Thread: things I've learned

Default things I've learned

The things I've learned...

This is the first year I've had real opportunities to hunt ducks from a boat/blind situation. Always wanted to, and this year it became reality.

I can Hail Call - and the ducks will come... even if I can't see them on the horizon..many times they will appear 1-2 minutes later.
    but that doesn't mean they will come right in...in fact most of the time, they scoot by at about 60-100 yds on the first pass, maybe they will come back for a second or even third look with a comeback call,..and they might commit...but most of the time they fly on by...and I figure it is something I did, just don't know what (yet)
    Be 'vewy vewy still'
    Ducks fly in spurts...It can be dead quiet for an hour, then BAM...they are everywhere...
    Get to your hunting spot when it is still DARK.
    Don't set your dekes up so that you are looking into the sunrise. (DUH)
    I want a boat with surface drive motor. (LOL)
    It is ok to change your deke spread if you feel it will work better in another configuration. (It did)
    Get swan decoys.
    I need to have a gun that fits me, so I have a better chance of hitting what I am looking at.
    I need to practice shooting more.
    It is good to be covered from behind too...ducks flared off of us on the backside frequently...Next year the blind will be BETTER.
    The ducks that come within 5 yards of your blind are too close to shoot (yep, missed that BEAUTIFUL greenhead that I could almost have reached out and touched), but DANG, it sure is cool to see them lock up for landing.
    Pick a target - don't get sidetracked by lots of birds flying in.
    Be patient...Let them come in closer before you try taking your shot.
    Don't forget to try for a double!
    sky busting is like playing the lottery..it probably won't work and is really a waste of money..
    Being left handed makes it hard to shoot left to right crossing shots
    Use camo that matches your surroundings.
    Get a billed hat.
    take your dog and train them in the places you are going to hunt.
    Sometimes you luck into a location that is just 'good'...remember it for next year!

Next year I am sure the list of things I've learned will be longer. LOL..
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Julie,

Well spoken...many things on your list it seems I have to relearn every year Of all the items on your list I feel being VEWY STILL when birds are working is the most critical....I just have to convince Millie of that and not have her follow the birds as they circle behind...sometimes she turns with them. A small price to pay considering we have had a 100% recovery rate this year.

I learned that you better really like your duck hunting partner. Oh, and I will get working on that surface drive motor for next year, or maybe the year after that, after that, after that.... those things are spendy!

Quote Originally Posted by PCnAK View Post
    Julie,

Well spoken...many things on your list it seems I have to relearn every year Of all the items on your list I feel being VEWY STILL when birds are working is the most critical....I just have to convince Millie of that and not have her follow the birds as they circle behind...sometimes she turns with them. A small price to pay considering we have had a 100% recovery rate this year.
    Very nice to recover all your birds. Millie is a great dog! For a black one Actually I think my next will be a lab...looking into the english field breedings. (Black or maybe fox red)

Quote Originally Posted by Chesaka View Post
    I learned that you better really like your duck hunting partner. Oh, and I will get working on that surface drive motor for next year, or maybe the year after that, after that, after that.... those things are spendy!
    Here here! ...nothing wrong with being satisfied with what you have, either...the grass might be greener...then again, it might not!
    Taxidermy IS art!

Julie,

Where are you looking/thinking of for an english field breeding? I have had thoughts on an english breeding myself. I have spoken with Duck Hill and WildRose kennels. Do you know of any locals?

PCnAK

I've got a duck Hills dog and she is great. Smart learns quick and is doing all I can ask of her for only being a year old. I opted to get one of their smaller labs and she is small. I bet she dosnt hit 45lbs when she is fully filled out. I have not weighed her lately but I'm not sure she is even 40lbs yet

Quote Originally Posted by PCnAK View Post
    Julie,

Where are you looking/thinking of for an english field breeding? I have had thoughts on an english breeding myself. I have spoken with Duck Hill and WildRose kennels. Do you know of any locals?

PCnAK
    I have been in contact with a couple of breeders outside, but dont know if anyone in state has this type of breeding program. My experience in the hunt test game and training my own dogs has definitely shaped the type of qualities I am looking for...and I would also like the pup to come from a smaller kennel that works and trains their breeding dogs.

I considered very briefly a 'canoe lab' from wildrose but decided I did not like their puppy Mill approach to breeding.

I have narrowed my kennel/breeder choices down, I think, and would be happy to share that info through pm or email.

Would love to meet the duck hills pup, Tony!
    Taxidermy IS art!

Tony,

A second on wanting to meet your Duck Hill pup!

Julie,

Perhaps we can carve out a few minutes to compare notes when we bump into each other.

PCnAK

Here's my boy making his first retrieve this morning. Also my first bird of the season.

He is a Duckhill pup. I got him last Jan and am very happy with him so far. This is just the beginning with this guy, he is 1yr and has lots of learning to do. He is doing great so far, and will only get better with experience.

Here's one from this summer doing work!