Thread: B&M rifles

Default B&M rifles

Does anyone here own or have experience shooting any rifles made by B&M?

I wasn't acquainted with them until your post, but after googling them here I had a good read. I'm impressed and intrigued with what I see.

But I have to splash a little cold reality onto some of it. They tout "full 375 H&H velocities" from their 375 B&M in a 6.5# rifle with a 20" barrel. One of my 375's weighs an even 7#, and I get double vision following three quick OFFHAND shots with 300 grain loads. You don't even want to shoot it from the bench without a 25# bag of shot between you and the gun.

I've had it for years and it's my principal carry gun. Howcum? It's so darned nice to carry, even if it's a mother bear to shoot. But I think that CARRY and quick shooting are a big part of their formula. And it's a worthy formula in my experience. But don't go buying one of them thinking it's going to be fun to shoot.

I absolutely agree with you on the recoil. I laugh at the thought of shooting 400-500gr bullets from light guns. Their wood stocks look phenomenal but they also have models that have Winchester's factory synthetic stock, the weight of those rifles can't be very much. RECOIL! I am all about a 16-18" barreled rifle that shoots a magnum cartridge with efficiency but I would have to have one of these ported or suppressed to control the recoil. They have to be the most handy and fast shooting magnum bolt rifles on the market. For those shooting the 416, 458 & 50 models weighing about 6.5-7lbs don't tell me that when shooting an animal you never notice the recoil. That is B.S. I want one of the 416 models regardless myself. They sure would make a great mountain rifle due to weight and length.

Here is one of there rifles. I love the wood. How bad do you think the recoil would be? It is a 50. The parent case used by B&M for these magnums are converted Remington Ultra Mag cases. B&M.uploadfromtaptalk1413172880768.jpguploadfromtaptalk1413172907311.jpg

My guess is it would be more pleasant than the parent cartridge, but that's just a guess!

Sadly only jd jones will make them as he is only one authorized to use Thier reamer and he wanted 850 for a simple rebarrel. Great concept though

Quote Originally Posted by Kruger View Post
    Here is one of there rifles. I love the wood. How bad do you think the recoil would be? It is a 50. The parent case used by B&M for these magnums are converted Remington Ultra Mag cases. B&M.uploadfromtaptalk1413172880768.jpguploadfromtaptalk1413172907311.jpg
    Severe. Before you lay down the coin to acquire one, get on a plane to their shop so you can test drive it. It may save you a bunch of money.

If you have to have a .50, the least expensive route will be to buy a CZ-550 in .460 W and have a barrel screwed on chambered in .500 A-Square. You can load them down to subsonic, then slowly work your way up to your recoil limit.

To feed the beast you just anneal the neck of the .460W case, one pass through the die and load 'n' go.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Kills on one end, maims on the other. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    ...get on a plane to their shop so you can test drive it. It may save you a bunch of money.
    Man, is that ever good advice.

When it comes to boomers, perceived recoil is hugely influenced by how the stock fits you.

I have an original 450 Alaskan that fits me like a glove. It's actually fun to launch 400 grain bullets at close to 2400fps, actual chrono velocities. I can shoot it all day long offhand, and with only moderate discomfort from the bench. It sure rocks and rolls my upper body, and frankly it's a little difficult to keep my front foot on the ground unless I really lean into it.

But almost everyone else who shoots it gets the holy snot beat out of them, especially if they're smaller than my 6'4" and 220 with orangutan arms. Pretty clear that it was originally stocked for someone with my build, and it's just too long with the comb in all the wrong places for someone smaller. Watching guys shoot it is kinda like watching me shoot one of their guns stocked for their builds. It ain't a pretty sight, and it's not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    Kills on one end, maims on the other. :-)
    Pretty much.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...