notch in the Rear sight. (More Light on both sides)

My ML, for example, has a very narrow front sight. A thin blade. With the rear sight notch widened, I can see it fine, where previously, I couldn't.

My ML pistol, has the same kinda sights. I like them better than on another ML pistol that has a BEEG WIDE front sight.

Do you think that a wider Notch in the Rear Sight might help? How well can you see the front sight, without looking through the notch?

I note that in both cases, the sight radius is LONG compared to your handgun.

Just wondered if that might work for you, too.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

In Elmer Keith's _Sixguns_ he mentions .100 to .125 is better for a lot of folks, and even mentions that "older" folks like myself can do better with shorter sight radius guns because our eyes just aren't as accommodating as they used to be.

FWIW I would like this gun to come out nice enough to pass in open carry for a Texas BBQ gun or more often a Fairbanks wedding gun
    Sometimes, I think maybe, old Elmer was fulla beans.

I'm glad to hear that folks in Fairbanks are still marrying. A lot of folks down here, don't bother.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.